Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPGDot meh on Sacred Underworld

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Ascaron Entertainment; Sacred Underworld

<a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>'s <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1128>review</a> of Underworld, the expansion to the action RPG Sacred, is up. They didn't think it added very much to the base game and only gave it <b>72%</b>, with a 60% for fun.<blockquote>If you liked Sacred, you will most probably also like Sacred Underworld despite its downs. Sacred Underworld is nothing more than a Sacred Plus Plus or a Diablo 2.5 - if you still like this simplified game mechanics, go ahead. I personally prefer the more sophisticated KotOR or the very charming Fate!</blockquote>I'm going to ignore the "sophisticated KotOR" bit and just remind people that <a href=http://rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=121>Fate rules</a>.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
1. Fate looks good; but you have to pay to donwload which equals non purchase.

2. Sacred was a fun little distratcion; but even with the added dwarves; I doubt I'm gonna bother with the expansion. I've already moved on..

Astromarine

Erudite
volly, it's REALLY time to let go of this paranoia, man. Just get a really low-limit credit card, and use it exclusively for online stuff. If someone steals it it's no great loss.

Hell, if you want mail me the cash and I'll buy the game for you. It just makes no sense to not play the best independent games because they're not in stores. That's why they're independent.

geminito

Liturgist
So you acquired Sacred free somehow (not difficult I'm sure)? Or is the box the only thing that justifies paying money for a game?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"volly, it's REALLY time to let go of this paranoia, man. Just get a really low-limit credit card, and use it exclusively for online stuff. If someone steals it it's no great loss."

Paranoia is kinda extreme; but if it's likely my only one. I wanna keep it. And, no, it's not about the amount beings tolen; it's about beings tolen. I despise thieves - even my family and friends who steal. All scum, and I tell 'em so.

"Hell, if you want mail me the cash and I'll buy the game for you."

That's just as bad. I'd be mailing cash to a stranger. I'll pass.

"It just makes no sense to not play the best independent games because they're not in "stores. That's why they're independent."

Independent games can reach stores, or I can play mods.

"You're really missing out."

OMG! I'm misisng out. My life is ruined. I'm not able to play some Diablo wannabe. It sound slike it's a fun game; but not fun enough that i think my life is somehow ruined by not being able to play it.

So you acquired Sacred free somehow"

Huh? I bought it in a store.

"Or is the box the only thing that justifies paying money for a game?"

There are many reasons why i dislike purchaisng over the net. Some include the following:

1. Netters are evil scum.

2. Sending money miles away to strangers is not cool.

3. Sometimes, you don't truly own the product as it requires the net. See, BIO's Premium mods as an example.

4. The majority of highly praised 'independent' game suck just like their fancier counterparts only with shittier graphics and amature dialogue.

5. There are plenty of free games, and mods to play so why pay to play amateur game when you can play amateur games for free?

6. I like actual boxes, and manuals.

Enjoy. :shock:

LlamaGod

Cipher
Restricted Area is better than Sacred.

Fate should be sold in stores, it's their best and probably most popular game and would probably sell well in stores. Sell it in some jewel case dealio instead of a big box and for like $15 or $20.

So not only being good, it'll be nice and cheap which was also how Serious Sam got sold alot.

I see stupid shit like Bejeweled in jewel cases at the store and stuff, Wild Tanget games come installed on some PCs so I imagine they got money for cheap CD cases and stuff somewhere.

germx

Novice
LlamaGod said:
Restricted Area is better than Sacred.
Sure... Sacred sux ass.

But i think that Restricted area needs a LOT f improving.

(All games are better than sacred)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I tried the Sacred demo, and I liked what I saw. The only thing that prevents me from buying it is a) the long list of games I have yet to buy which have priority, and b) Sacred sounds like it would be as good an investment into the roguelike arena as Diablo 2 or Fate but I'm afraid it will invariably get boring, fast.

germx

Novice
Role-Player said:
...but I'm afraid it will invariably get boring, fast.

And trust me, you're right.

And i have to ask... who came up with the stupid idea to get skills from items? and not from experience??

Thorndyke

Novice
germx said:
And i have to ask... who came up with the stupid idea to get skills from items? and not from experience??
Talking about Sacred here? If so, nobody came up with that. Spells and Special Moves are what you can't improve simply by levelling up. Skills are improved in a normal fashion, by investing the skill points you get when you level up.

And "All games are better than Sacred" is bullshit. I think if you can stand the inherently repetitive gameplay of action RPGs in general, you won't find much else to critisize about Sacred. Sure, the bugs were annoying to no end at first and the setting is awfully generic, but it offers a big fucking world for you to explore, hundreds of side quests that you're free to either accept or decline (and sometimes even with multiple solutions) and HORSES. What else could you ask for? ;)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Who cares about the mounted combat in Sacred? It's so horribly implemented that it might as well have been an afterthought.

Thorndyke

Novice
I wasn't completely serious about the horses. I percieve them mostly as eye candy too and investing skill points in Horse Riding is a total waste. They're still pretty useful in the beginning though, when heavier armor slows you down too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom