Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Look at teh shiny graphics! - Oblivion E3 coverage

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.actiontrip.com>ActionTrip</a> and <a href=http://www.gamerswithjobs.com>Gamers with Jobs</a> have posted their coverage of the <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a> E3 demo:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><a href=http://www.actiontrip.com/features/e32005theelderscrollsivoblivion.phtml>ActionTrip impressions</a>:
<br>
Next thing that truly impressed me to the point of having my lower jaw drop a bit as I was watching the real-time scene is the way that Elder Scrolls IV renders forests. You've seen it on the screenshots, but it's a whole different ballgame when you actually see it live. The forest truly comes alive. The number of polygons on the screen at the same time is scary to say the least, but the good news is that the high-end PC rig that was running the game had no problems rendering it. <u>The frame rate was VERY decent considering what I was seeing on screen.</u>
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/15892>GwJ impressions</a>:
<br>
“Oh my god,” is all I could keep thinking as I witnessed this beautiful, behind-closed-doors, demo. Even after the graphically phenomenal Alan Wake, Elder Scrolls looked amazing. I don’t know where to begin. The physics look like they belong to the real world. The sound and voice acting is incredible. <u>However, the demo we saw was dropping frames left and right</u>. If they can’t optimize the game, expect only the best systems to even have a prayer at approaching a decent frame rate.</blockquote>Hmm, someone's lying.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Another GwJ's E3 "reporter" has shared with us his very orgasmic impressions:
<br>
<br>
The visuals are absolutely breathtaking from the moment you awake in, where else for Elder Scrolls, prison. The environment is painstakingly detailed and takes advantage of every graphical buzz word you can throw at it. I heard something about specular stuff, and mapping, but I didn't process the technical stuff really well as everyone in the room, myself included, was too busy waxing impressed. And, that dank prison cell would have been enough to send us off with warm fuzzies alone, but the forest area and outdoor environments are simply unparalleled. It was, and I don't use this word lightly, beautiful. Absolutely breathtaking.
<br>
<br>
And more importantly Oblivion was immersive and believable. The game is shaping up to be much more than an eye-candy tech demo. It is put together as a worthy successor to Morrowind with the kind of completely open-ended gameplay you've come to expect. Again your abilities are judged by your actions in game and not some cumbersome stats menu.</blockquote>Cumbersome stats menu? In an RPG? What kinda nonsense is that?
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Saran

Scholar
Hmmm, i like the way the actiontrip guy said "Very decent".

I.E: Anything less than a ninja bastard rig and you're fucked.

As for the "cumbersome stats menu" comment, i think you might be looking into it a bit too much VD, he could have easily meant that its easy to use rather than simplistic.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
As for the "cumbersome stats menu" comment, i think you might be looking into it a bit too much VD, he could have easily meant that its easy to use rather than simplistic..
No, I think the author means player skills over PC skills.

Saran

Scholar
I suppose, ill wait and see until we get screenshots of the stats menu before i start shitting all over the game, but i will admit that they do appear to be going for more of a twitch game with the new mini games and combat.

Edit: Fixed a brain fart.

Edit 2: Also it seemed as if he was alluding to the way skills progress rather than the game being more of an action game, maybe im the one thats reading into it too much but he said " Again your abilities are judged by your actions in game and not some cumbersome stats menu.", the key word being again, in a lot of CRPG's you assign XP to improve your skills, in morrowind you use a certain skill to improve it, maybe thats what he meant by that comment.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
We all know Elder Scroll games have you gain experience by using a skill, not deciding where to distribute exp points. That could be interpreted as being not "cumbersome". If he means having to distribute points for skills is cumbersome in of itself, then he is an idiot.

Balor

Arcane
Roy Batty, in fact.
Edit:
Damn, wierd shit happends when you type in the reply and forget to press "Submit" button :).
Anyway, to greatathlantic:
"If he means having to distribute points for skills is cumbersome in of itself, then he is an idiot."
I might not find it too cumberson, but I do find it very illogical and annoying.
As well as any notion of levels, and experinece as a "number", not an abstract concept.

crufty

Arcane
Mefi said:
Roy Batty when Rutger's had too much happy juice to ad-lib properly ;)

:D I figured Betelguese 3 was a reference to Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. But happy juice is as good an explanation as any.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
from the moment you awake in, where else for Elder Scrolls, prison.
I think this is getting to a point where it's beyond comedy.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
from the moment you awake in, where else for Elder Scrolls, prison.
I think this is getting to a point where it's beyond comedy.
You mean the fact that the PC didn't start in prison in any of the other TES games? (TES 1 & 2 started in dungeons, and TES 3 started with you getting off a transport ship after being released from prison.)

LlamaGod

Cipher
in 3 you were coming from a prison and I think 1 was some dungeon jail or something.

Anyways, its funny how everyone goes LOLOMG OBLIVION'S GRAPHIX and then says stuff like this about Gothic 3

IGN.com said:
I should also mention that the game looks a sight better than Gothic II, even with this pre-alpha build. There were some texture errors, but the characters look they're all motion captured this time, and we wound our way through a complex outdoor environment full of all kinds of foliage. It's no UT2007, but it look pretty nice to the RPG crowd.

lol dicksucking media lol

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
That's one person. From everything I've read people are saying GIII's graphics are better than Oblivion's (I agree). In any case, some reasons why the media isn't picking up on GIII yet compared to Oblivion could be because it seems like little more than a pretty graphics tech demo so far (from what they've shown, like that trailer of rhinos running through a forest. I don't know if they had a gameplay demo or videos of gameplay) and it being released next year (english version might be what, middle/late next year?, where as Oblivion is showing off some gameplay as well and it's being released this year on PC with the added bonus of media attraction from being an Xbox360 launch game (or near launch, whatever).

Could also be that Jowood isn't showing off much of the game since it's awhile until release.

LlamaGod

Cipher
there was a pre-alpha shown of the gameplay and I think the english will lauch at the same time as the german (thats what they said, I think, since its so popular).

People are just hoes.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
there was a pre-alpha shown of the gameplay and I think the english will lauch at the same time as the german (thats what they said, I think, since its so popular).

ah, I see. Do you know any place on the net that have them so I could see?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Have you seen the new screenshots for Oblivion? That meat zombie looks genuinely creepy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom