Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Big, Huge, Epic, Impossible and Disappointing

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: 38 Studios; Big Huge Games; Epic Games; Impossible Games; Infinity Blade: Dungeons

As you may or may not know, Big Huge Games (developers of mega-mediocre Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning) collapsed when 38 Studios crashed and burned not too long ago. In the wake of all that drama, Epic Games (of various Unreal-titles and lesser console shooters) played the good Samaritans and picked up some former Big Huge Games developers.

The result? A new subsidiary development studio called Impossible Games. Sadly, their first game will be an iOS title called Infinity Blade: Dungeons, but who knows what the future holds.

Didn't they get the "PC gaming is hot" memo?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm really glad for the ex-BHG employees and Ian Frazier in particular, but of course it would've been better if they were working on a PC and not iOS game. Maybe after that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is it that all dev companies who go under but somehow manage to still save themselves, or get saved, turn to handheld or social games?

Same happened to the German devs behind Drakensang, who are now too making shitty browser games.

Who even cares about that kind of shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is it that all dev companies who go under but somehow manage to still save themselves, or get saved, turn to handheld or social games?

I think Swen Vincke answered this question in his blog post, more or less

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not really surprising, but I'm happy they all found work. I've never played Infinity Blade and I know a lot of people will yell "decline!" but really, getting a job in the games industry is tough and it's great that things worked out for (some of) Big Huge Games, at least in a manner of speaking.

Same happened to the German devs behind Drakensang, who are now too making shitty browser games.

Who even cares about that kind of shit.
Because budgets are lower and so are expectations for the platform. The idea is that you reduce dev costs by making games that... well, cost less, and can be released more frequently, rather than putting all your eggs in one basket. Even if you don't hit it big, it's better than competing directly with, say, BioWare or another larger dev who has 20 times the budget you do.

Of course, a lot of devs go under because those markets are still extremely competitive. A game like Drakensang costs millions to make, and unless it can make those millions back it simply isn't viable to keep making games like it, unless your goal is to go out of business.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But why do none of them try to go for a mid-budget PC niche genre? There would be a considerable audience for niche RPGs, and they're starved for games - there are almost none that cater to that niche!
Your graphics can be mid to low quality, nobody would care if your game looked like it was made in 2004, and it's even likely that many will buy it even if it's mediocre just because there are so few games coming out that are made for this target group.

It would be a market segment with almost no competition and low to medium costs. But nobody seems to realize that there are alternatives to "AAA+++" and "casual games".

Telengard

Arcane
Because the big companies have raised the bar for everyone. Low budget these days is 5 million dollars, and mid is 20. That's way out of the reach of most people, which means they have to go to someone else for investment. Say, a publisher. A publisher whose money comes with "recommendations."

The publisher, then, is staffed by business execs who often don't really know video games, and make their choices based on looking at the market trends to see what's currently hitting big, so they can cash in.

Monocause

Arcane
@JF:

What you're writing is the reason I expect many people in the industry to be watching Wasteland 2 and other middle-tier (with fairly low budget but not exactly 'indie' or 'bedroom' too) projects really carefully. If WL2 is a financial success many similar outfits will follow their footsteps, with kickstarter or small financial publisher backing, and the fairly low-budget niche gaming market will slowly saturate.

Phelot

Arcane
Isn't WL2 already a financial success so long as they actually finish it? I mean, all those people essentially already bought it.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
But why do none of them try to go for a mid-budget PC niche genre? There would be a considerable audience for niche RPGs, and they're starved for games - there are almost none that cater to that niche!
Your graphics can be mid to low quality, nobody would care if your game looked like it was made in 2004, and it's even likely that many will buy it even if it's mediocre just because there are so few games coming out that are made for this target group.

It would be a market segment with almost no competition and low to medium costs. But nobody seems to realize that there are alternatives to "AAA+++" and "casual games".

That's why I get the shits when certain people bash the concept of the Ouya. I was hoping for a platform that encouraged games that were between "AAA" and "casual" for consoles. It will probably never happen of course, but I like to imagine the possibility at least.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
But why do none of them try to go for a mid-budget PC niche genre?

Because the audience there is actually sophisticated and discriminating and it takes effort to please them versus the slop you can feed the pigs who gorge on iOS crap.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Hmm, Amalur is a crappy game, don't care much for the Big Huge guys.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Isn't WL2 already a financial success so long as they actually finish it? I mean, all those people essentially already bought it.
Well there are degrees of success. I think InXile is hoping to make enough money they don't need to ask kickstarter for money for their next project, or at the very least not have the entire budget based on donations.

But yeah, that 3 million dollars is employing a bunch of people for a year and a half, as long as the game comes out it is a success to some degree, as you said.

But why do none of them try to go for a mid-budget PC niche genre?

Because the audience there is actually sophisticated and discriminating and it takes effort to please them versus the slop you can feed the pigs who gorge on iOS crap.

While this is true, at least you know what your audience wants and can plan around that. No one has any idea what will get people to spend money on these free to play mobile games because they're all the same.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My point was not that it is a matter of knowing what your audience wants but the amount of work required to actually produce it. Developers can throw darts at a board in designing iOS games because the expectations are low and you don't have to be very creative or spend a lot of time in production.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
this is karmic retribution for not making rise of nations 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom