Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Slow News Day: GOG.com EA Sale

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: GOG; Lands of Lore; Nox; Ultima; Ultima Underworld

The folks over at GOG.com* (formerly Good Old Games**) are having a pretty sweet sale on EA titles.

RPGs on sale:
Ultima 1-9, Ultima Underworld 1-2, Nox and Lands of Lore 1-3. A few of these are sold in bundles.
The sale also includes some really good non-RPGs such as Dungeon Keeper 1-2, Alpha Centauri and Theme Hospital.

The sale will run for three days.

* This is a referral link supporting the RPG Codex, so make sure to use it. Or else.
** Yes, they changed their actual business name to the very descriptive "GOG.com".

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'll ask here as well. Do Lands of Lore (1 and 2) and the 2 Crusader games use MIDI? Or if you know if any of the games on there use MIDI and possibly specifically written for Roland sound modules (like the MT-32 or Soundcanvas)? I have all the Ultima's and Wing Commander's.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unfortunately it doesn't include the expansion pack for DK1

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
In before we have compromised our journalist's integrity and sold ourselves to GOG. :troll:

Aurelius

Educated
Do Lands of Lore (1 and 2) and the 2 Crusader games use MIDI?
Both Lands of Lore 1 and 2 have the option to use MIDI, and LoL1 can make use of the MT-32 (besides general MIDI), although the GoG version uses Sound Blaster as the default. I'm not so sure about LoL2, you can switch between "digital" and "midi" music ingame, but setting specific sound hardware is done via setup, which I can't get to run in the GoG version. I've got no idea about the other games.

Here's a sample for LoL1, Patrick Stewart's voice acting alone is worth it:

It should also be noted that the GoG version of LoL2 doesn't offer any support for hardware acceleration (which leads to inferior frame rates). LoL1 can also be run via ScummVM, though I haven't tested that with this version.

Esquilax

Arcane
We can't hear you over the sounds of crunching Doritos™ and slurping Mountain Dew™.

:declining: This is bullshit. The only slurping I approve of on the Codex is the slurping of pussy forests.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

crafthack

Educated
Do Lands of Lore (1 and 2) and the 2 Crusader games use MIDI?
Both Lands of Lore 1 and 2 have the option to use MIDI, and LoL1 can make use of the MT-32 (besides general MIDI), although the GoG version uses Sound Blaster as the default. I'm not so sure about LoL2, you can switch between "digital" and "midi" music ingame, but setting specific sound hardware is done via setup, which I can't get to run in the GoG version. I've got no idea about the other games.

Here's a sample for LoL1, Patrick Stewart's voice acting alone is worth it:

It should also be noted that the GoG version of LoL2 doesn't offer any support for hardware acceleration (which leads to inferior frame rates). LoL1 can also be run via ScummVM, though I haven't tested that with this version.
Hey man, do you mind sharing how you got LoL1 working with Roland MT-32 with DOSBox/ScummVM? I've been wondering this for ages since playing Ultima Underworld with MT32 (which is a huge improvement)

Achilles

Arcane
EA games on GOG on a 60% off sale you say? Hey wait a minute...

GOG head: Massive discounts "bad for gamers"

"Our average sale tends to be around 40% – 50% off; that's plenty of incentive to pick up a game if you're interested or if you just think you might like to try it because you're not sure about the game, but not some crazy 75% or 85% discount that damages the long-term value of a game."
Steam sales "cheapen intellectual property" says EA Origin boss

We won't be doing that. Obviously they think it's the right thing to do after a certain amount of time. I just think it cheapens your intellectual property.

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom