Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First (of many) Dungeon Lords patch

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Lords; DW Bradley; Heuristic Park Inc.

Heuristic Park, makers of the godawful mess Dungeon Lords, have scrambled to release the game's <a href=http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/support/pc/patches/dl.php>first patch</a>. It doesn't address some of the missing features like the minimap, but does deal with some pesky bugs.<blockquote># Gameplay tweak: Monsters less aggressive in some areas of the game.
<br>
# Gameplay tweak: Magic items appear at a more even rate.
<br>
# Gameplay tweak: Ice magic now holds opponents longer.
<br>
# Gameplay tweak: Exploit reselling single use scrolls and lockpicks can no longer be abused.
<br>
# Gameplay tweak: Boons from relics at Talendor adjusted.
<br>
# Added feature: Additional spells added for specific types of magic.
<br>
# Added feature: New heraldries added for specific quest bonuses.
<br>
# Added feature: Players may skip voice-over/text dialogues with NPCs.
<br>
# Bug fix: Screen resizing issues in the User-Interface fixed.
<br>
# Bug fix: Bargain skill works correctly for reselling items.
<br>
# Bug fix: Occasional guild inventories not showing up in MP now fixed.
<br>
# Bug fix: Pain Sting (nether spell) now fixed.
<br>
# Bug fix: Flickering on load screen no longer occurs.
<br>
# Bug fix: Occasional hang under MP in Fargove Slums now fixed.
<br>
# Bug fix: Order of the quests at the Celestial Order in Fargove adjusted.
<br>
# Bug fix: In the Shadow Ruins, the Blue Athena Statue now drops the Shadow Crystal even after failing the chess puzzle.</blockquote>Now, you really can't credit D.W. Bradley and his kids for much with Dungeon Lords, but at least they were quick with a patch. That said, quick patching really shouldn't be a game's strong suit.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Shagnak</b>!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
It appears that they have addressed the character customisation bug after all... they just completely removed the option!

From the DreamCatcher forums:
First off devs -- great job. You're making a great game better. But when I went to the character creation screen I was a little concerned. No one fixed the character customization process, instead, the change face, hair, skin, etc. were all removed!
Oh well, they'll just add it back in when it's fixed, I guess. :wink:

Edit:
Also, some other stuff removed that did not work
Weapon/armor damage and Repair skill/service have all been removed according to the Readme.txt file under 'Manual errata' after installing the 1.1 patch...

So has the 'Identify' skill, so don't put any points into it!

obediah

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Oh well, they'll just add it back in when it's fixed, I guess. :wink:

This seems like a good thing to me, with all the more serious bugs, I think putting less important or harder-to-fix problems on the shelf until later is a great idea. Unfortunately, I think sales are already tanked no matter what the patches do, so I don't expect to see to many of them before Dreamcatcher and HP dump it. I hope I'm wrong though. :) - god I say that a lot on this forum. :(

LlamaGod

Cipher
its dumb, the graphical files for appearances were in the directories.

Scoot it under the rug rather then fix, woo.

Halenthal

Liturgist
Egads. This is one of those games that I really want to like, but after reading some reviews and their forums for a while, I'm not sure the game is worth pirating even. It's 3 cd's, that'd take a while even on highspeed.

Heh, with all the crappy non finished games being released over the last few years, should make a website named worthpirating just to review 0day games.

Ellester

Liturgist
I was one who wanted to like this game and was planning on buying it. But with all the bugs and backlash, no amount of patches will now get me to buy the game. They could patch it ten times and I still will be turned off by this title. :(

Fez

Erudite
As long as they don't have some retarted "two patches limit" on the game they might be able to fix a lot of the problems. It should have never have gone out in such a condition though.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Fez said:
As long as they don't have some retarted "two patches limit" on the game they might be able to fix a lot of the problems. It should have never have gone out in such a condition though.
Yeah, agreed.
The problem is that when the money is looking bad, patchification will prolly all stop. Just like it did with W&W. That needed at least one more patch.

bgillisp

Scholar
Shagnak said:
Yeah, agreed.
The problem is that when the money is looking bad, patchification will prolly all stop. Just like it did with W&W. That needed at least one more patch.

And, considering word of mouth has probably doomed this game, we know what the likely end result is going to be now.

'Tis a shame, I would really like to see a good RPG come out soon and succeed. I had some hope that I would be proven wrong about this game sucking, but it appears not.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
bgillisp said:
And, considering word of mouth has probably doomed this game, we know what the likely end result is going to be now.
Yes, and the downward spiral has started rather early.
A lot of my local stores have pushed the release back 2 to 4 weeks.
My local EB have even totally removed it from their "coming soon" shelf, and are not stocking it. Understandable, given their "7 days return" policy. After installing it, finding it's utter crap and not even needing the cd, what would stop you from returning it and getting another game in exchange (that you may even have really had your eye on). Hmmmmm...cunning plan.

bgillisp

Scholar
I was at EB the other day, and noticed they did not have the game in at all too (and I am in the US)...wonder if they pulled the game world-wide then. Anyone know?

I do know Best Buy has the game here, wonder how long before the price drops from the $39.99 price it is at now? Bet it will not take long at all.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
Missing from the fix list:

# Gameplay tweak: Game doesn't suck anymore.
I smell a flip flop coming......

I told you DL would pawn GW

Anyway of to play um..........

..........GW

C Ya

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I blame DOTA. Idiot player pawned Opposing Team Idiot's head for 300 gold.

UT2004 voice in background: "OWNAGE"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom