Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Hammer & Sickle previews hit the net

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Hammer & Sickle; Nival Interactive

Both <a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hammer-sickle/624187p1.html>GameSpy</a> and <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/hammersickle/preview_6127228.html>GameSpot</a> have expressed some interest in the upcoming (I use this term loosely) <b>Hammer & Sickle</b>, a game that started as a Silent Storm's ambitious mod and ended up as a promising tactical RPG.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/hammersickle/preview_6127228.html>GameSpot</a>:
<br>
And like in a role-playing game, you'll even encounter characters that will offer branching dialog trees when spoken to, along with cinematic sequences with full audio speech between missions. Even simple conversations, along with how you resolve your missions, will have far-reaching effects on gameplay, both in the areas you have visited and in others you haven't. For instance, if you happen to dispose of local law enforcement in one area, you may find that all other areas are swarming with cops later on. Unfortunately, since you'll play as a top-secret operative, even the Soviet government has disavowed any knowledge of your existence, so outside of your network of spies, not even your fellow soldiers from the motherland can be trusted. You can improve your chances of getting past the guards by disguising yourself in uniforms
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hammer-sickle/624187p1.html>GameSpy</a>:
<br>
The best news, though, is that while the terrific strategy engine from Silent Storm is being enhanced a bit, it isn't really being changed in any significant way. That means that all the turn-based tactical glory from the original is coming back. The game's impressive physics engine that makes every object in the game destructible means that all the great strategic options (shooting through floorboards, destroying support structures to bring down houses) will be available, but the game's persistent universe makes tactical decisions much more significant. It's one thing to bring down a house on a bunch of Nazis in the middle of a war. Bring down the house of an English Ambassador, though, and it will remain destroyed for the rest of the game -- and the player's game will change dramatically as British characters react to the "crime."</blockquote>
<br>
The good news is even if the game falls short of its RPG goals, it will still be a great tactical combat game.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I'm totally pysched up for this game. It sounds like everything I'd ever want in a game: Good role-playing aspects, choices that actually make waves in the game world, tatical combat and the great graphics and physics engine to boot! :D

Balor

Arcane
In fact, it's all truth.
I'm playing this game now (finally!).
The game is very interesting, challenging and immersive.
It may not be as 'hardcore RP' as P:T or Fallout, but it can be called a full-scale RPG nonetheless, and pretty good one.
Btw, not just your actions, but your inactions can have far-reaching consequences.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Balor said:
In fact, it's all truth.
I'm playing this game now (finally!).
The game is very interesting, challenging and immersive.
It may not be as 'hardcore RP' as P:T or Fallout, but it can be called a full-scale RPG nonetheless, and pretty good one.
Btw, not just your actions, but your inactions can have far-reaching consequences.

I hope, that being the case, that they do a solid job with the translation and what not

that and speed up the enemies combat movements

Balor

Arcane
*shrugs*
Dialogs and voice overs are really good in Russian version (btw, not that common - voice overs, I mean).
Anyway, I think that H&S is SS polished to near perfection... what SS should have been.

Deacdo

Liturgist
This thing sounds amazing for a mod.

I'm still waiting for them to release Sentinals in N. America :(

Shagnak

Shagadelic
S2 and S3 are at my local EB for half price at the moment.
Might load up the demo soon and see what they're like.

The hype about plot/action consequences is getting me very interested in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom