Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #23: Documentary, and More

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

The latest update to Obsidian's Project Eternity promises the same thing that proved to be very popular with DoubleFine's Kickstarter - a documentary about the development of the game:

Project Eternity the Documentary

The big news for the day is that we are adding a documentary covering the development of Project Eternity.

After getting a lot of requests to do a documentary, like the Double Fine Adventure, we started looking into it a couple of weeks ago. We talked about it more last week and decided that we don’t have a visual history of one of our games, even after almost ten years as a company. We felt it was something we should just do and do it without it being a new stretch goal.

So, we are happy to announce that we are going to include a stream, download, or physical copy of the documentary in all of our Kickstarter reward tiers. At the $20/$25 level you will be able to stream it, at the $35 level you will be able to download it, and at the $140 level (and physical tiers above) we will include a DVD / Blu-ray.​

Aside from that, there's also a new physical add-on - Project Eternity playing cards:

Project Eternity Playing Cards Add-On

As a fun new add-on for Sunday, we are now offering Project Eternity playing cards for $10. Designed by Scott Everts, one of our longtime technical artists who worked on Black Isle’s Infinity Engine games, and does a lot of work on board games, he designed this beautiful set which will feature characters and maybe critters (Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful anyone?) from Project Eternity. Check out the Project Eternity Add-On List on how to add-on items to your pledge. (Please note: Playing Cards only available to tiers including physical items. For digital tier folks, we’ll hopefully sell these as a future store offering.)Project Eternity Playing Cards Add-On

As a fun new add-on for Sunday, we are now offering Project Eternity playing cards for $10. Designed by Scott Everts, one of our longtime technical artists who worked on Black Isle’s Infinity Engine games, and does a lot of work on board games, he designed this beautiful set which will feature characters and maybe critters (Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful anyone?) from Project Eternity. Check out the Project Eternity Add-On List on how to add-on items to your pledge. (Please note: Playing Cards only available to tiers including physical items. For digital tier folks, we’ll hopefully sell these as a future store offering.)​

I also remind you that Monday is the Project Eternity AMA on Reddit day.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Not remotively interested in the documentary, I want them to make a game, not a movie.

Playing cards... :retarded:

MCA
Playing cards... Meh. If they have invented a new game (eg. Caravan from FNV), I'd be interested but this is boring. Especially if it comes with the shitty DeviantArt-grade concept artwork on it.

Documentary is a nice gesture, however. And good that we'll have a post-mortem peek at MCA-Sawyer-Cain trio at their game.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What's wrong with playing cards with the buddies?

There's nothing wrong with it, I just expected them to actually concentrate on the PC game, not some meaningless fluff gimmicks thrown around. Will you really play that PE card game with your buddies?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

There's nothing wrong with it, I just expected them to actually concentrate on the PC game, not some meaningless fluff gimmicks thrown around. Will you really play that PE card game with your buddies?

That's not PE cardgame. Look at the pictures, it is a regular deck of poker cards, just with PE artwork.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

That's not PE cardgame. Look at the pictures, it is a regular deck of poker cards, just with PE artwork.

In this case I apologize then, should have read more thorough. Still, waste of money and ressources that could've gone to the actual game instead, IMO. :P

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Surf Solar
But if people don't buy the cards as add-on, there would be no extra money and resources in the first place. More likely, the extra donations will cover the cost of making the deck, and you will in fact have more money and resources for the base game.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

In this case I apologize then, should have read more thorough. Still, waste of money and ressources that could've gone to the actual game instead, IMO. :P
BRO, they already have the artwork for the cards (the concept art they already published). They just need some minor touches here and there and then they just have to get in touch with USPCC (http://www.usplayingcard.com/), which are the gold-standard in playing card manufacture (it would be foolish to settle for anything less than that). That's it: playing cards deck done.

EDIT: here's a list of all playing cards decks projects on KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/search?term=playing+cards . If you'll take a look at them, most of them are printed by USPCC and most of the work involved on the designer's end is creating the artwork. Obsidian already has the artwork, so they can hit the ground running by calling USPCC.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I wasn't very happy about the double fine documentary either, but when I saw it I was hooked, very interesting stuff ...and making it is pretty cheap anyway. I'll certainly be waiting for the PE documentary.

MCA
Surf Solar
But if people don't buy the cards as add-on, there would be no extra money and resources in the first place. More likely, the extra donations will cover the cost of making the deck, and you will in fact have more money and resources for the base game.

A single deck costs probably no more than $1 (when produced in bulks) and even that is likely an inflated price. So they will profit around $9 per deck. Let's say 5K people buying a deck = around $45K.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom