Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News George Ziets Now on Formspring, Answering Your Questions

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: George Ziets; Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer; Obsidian Entertainment

Want to ask George Ziets (ex-Obsidian, narrative design on Mask of the Betrayer) a question? Why not visit his Formspring page, then? He's only recently started one and answered some questions there already, such as:

Apart from starting your own indie studio, have you considered working at/co-operating with one? As in, working outside the constraints of major productions/licensed products might give very interesting results, given your originality as a writer?

Sure - I’ve always wanted to develop a new IP, and it’s a rare opportunity in the industry. With the right team, I would consider an indie project (or starting a studio).

One of the standout moments in MotB was the scene between the spirit eater and Myrkul. Who wrote that scene?

I wrote the Myrkul scene (except for the Gann and Kaelyn lines, which were written by Chris Avellone).

A side note: Games are not always written sequentially, but MotB was. I started with the spirit barrow and worked my way through all the main plot dialogues, gradually building tension and unanswered questions until I reached the scene with Myrkul. It felt a lot like working my way through the plot of a novel. I think that sense of momentum really helped the Myrkul scene to work, like the big reveal in a Sherlock Holmes story. I doubt it would have turned out as well if I hadn't written that way.

Inspirations (Books, Movies) for Mask of the Betrayer?

No specific inspirations for the game as whole, but I am a Miyazaki fan, and you will find some homage moments to his movies. For example, the opening scenes of Spirited Away were an initial inspiration for the Slumbering Coven sequence, though that may or may not be evident. Certainly Okku and the animal spirits were partly inspired by Princess Mononoke, but also by animism and Japanese mythology more generally. (Plus I really just wanted a giant bear as a companion.) Additionally, I read a lot of Slavic mythology that informed the general tone of Rashemen.

One thing I tried to do was to figure out the overall influences on the setting (Japanese and Slavic mythos) and then delve into those mythologies to find further inspiration. I don’t think I would have drawn much from Miyazaki, for example, if the setting did not already evoke those cultural elements.

What lead to the choice of setting MoTB Rashemen? I loved it compared to the various Sword Coast uses.

Mostly, it was my frustration with the fact that EVERY D&D CRPG was set on the Sword Coast. That's a little bit of an exaggeration... but not much.

I literally sat down with the Forgotten Realms map and sourcebook and looked around for a setting that 1) I personally thought was cool, so that I would be inspired, and 2) had never appeared in a CRPG before.

Rashemen and Thay turned out to be perfect. They were close together, so the player could conceivably visit both in the same game, and Rashemen had roots in Japanese and Slavic mythologies (according to my reading, anyway), both of which I found interesting.​

Anything else you want to know about MotB and other Obsidian titles George worked on? Then what are you waiting for? Get over there now.

Spotted at Gamebanshee and MCA's twitter

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
inb4 epic gnolls.

I need to replay MotB very soon. I remember loving every minute of it, but the details have been lost to me. A lot of love went in that campaign.

jewboy

Arbiter
The only part of MotB that I don't particularly like is The Skein. I replayed it recently and stopped there. Definitely one of the very best cRPGs in recent times. FoNV also had a good story, but I prefer MoTB. It really reminded my of PS:T. Since Black Isle became Obsidian FoNV and MoTB have been the only games I have liked.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I also lurk on the RPG Codex forums.
He's a Codex lurker!
I wonder how many Obsidianites are reading the Codex. :cool:

Sacculina

Educated
Favourite games:

WRPG:
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Baldur’s Gate 2 (in fully turn-based mode)
:love:

FIRST-PERSON, NOT QUITE RPG:
Bioshock
Thief: Deadly Shadows
:decline:

gromit

Arcane
Deadly Shadows is one of those games that was always just so close to doing it for me, especially when fan-patched up (even just for widescreen, forced first-person, and gamepad... the John P. textures are maybe not worth the year they take to install.) It oozes atmosphere, has some truly slick design (hampered by the agoraphobic engine, yes, but lots of great spaces and corners) and every time I play it, I like the visible body and animation-tied controls a little more.

I dare say, if it didn't take fan patches to modernize despite being an X-Box port, had it merged its rejoined levels into the greater hub space that clearly accounted for them, and since I'm making wishes now, were they to now reverse the "where are the Mushrooms and Fire Flowers?"-level omissions of the sword and rope? Not everyone loves the swordplay as much as I do, but every other problem there is openly rooted in technical problems with that damned engine and that just plain breaks my fucking heart.

Sacculina

Educated
Deadly Shadows is a good game. There’s just the matter of 'Thief' in the title before it.

Edit: I mean that there were two much better games before it, not that it doesn't fit the Thief universe or isn't true to its gameplay.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
He's a Codex lurker!
Another weird coincidence: only when they leave Obsidian do they start to post here [again], pretty much immediately too. Is Feargus butthurt? Did Bethesda force them to stay away from the 'Dex? :it is a mystery:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
He's a Codex lurker!
Another weird coincidence: only when they leave Obsidian do they start to post here [again], pretty much immediately too. Is Feargus butthurt? Did Bethesda force them to stay away from the 'Dex? :it is a mystery:

Probably a mix between more time to visit/post on the codex and not actually working on rpg's right now/don't have to fear saying the "wrong" thing.

hiver

Hey, now i like the guy even more.

Miyazaki and Slavic mythos - what can be better? (miyazaki+slavic mythos+boobs.... i know, i know)
I always thought parts of MotB looked - reminded me of miyazaki movies but it was never anything really in my face, which makes it even better.
Well except when Okku kicked my butt repeatedly... that was a bit more inspiring to my mind...

- would be kind of nice to have an RPG in a princess Monoke setting eh, eh?

Its not like its really "posting here" except Anthony.
If you guys would stomp down on morons a bit more this place would be much better in every way - you know? And i dont mean banning but just general stomping.

just sayin`

Deleted member 7219

He's a Codex lurker!

Probably a mix between more time to visit/post on the codex and not actually working on rpg's right now/don't have to fear saying the "wrong" thing.

Remember David Gaider and a few other Bioware people used to be very active here? Gaider gave as good as he got, I respected him for that. Then suddenly they all stopped posting.

But yeah, ex-Obsidian folks seem to come to the Codex after they've moved on. Anthony Davis, Brian Mitsoda, Annie Carlson, and now George Ziets.

jewboy

Arbiter
You guys do understand the likely reason why devs tend to stop posting here, right?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You guys do understand the likely reason why devs tend to stop posting here, right?

Because of all the shitposters? Yeah I can understand that.

To be fair though, if that were the primary reason they wouldn't post on BSN and the like either.

True. But they even rarely post there as well, as they know that forums is such a shit fest. You would think they would run here for a moment of sanity. heh

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
George Ziets was Lead Creative for DS3... I'm gonna give DS3 another chance and judge the game plot, not gameplay (and quit after a hour).

hiver

- would be kind of nice to have an RPG in a princess Monoke setting eh, eh?

I've been having wet dreams of an RPG in the Nausicaä setting, myself.
tell me about it....
Im trying to swing it into Wasteland2 in some form of it, as a smaller location.

Also inspired by "Chaga" by Ian Mcdonald which is a sort of advanced concept of the idea.

Youre welcome to step in.

Repressed Homosexual
How does this stupid camera even work in Mask of the Betrayer? From what I remember I never had to tinker with anything in NW2 OC to get a top-down view. I started a campaign, and the camera is weird, is at a third-person view, I can't zoom back out and get a top-down view. I just want things to look like Neverwinter Nights with no fuss.

Also, sorry but the Miyazaki anime fandom looks a bit corny and out of place from the creatures I've seen so far. Forgotten Realms lore with Miyazaki nerddom and awkward ecological themes? That's an unholy combination if I ever saw one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How does this stupid camera even work in Mask of the Betrayer? From what I remember I never had to tinker with anything in NW2 OC to get a top-down view. I started a campaign, and the camera is weird, is at a third-person view, I can't zoom back out and get a top-down view. I just want things to look like Neverwinter Nights with no fuss.

Also, sorry but the Miyazaki anime fandom looks a bit corny and out of place from the creatures I've seen so far. Forgotten Realms lore with Miyazaki nerddom and awkward ecological themes? That's an unholy combination if I ever saw one.

Make sure you have the latest patch installed, it brings back the NWN1-style camera. Press * to switch cameras.

Deleted member 7219

I didn't get the Miyazaki reference until Ziets mentioned it. I've actually started to collect the Ghibli films on Blu-ray, but things like Mononoke and Spirited Away haven't been released on that format yet. But I like the change in atmosphere from typical Forgotten Realms titles. They dared to do something different than stereotypical medieval stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom