Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot finds Restricted Area average

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Master Creating; Restricted Area

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> has <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/restrictedarea/review.html>reviewed</a> master creating's cyberpunk action RPG Restricted Area and rated it <b>6.7/10</b> for being a competent but not particularly good game.<blockquote>Restricted Area's heart is certainly in the right place. This cyberpunk-themed action-role-playing game draws its inspiration from at least a couple of most-deserving sources. One is Blizzard's Diablo series, which popularized the action RPG genre nearly 10 years ago with its addictive blend of combat and the search for better and better stuff. And the other is Interplay's postapocalyptic Fallout series, one of the best things to happen to role-playing games in the past 10 years, or ever. William Gibson and the makers of the quintessential cyberpunk RPG, Shadowrun, would probably also be at least a little flattered. The game doesn't seem to presume to try to outdo either of its influences, and instead comes across as an homage. On its own merits, it's a fairly simple and repetitive action RPG experience that's rough around the edges, yet it's not without a certain homegrown charm that should appeal to fans of the genre who don't expect too much.</blockquote>Yup.

Jan

Novice
Re

That´s not really suprising to me - it IS good, and the funniest thing is that the review says that, but then gives a bad - not even an average - rating... maybe Master Creating is just not american enough... :roll:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You forgot to slip a couple greenbacks in the review copy you sent... or schnitzel, I'd bet those Gamespot guys are crazy about schnitzel

Jan

Novice
My plan...

...was to send him a short personal piece of Autobahn, but it was too heavy for regular mail.

Maybe Blitzkrieg 2 will get a better review as it build up on the "legendary german franchise"...

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Considering it was reviewed by Greg Kasavin... The man has angered many a fanboi by giving games a harsher (i.e. more realistic) score than other review sites. The latest example of which was giving Jade Empire an 8.4, after IGN gave it 9.9. I don't think country of orgin had anything to do with it, other than the issue of how well was it translated. I'm not going to say Greg K is always on the money, or hasn't hyped a game in a review that ultimately wasn't all that good, though. Just take his review with a grain of salt.

Jan

Novice
Re

I was just making fun - after all, that´s all that´s left now. ;-)

Of couse I know it´s not because we are German, but the piece of truth that´s in everything is that we have absolutly no lobby in the US so the game is considered an outsider and simply doesn´t get the same chance from some reviewers as - for example - Jade Empire.

I don´t think it´s bad that there are reviewers that give more realistic scores (whatever that means), but it´s a big problem if their scores mean something else to them then to their readers...

dipdipdip

Liturgist
He also had the nerve to state that it does a good job of capturing the spirit of the Fallout games.

The worst part is that the guy claims Fallout (1) to be his personal favorite videogame.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
It wasn't by much, BOS got a 7.3. But still, reviewer's scores don't mean jack shite. BOS was named "good", while this was named "fair".

crpgnut

Augur
I know that the first thing I look at in a foreign game is how well it was translated to English. I'm not going to pay good money and then have hours of frustration because a quest is worded so badly that you can't figure out what to do. That said, if the game was made by a small firm and they're not expecting full retail for their efforts, I generally buy the game. I want to support the smaller developers by purchasing their products. I bought Herectic Kingdoms in the hopes that the developer might make a sequel that improves on the genre. Kult wasn't a great game, but it had a few nice features that I'd like to see fleshed out. Greg's article points out a few nice features that sound intriguing to me. I think playing the hacker and the psionicist could be fun. Can I get this game at my local EB? I haven't really looked for it yet.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I think 6.7 is an average rating. That is not too bad. I find it rather strange that a relatively unknown game such as this gets reviewed by Greg; probably it's been a lean year for PC RPG and that alone might've piqued his interest in reviewing it. Gamespot does sometimes review games developed by foreign developers and have often lauded them, including Serious Sam, Mafia, Silent Storm, etc. I don't know how this game really fares, but it sure seems to play better than lionheart, which got a 6.5 rating.

Fez

Erudite
It's another example why scores shouldn't be included in reviews.

Fez

Erudite
It's also useful as a guide for decorating your home, with one room painted to match say, Fallout's rating and another matching Avernum. Try it out, it will make you feel pretty.

Seven

Erudite
Greatatlantic said:
Considering it was reviewed by Greg Kasavin... The man has angered many a fanboi by giving games a harsher (i.e. more realistic) score than other review sites. The latest example of which was giving Jade Empire an 8.4, after IGN gave it 9.9. I don't think country of orgin had anything to do with it, other than the issue of how well was it translated. I'm not going to say Greg K is always on the money, or hasn't hyped a game in a review that ultimately wasn't all that good, though. Just take his review with a grain of salt.

Actually Greg Kasavin was famous for giving ridiculously high scores to dev houses that he was cheeky with. Recently though (last month or two) he caught some flak via emails and the official gamespot forums. If you look at stuff that he’s done from 6-8 months ago you’ll note that major dev houses and existing franchises tend to get an easy pass whereas just as adequate games from less known devs and from unproven franchises have gotten mediocre scores (Granted, in this industry anything below a 7.9 is considered mediocre).

Grifman

Liturgist
Re: Re

Jan said:
That´s not really suprising to me - it IS good, and the funniest thing is that the review says that, but then gives a bad - not even an average - rating... maybe Master Creating is just not american enough... :roll:

Well, readers seem to be rating the game higher at least . . .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom