Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 171: Josh Sawyer on Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Aliens: Crucible; Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound; Black Isle Studios; Icewind Dale 2; J.E. Sawyer; Matt Barton; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

Matt Barton has put up the second part of his interview with Obsidian's Josh Sawyer. This part focuses not on Project Eternity, but on some of the past games that Josh was involved with, namely, the Icewind Dale and the Neverwinter Nights series, as well as the canceled Project Jefferson and Aliens RPG:

This is the second part of my interview with Josh Sawyer. We chat about Josh's key influences, his time at Black Isle and Midway, then talk about his first jobs at Obsidian. We also cover the issue of party vs. single-character CRPGs and his mixed feelings about adapting his favorite genre for console play. We also cover the cancelled Project Jefferson and Aliens RPG games.​

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Excellent stuff, all the way. I like his enthusiastic, yet sombre attitude. I am glad I finally got to learn Josh's background. He has quite a piece of history behind him...

Which also strengthens my belief he cannot into planning. :troll:

I like how, in spite of how tactfully he described the Gauntlet situation, the "Midway = morons" message comes through loud-and-clear.

The Alien RPG definitely would have been one to watch, but I'm not sure how you could make a game for a franchise like that wouldn't be linear and railroady.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I like how, in spite of how tactfully he described the Gauntlet situation, the "Midway = morons" message comes through loud-and-clear.

The Alien RPG definitely would have been one to watch, but I'm not sure how you could make a game for a franchise like that wouldn't be linear and railroady.

Alien screams survival horror to me.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

I could certainly imagine a game in the vein of System Shock 2, with a bit more emphasis on cRPG design.

Wonder what was the first unnanounced and cancelled game that he was so hesitant to discuss...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This Matt guy sounds ignorant on some of the more 'obvious stuff'. he prtends to be a 'fan'. Fuck him.

MCA

If only you knew.

stealth-bomber-25.jpg

I am extremely glad Alien RPG was cancelled.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What the hell, Matt. I just listened to episode 2 of your podcast and there you said Icewind Dale II is even more boring that the first one. And in this video you said it's one of your favourite games! Way to asskiss this guy.
:lol:

Wonder what was the first unnanounced and cancelled game that he was so hesitant to discuss...
Seven Dwarves, the Grimms' fairy tales-inspired action RPG more than likely.
Delaware - The Sith Lords
Pennsylvania - NWN2
New Jersey - Seven Dwarves
Georgia - Alpha Protocol
Connecticut - Aliens

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I could have seen the aliens RPG working in a similar way to Dead State. Relative safe area, bunch of NPCs, limited resources and a bunch of objectives to meet. Head out from safe area to replenish resources or achieve objectives and spend the rest of the time dealing with the characters as they all fall apart and turn on one another. Doesn't seem like a crazy stretch.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Great interview as usual, nice to hear about his origins and the early days at Interplay.

Irxy

Arcane
Anything interesting on Alien RPG out there?
Always wondered what really happened to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom