Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Game of Thrones RPG Interview at Dagon's Lair

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Cyanide; Game of Thrones

French website Dagon's Lair has posted an interview with Game of Thrones' lead designer Sylvain Sechi. Have some tidbits:

First reviews on english console dedicated website gave to the game average ratings, whose I really don’t understand regarding the PC release. After, other specialized websites, like us at Dagon’s Lair or RPGFrance published far more positive reviews. Are the sales meeting expectations? How was the reception? Are there big differences on PC or console? What was your studio’s reaction regarding the reception for the game?

Syl : It’s too early to have detailed sales figures, but the game seems to do well. About the press reviews, it’s something which touched us much. It’s hard to work 3 years, sweating blood, without reacting regarding the comments of the journalist testing our game. First opinions were mainstream magazines whose readers are mainstream action gamers / core gamers who play mainly on consoles. We knew GOT was a hardcore game. An « old school » RPG, and those journalists didn’t like at all some aspects of the game. In Europe, the critics were mostly better, with some good ratings. I think european gamers are more bound to the game and to its’ story than next-gen graphics.

On the player side, it’s been mostly positive and that made us feel good. Even if they didn’t like the game, we had a very good reception from RPG fans. It’s mainly for them we created this game. Respect of the licence and of the story are two strong points. Players are divided about the combat system. Some love it, some hate it…

I think ingame narration is well implemented and cutscenes are evenly disseminated through the story. Were there discussions about narration and dialogue quantity for the game?

Syl : About narration, we knew since we started we would like to keep two stories, told from the point of view of each of the two main characters. It’s something I love in the books, which gives great possibilities in term of writing and twists. So we knew we would keep this element. It’s been obvious the story was important and it had to go through storytelling and dialogues. Overall, the games has about 270.000 words, as a comparison, it’s about the length of the Game of Thrones first book. After having all the quests written, we re-read all the quests and we made some dialogues shorter, because they became too long as the writing developped. It was the thing to do, as we had already many dialogues and didn’t want to bury players under dialogues which were not necessary.

Combat system and skill development is especially intersting, and quite tactical, even if we can’t control many characters. The slowdon allowing to order commands is excellent. Somewhere it feels like the mythical Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, but has its’ particular feeling and specificity. What were your goal by making this gaming system? Were there tentation or pressures to do something more action oriented?

Syl : About character development, being a pen & paper player, it was an important point for us, where we wanted to offer the player maximum choice to customize his character, but staying true to the game and the world.

About combat system, of course Kotor is a big reference, but we didn’t want action, as it wouldn’t fit to the Game of Thrones universe which is much in strategy and politics. We didn’t want a combat system not on par with the universel. There’s also very few fights in the original IP, and we wanted to keep those elements. We wanted our combats to last a bit longer, so they can be more strategic and more rare.​

Click here for the full interview (but be sure to scroll down a bit for the English version, translated from French).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nice to know that Cyanide feel support of old-school gamers and do not go emo because of shitty reviews.

By the way, while I am not very found of russian Absolute Games, but it's nice to see them being the only positive (green) critic review of GoT RPG on metacritic with 75% score :obviously: warms old storyfag's heart...

Malpercio

Arcane
I feel really bad for Cyanide.

I had more fun with GoT rpg than with any of the shit Bethesda or Bioware put out in the last years. I wonder if they read the codex, impressions here have been mostly positives.

Maybe in the next game they should add shitty romances and stupid fetch quests, then reviewers will like them!

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Now that is a game that could really benefit from an "enhanced edition" : those guys are on the right track, they just need a little more time to sharpen their CRPG skills...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First opinions were mainstream magazines whose readers are mainstream action gamers / core gamers who play mainly on consoles.
Didn't stop DA:O/DA2 from getting accolades. :M Not enough payola?

There are of course many other sourcdes of inspiration. In particular Planescape Torment and Knight of the Old Republic.
We knew GOT was a hardcore game. An « old school » RPG, and those journalists didn’t like at all some aspects of the game.
About combat system, of course Kotor is a big reference
:hmmm:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Haven't played this but I'm looking forward to Of Orcs and Men.

Good that Cyanide is doing well and not going the way of Radon Labs.

sser

Arcane
Developer
GoT is DA:O with fewer combat abilities but a much more interesting story.

Everyone who plays it has to know that if BioWare had made the game it would have received high marks. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

this game is so full of flaws... dumb dialogs, whole gameplay concentrated on dumb and easy fights, one of the worst fighting system since decades, dumb stats with absolutely no meaning, braindead ai, gamebreaking bugs, linear and dumb action crap. planescape torment was an inspiration to this? those developers are full of shit like this game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

this game is so full of flaws... dumb dialogs, whole gameplay concentrated on dumb and easy fights, one of the worst fighting system since decades, dumb stats with absolutely no meaning, braindead ai, gamebreaking bugs, linear and dumb action crap. planescape torment was an inspiration to this? those developers are full of shit like this game.

I think the dialogue is sharp and a reflection of the source material, but that is subjective. I found many of the fights to be impossible on certain difficulties. Reading online takes, I was not alone in this (and I always play my games on harder difficulties); this is also subjective, though. I'm not sure how something can be the worst thing since time itself, so I got nothing to say to that. The stats do have meaning -- numerical impressions of your actions are listed out in a clear manner. You are just wrong, there. The AI, well, it is combat AI. Not much room for it to do anything to dazzle; it is effective. I did not find gamebreaking bugs. I did not find the game to be anymore linear than the rest of its peers. The story has a sense of direction and purpose, too, so even if it is linear it is still well-founded when compared to something like the directionless, pointless plot of DA2.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I think the dialogue is sharp and a reflection of the source material, but that is subjective.

i thought the dialogs were dull and clumsy and had nothing in common with the conspiracy of the books. but the books ain't that well written either. game of thrones is simply overhyped by the masses.

The stats do have meaning -- numerical impressions of your actions are listed out in a clear manner. You are just wrong, there.

not outside combat and that's sadly the whole point of the game, everything is centered around combat which doesn't reflect the books in any way too. plus those fighting stats can be easily compensated by items and are therefore meaningless.

I did not find gamebreaking bugs.

i did and i had to reload to continue.

I did not find the game to be anymore linear than the rest of its peers. The story has a sense of direction and purpose, too, so even if it is linear it is still well-founded when compared to something like the directionless, pointless plot of DA2.

both da2's and got's pace and direction were simply bad. got suffered from many illogical conditions which ended in hilarious situations.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Oh come on, this game is mediocre (at best) at everything but plot. Good plot and characters are a rare thing these days and deserves some recognition, but average critics and gamer scores are justified in this case. Gameplay and mechanics are really clumsy and the game is extermely linear, graphics are outdated, design is boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom