Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Drox Operative Preview at Gamebanshee

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Drox Operative; Soldak Entertainment

Gamebanshee has put up a two-page preview of Soldak Entertainment's upcoming space action RPG Drox Operative, which is generally positive, claiming the game "could become one of the more interesting games of 2012". Have a couple of snippets:

Drox Operative, as I've already mentioned, takes the backdrop of a 4X title and drops an action-RPG on top of it. You play as a titular operative of the Drox Guild, an apolitical mercenary organization open to the bidding of any other interstellar government. In practice, that means that while you're flying around your randomly-generated galaxy, fighting enemy marauders and performing quests for the various galactic factions of your choosing, the major powers will all be exploring, terraforming and colonizing planets, and waging warfare on each other.

This is Drox Operative's big selling point, and it really does help the game stand out from other action-RPGs. Rather than working towards one specific goal, in Drox Operative you choose who to work for and why. The open-ended, strategy-style win conditions (Military, Economic, Diplomatic) ensure that you can find success by a variety of means each game, and also mean that you can either, say, give technology you've found to the barbarous Brunt race and watch them pound the galaxy into submission, or feed information to the Shadow and watch them wage an espionage war to undermine everyone else.

[...] In fact, overall, the 4X elements feel a bit pushed to the background. While more complexity opens as you level up and play multiple games (later on I actually saw rebel factions break off into whole new races for instance), and it's neat to see your actions actually change what quests are available (sabotage a planet discreetly, and they'll later ask you to fix the damage done), the ways you have to interact with other races can feel limited. Although some options, like spreading propaganda, can be plainly felt as planets descend into civil warfare, overall it's not always clear why a given race is successful when others aren't, and that's a problem when so much depends upon manipulating everyone in your favor.

Overall, Drox Operative is shaping up to be a very interesting and compelling game. Although similar ideas have been attempted recently, such as in S.P.A.Z. last year, Drox Operative is a slightly simpler and more accessible game that puts less emphasis on the strategy side and more on the RPG side. The game is still in a rough state, but as most of the problems are related to game balance, these are the sorts of things I'm fairly confident will be worked out before the game is released, especially given the proactive changes Soldak have been making via regular updates.​

You can read the preview in full here. You can also currently pre-order Drox Operative from the game's official website for just $14.99, 20% off the normal price.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hopefully the diplomacy is better than the 'diplomacy' in Derps of Peril.

Morkar Left

Although similar ideas have been attempted recently, such as in S.P.A.Z. last year, Drox Operative is a slightly simpler and more accessible game that puts less emphasis on the strategy side and more on the RPG side.

I appreciate a focus on the rpg side, but simpler and more accessible worries me (not necessarily accessible, but we all know what this usually means nowadays).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The problem with the 'simpler and more accessible' opinion is that Drox Operative was never intended to be a 4x game so, obviously in comparison to your typical 4x game it is going to be 'simpler and more accessible.' If you're looking for something like Starflight combined with SPAZ or a trimmed down version of Space Rangers you'll probably like Drox. If you're looking for something like the X series, look elsewhere.

Morkar Left

Starflight combined with SPAZ or a trimmed down version of Space Rangers

That's pretty much what I'm looking for! But I thought SPAZ was already dumped down in regards to a 4x game. I'm fine with this, it didn't want to be one in the first place. But that's why I'm wondering.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wait, simpler and more accessible than spaz? how is that even possible?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The problem with the 'simpler and more accessible' opinion is that Drox Operative was never intended to be a 4x game so, obviously in comparison to your typical 4x game it is going to be 'simpler and more accessible.' If you're looking for something like Starflight combined with SPAZ or a trimmed down version of Space Rangers you'll probably like Drox. If you're looking for something like the X series, look elsewhere.
This is really the only big issue with the game - it's not so much that it lacks realized potential (although it does) but that it's basically still an action-RPG in the Diablo style but with a very different world and a different set of victory conditions. I'm not convinced it has enough meat to it to satisfy strategy fans, but for RPG fans looking for something different it has a lot more appeal. And, $15 for an action-RPG with a unique theme and a lot of gameplay? That's not a bad deal at all in my opinion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah my thinking is that this setting/genre is a better way for them to do what they attempted in Depths of Peril with the 'warring houses' or whatever. It just felt awkward to me to combine a hack-n-slash, loot grinding, randomized quest, ARPG with diplomacy elements. I'm sure it'll work better when done along the lines of Starflight/SPAZ/Space Rangers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom