Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Commander Hands-on Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dragon Commander; Larian Studios

There's a preview of Larian Studio's upcoming RPG/strategy hybrid Dragon Commander available over at sidequesting.
Generous snippet:

The majority of the action takes places in the third-person dragon flight view, which occurs when the map location is clicked. In this portion the players control their beast in as it attacks enemy forces, allowing for explosive fireballs and bullet-time dodging. The dragon can also “visit” the front lines and allow the player to micromanage his or her troops. The dragons are some of the most powerful units in the game, and should they die the player must wait some amount of time before another respawns. Even armed with several explosive weapons, the beasts can be taken down somewhat easily if the player isn’t utlizing them well.

This portion of the game relies on lush, vibrant visuals to portray all manner of lighting battle units and characters set against almost Martian landscapes. Here, the steampunk style mixes a bit of manga into it to make the dragons look more reptilian and the environment somewhat glossy.

The dragons can be used to “zoom into” a set of troops and units, for a traditional overhead RTS control method. This allows for group actions aimed at defeating the opposing faction. Players are asked to set up turrets and factories, with mining for resources taking place to feed the forces. It’s very traditional real-time strategy gaming. After the troops are set, the dragon takes off and can attack the other factions back in third person mode. It’s seemless, and looked natural.
Dragon Commander seems like a complicated game, though underneath its excess is actually a fairly traditional kingdom-building RTS along the lines of RISK. The way that the different portions of kingdom-building are presented with enough variety from one other is going to be interesting to see which take precedence. I suspect that different players will lean more heavily to one mode or another, depending on their level of comfort within the genre mix.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
nothing new in there and it reads as if written by somebody new and generally uninterested in the genre.

Sul

Savant
It’s important to note that women tend to be treated like commodities in this game. During our demo, I did not see any males put up to marry, and the interaction between the player and his wife was scripted to show us specific results. Though, this could be due to the time constraint of our meeting with the team. It’s something to keep an eye on, if nothing more than its medieval treatment of females.
:lol:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Dali is the co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of SideQuesting, as well as the co-Founder of CarDesignFetish and the founder of MakLink. Dali is also a car designer, deejay, and introductory beer-brewer.
:hmmm:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It’s important to note that women tend to be treated like commodities in this game. During our demo, I did not see any males put up to marry, and the interaction between the player and his wife was scripted to show us specific results. Though, this could be due to the time constraint of our meeting with the team. It’s something to keep an eye on, if nothing more than its medieval treatment of females.

The patriarchy strikes again! Codex feminists, assemble!
Avengers-Gif_o_145258.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love that gif.

And yes, get this hipster shit off my Codex. :mad:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
mandatory lip service to this newfangled bowdlerising PC nonsense is really killing the shit out of industry articles for me, which are about a god damn hobby I still manage to love

if rainforest tribes suddenly became a market force all of a sudden sure as fuck we would see condemnations of the feral indigenous savage trope in games and petitions for at least one balanced and empowered portrayal of a shamanistic tribal individual attuned to nature and also respectful of women, homosexuals, transsexuals and rising carbon footprints and also he has deep conversations about simple, sustainable living with your party members which is sure to win many industry and blog awards for progressive writing

Morkar Left

Don't like the artstyle and I hoped the rts elements would be more like Warhammer: Dark Omen instead of traditional basebuilding rts. But I'm looking forward to the game. Sounds like the right mix to entertain me and provide good replayvalue :salute:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The patriarchy strikes again! Codex feminists, assemble!
This thing is too damn absurd for it to be rage-worthy.
http://www.examiner.com/article/e3-2012-divinity-dragon-commander-first-look
What’s even cooler is that Divinity Dragon Commander is not afraid to talk about controversial topics that we face in the real world. For example, the dwarfs are appalled by the display of open homosexuality and marriage. They demand that all homosexuals be relegated to a secluded part in every kingdom. As a commander, it is up to you whether you wish to segregate the homosexuals or not.
Dragon Commander, wherein Swen Vincke loses the plot. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom