Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Obsidian Entertainment Interviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Tim Cain

We have interviews available with Codexian darlings Tim and Chris.

Gamereactor has put up a video interview with MCA.
David Caballero caught up with Obsidian's Chris Avellone at this years Gamelab in Barcelona and peppered him with questions regarding Wasteland 2, Kickstarter and all of Obsidian's current and possible future RPG projects.

Plus, Gamestar.ru published their next entry of Obsidian interviews, this time featuring Tim Cain.

What in your opinion are the key moments in RPG genre that defined the direction all the games made after?

For better or worse, I think several features have been introduced into the genre that have forced many subsequent RPG's to include them. These features are not found in every RPG, but they are quite noticeable when absent:
  • level-based character advancement
  • automapping
  • real time combat
  • quest-based adventuring
  • multiplayer
There is also a trend towards strong storylines as opposed to strong character development. The former leads to linear world settings, either for the whole game or to major portions of it, to support the story telling effort.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What in your opinion are the key moments in RPG genre that defined the direction all the games made after?

For better or worse, I think several features have been introduced into the genre that have forced many subsequent RPG's to include them
  • real time combat
Damn.

Stinger

Arcane
If you actually read what he's saying it's clear he's not in favour of a lot of those things he lists.

Also Gamestar.ru needs to stop it with the "We think silent protagonists where the background is customisable by the player sucks"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you actually read what he's saying it's clear he's not in favour of a lot of those things he lists.

Also Gamestar.ru needs to stop it with the "We think silent protagonists where the background is customisable by the player sucks"

Yeah, one of our resident Russian patriots needs to send them some polonium hate mail about that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Much :love: for the Star Control 2 reference.

RPG's seem to suffer a decline every 5-10 years or so, followed by a resurgence of popularity. Matt Barton covers this well in his book “Dungeons and Desktops”, which considers our current modern age to the be the sixth phase of RPG popularity. Although considering the book is a few years old now, perhaps we are in the seventh age, and I'd say Skyrim is dominating the field, both in popularity and market penetration.

Interesting. Has anybody read Matt's book? I'd like to hear more about this cyclical theory of his. Very Spenglerian. :obviously:

grotsnik

Arcane
Interesting. Has anybody read Matt's book? I'd like to hear more about this cyclical theory of his. Very Spenglerian. :obviously:

There was some brief talk back in this thread of felipepepe maybe being up for purloining a review copy off Matt in order to avoid paying for it critique it for the greater glory of the Codex. I'd definitely be interested to hear if it's worth picking up.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Indeed. My problem was with the fact that what he was saying is, unfortunately, true. Not with him stating it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

There was some brief talk back in this thread of felipepepe maybe being up for purloining a review copy off Matt in order to avoid paying for it critique it for the greater glory of the Codex. I'd definitely be interested to hear if it's worth picking up.
It definitely worth picking up. It's a long read, but very interesting for the people who like cRPGs. There are errors of course, but it is still a well thought, and researched material.

Marsal

Arcane
It definitely worth picking up. It's a long read, but very interesting for the people who like cRPGs. There are errors of course, but it is still a well thought, and researched material.
Now this is just not cool, Matt. You can't blatantly peddle your shit like that. Giving yourself compliments is distasteful.:killit:

grotsnik

Arcane
Well, seeing as you're not Matt, obviously you wouldn't mind if I were to, say...borrow the book from my local public library, thus maliciously depriving you of a sale?

I'll do it, Matt. I'm not bluffing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Indeed. My problem was with the fact that what he was saying is, unfortunately, true. Not with him stating it.

What the...

So, customizable protagonists is bad?

Morkar Left

Now this is just not cool, Matt. You can't blatantly peddle your shit like that. Giving yourself compliments is distasteful.:killit:

SHAME ON YOU!

(The book is pretty much like he described and an excellent standard of crpg literature to have.)

Marsal

Arcane

SHAME ON YOU!

(The book is pretty much like he described and an excellent standard of crpg literature to have.)

Users posting from this IP:
J_C
Morkar

:hmmm:

Stop it, Matt. Just... stop it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So I guess Tim has decided to stay with Obsidian? Or is that still up in the air?
Yeah, months ago he decided to stay for good. The thing he was thinking of leaving them for was the Shadowrun thing.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So this might actually happen now.

AQusT.jpg

Renegen

Arcane
Have I ever mentioned that I like Hungary?
It's really not funny, not when the cover up has been going for such a long time. The longer it goes on and the more it tells me at least that you don't have that much respect for the Codex. It's like lying to a child at 20 that Santa Claus still exists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom