Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Frayed Knights 2 Development Blog: Creating Dungeons

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Frayed Knights; Frayed Knights 2; Rampant Games

Jay "Rampant Coyote" Barnson has put up a blog post on virtual graph paper, tool-driven development, and creating dungeons for Frayed Knights 2, a sequel to Frayed Knights currently in development. It looks like Jay has switched from Torque to Unity for the sequel. Have a snippet:

I had to architect an entirely new system for developing a core aspect of Frayed Knights gameplay – the dungeon crawling. I want them bigger, better, cooler, and far, far easier to build and test and polish.I wanted big dungeon levels that rendered quickly, which meant that simply creating a ginormous level in Blender or Lightwave and dropping it in the game wasn’t going to cut it – and it would have all the same problems that we had in the first game. No, what I needed was a tool that would allow me to do all that complicated, tedious stuff *quickly* with massive automation to prevent mistakes (especially the ones that might slip through into release). As this was the highest-risk, most experimental part of the sequel, it’s what I focused on first. And longest.

I created a kind of laundry list of features, with my new, improved “dungeon engine” going hand-in-hand with my editing demands. I wanted something as easy to use as drawing maps by hand on graph paper – in fact, something that felt a little like that would be awfully nice. It had to be powerful enough to create something like the maps of Ultima Underworld, and more so… with things unlimited map sizes , and true 3D capabilities with the ability to go over and under territory (yet, considering how humans work mainly in the horizontal, optimized for horizontal movement with small, smoother elevation changes). I wanted to be able to create something as weird and as vertical as the Pit O’ Doom from Frayed Knights: The Skull of S’makh-Daon. Finally – where the capabilities of the editor met their limits – I should be able to just swap in much more sophisticated level geometry from a tool like Blender to replace pieces of a the dungeon built by the tool. That way I could get the best of both worlds, right?

I went through several iterations of the underlying architecture (while learning Unity), many of which ended up requiring me to scrap almost everything several times. After four or five months of this, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to pull any of this off.​

To learn how it ended, as well as how long it took to create a dungeon door for the original game in the Torque engine, read the article in full.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Honestly, I'm impressed that Frayed Knights did so well to garantee a sequel... the silly "witty" humour was a big turn off for me, and I didn't see much of a repercussion on the Codex either...

Well, I'm happy for the guy; a new RPG is always a good thing, and perhaps he can manage to make the sequel less "funny".

Morkar Left

I liked it really much. The humor wasn't obstrusive. It was more like a not so serious p&p rpg session. The problem with the game was its unpolishness in regards of graphics (which I don't mind) and that it was relatively short content wise. I'm happy there is actually a sequel coming and I will buy it too.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was a good game, but the loading times between areas were far too long, especially when I went back to town to rest after a hard dungeon crawl it was annoying.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Jay showed me his dungeon building utility when we met in Paris. Pretty nifty stuff. Expect a full delivery on the promise of bigger, better dungeons in the sequel.

Bulba

Learned
was I the only one that found the humor funny and good and wants more of it in the sequel?

Morkar Left

was I the only one that found the humor funny and good and wants more of it in the sequel?

No, I enjoyed it, too. It wasn't over the top comical. More like Order of the Stick like (without reaching the quality) / p&p session like

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom