Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RockPaperShotgun Torchlight 2 Interview

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Runic Games; Torchlight 2

RockPaperShotgun have interviewed Runic CEO Max Schaefer on Torchlight 2, Diablo, and "ARPGs' slow evolution." Have some snippets:

“People have kind of assumed that there’s this great conflict between these two games [i.e., Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3], but you know, there’s a lot of first-person shooters that come out that are very similar to each other,” he explained. “There’s room for more than one game out there. I think, as we’ve gone on, the games have gotten even more different than the appeared a long time ago. I mean, we were just at PAX East demoing it right next to the Diablo guys, so we could literally stand there and watch people playing both of them. The character of the games is completely different. It’s not just the tone – it’s the pacing as well.”

“You know, maybe I have no marketable skills other than making Diablo-style games,” Schaefer joked. “But you’re right: [the entire genre] is just kinda riffing off that. But it’s a good thing to riff off of. It’s something that hadn’t been done like that previously, and I think there’s a long way to go before it’s a tired genre. You know, just like first-person shooters. How many times can you be looking at a hand holding a gun in front of you while you walk around in a 3D landscape? Turns out, a lot.”

And so, we circle back around to the beginning: Diablo. Is that it, though? Is this genre doomed to tread water when Diablo’s not playing lifeguard? Is Blizzard’s lord of the damned doomed to be an eternal poster child for a bunch of squabbling me-toos?

“I think [lack of innovation's] due to the scarcity of the games over the years,” Schaefer offered. “Certainly, there hasn’t been one that’s been more popular than Diablo, but [in comparison] there’s been a lot of resetting the standard of, say, first-person shooters along the way.”

“I think [setting] is definitely gonna be one of the ways that the genre evolves over time. You know, people trying sci-fi and other themes for it. But yeah, I’m sort of at a loss to explain why there hasn’t been more [diversity]. But I mean, there haven’t been a large total number of ARPGs that have been big and successful. It’s a tough thing to do.”​

Diablo or Torchlight, or both? Take your pick.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm really getting fucking tired of waiting on this one... it was delayed because they ported TL1 to the Xbox and now they're being super perfectionist. They strongly hinted it would be released last November or December. Then they said they just needed a little more polish and a very 'brief' beta. Four+ months later and they're still polishing and haven't even started their beta. Given D3 comes out in May I doubt we see TL2 released until July/August.

Darkforge

Augur
Neither, Torchlight was Banal shit boring and D3 looks like a complete fuck up.... I hope the IL guys learnt from their mistakes and grim dawn turns out to be good.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Me too. Will be a good serving of braindead entertainment that goes well with audiobooks.

Darkforge

Augur
I have played the Diablo 3 beta, it's Diablo in name only. it's horrible and it seems like their is zero customization. POE is closer to what I would envision a modern diablo to be like. The possibilities are near endless in that game. Unfortunately that game has only two incomplete acts. Oh well I will see what open beta brings. Oh and it's free to play.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
TL 2 - I want to be a diablo

Diablo 3 - Casual Diablo 2

Path of Exile - Haerdkor gaem for 24/7 grinders.

I'll stick to Diablo 3 because i don't have time to play 8 hours a day no more to get 1 item.

Kitako

Arcane
Just finished Torchlight for the first time (it was pretty short) and found it really boring. The really poor skill trees do not help.

D3 and PoE are no-go for me.

What about that other hack'n'slash that was being made? Grim-something? Any good?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not saying Path of Exile will be bad but I'm sure people understand that a F2P game is going to be plague with an endless amount of microtransactions (despite what the developers might be saying now). It's the only way they can make money.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm sure people understand that a F2P game is going to be plague with an endless amount of microtransactions (despite what the developers might be saying now). It's the only way they can make money.

LoL is making tons of money (most played game in the entire world) off of microtransactions that do not affect gameplay.

The developers of PoE specifically state they won't release stuff for real moneys that affect game balance. As long as that holds true I will play it.

It's vastly superior to Torchlight and possibly D3 and T2.

KPence

Novice
I actually have fond memories of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 was okay, but Diablo 3 looks really bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom