Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Drox Operative Demo Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Drox Operative; Soldak Entertainment

Soldak Entertainment has just tweeted that the demo for the space action RPG Drox Operative is now available for Windows and Mac!

Drox Operative is a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer.

In the Drox Operative demo, you can get a taste of the dynamic and ever changing galaxy. There is no time limit, but it does limit everything to around level 6. The demos are about 120 MB.​

Go here to download the demo, and be sure to share your impressions if you do try it out.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Oh hallo. I've heard of this game! And I have time to play!
It checks all the boxes!

Downloading!

almondblight

Arcane
It's OK. I get the feeling Soldak could make a good game if they weren't always trying to make single-player MMORPG's.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So essentially it's Diablo in Space. You create your character/ship/operative and then you cruise around in space and kill and loot. That's... kind of it.
I think you can win the game through diplomacy somehow and maybe it's a cool way to beat it in the retail version.. The NPC interactions are kind of boring though, because of the lack of text and dialogue.

There are tons of weird sci-fi abbreviations and stuff that I personally don't like. I actually don't care for space settings at all. I understood the basic stuff like... lasers... and shields.

I played 4 out of the 6 levels possible to achieve in the demo, and then I quit because I died. While I didn't play on hardcore - and you can do that - it made me feel like such a newbie that I rage-quit. I felt like I had seen what I needed to see anyway.

I took screenshots but I can't find them on the HD anywhere. The game looks pretty with nice pewpew-effects and spacey-looking space..scapes. The gameplay feels like Asteroids meets Diablo 3 and is exactly as you'd imagine it from that explanation. Dialogue and world interaction is pretty boring. Overall nice indie effort but I won't play it again.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's essentially Din's Curse in space to be more accurate.

I've been playing the beta on and off for half a year or so. It's only entertaining for the same reason Din's Curse was: it's sort of fun to see what other factions are up to.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The whole draw is the sense of urgency - how quests can fail if you hesitate too long at any given time, how planets can fall if you don't act, and so on. I don't feel like what they are aiming for would translate into TB very well.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It isn't anything amazing but, yeah, it's basically a combination of Din's Curse with Depths of Peril diplomacy between factions. Shades of Starflight (just without the narrative). I enjoyed it although I don't think it's anything I'd pick up not on sale.

Balor

Arcane
This is Diablo meets Space Rangers. Unfortunately, somehow it falls short of either, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. I miss text quests. :( Every game needs more of those!
Btw, were cut text quests (best and longest) eventially reintroduced to Space Rangers 2 English version?

Morkar Left

Sounds to me like I should keep playing SR2 instead...

Balor, afaik in SR2 Reboot were some more quests but it never reached the amount of russian textquests. Damn, if there was a proper english explanation how to use the questeditor I would even start to do my own quests...

Baron

Arcane
I wasted most of my entire day off playing this game, apart from when I went out for ten minutes and a Sri Lankan guy t-boned his car into mine (thanks, bro). And the weird thing is... these two experiences were about the same level of fun.

Drox is too much a makeover of Din's Curse, a mouse mashing loot-fest. I thought it worked quite well in a dungeon, a vicious pit of distorted summoned creatures battling for survival. But a crowded universe is quite distasteful, (hence, the necessary genocides). :obviously:

I think I would really love this game if it was slow and strategic, if I could scan sectors, mine populated planetoids, hail the enemy on comms, slowly turn my ship about, disrupt his shields, activate tractor beams, juryrig my systems, ram his ship... but nah, it's all about button mashing. Fire and forget.

Half the game is scanning recovered loot in your cargo bay to see if there is some slight statistical advantage, and then selling off this clutter for chump change. I don't find this much fun. Emptying one's cargo bays is like a compulsive hoarder attempting to do spring cleaning. Quests usually demand contact with worlds and solar systems you've never encountered or not likely to encounter (I play biggest maps... cos it just be like real space, dig?).

There is a good game to be made here, with the quests, sabotage, rumourmongering etc , and it's Soldak doing what Soldak does. But it's just a cacophany. For me, I think of space as a symphony. A symphony where you can enjoy the dull thudding of missiles against the hull, and make deliberate decisions to jettison the upperdeck crews into the cold void of space for a fraction more power to the shields.

Alas, not everyone can live up to my standards. Certainly not Sri Lankan drivers. Certainly not Space Diablo. What a brain dead day.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Agreed -- there's too much ARPG/Din's Curse influence with the loot and pacing. I don't quite understand the need for it. It works fine for Din's Curse but not shoe horned into a space exploration backdrop.

Lightknight

Liturgist
So essentially it's Diablo in Space.
If it's supposed to be Diablo in space - then it's badly done Diablo in space.
Much like in Din's Curse, classes are without anything unique to them, too many pointless stats lead to a mound of items with many pointless +stat (in case of Soldak's games it realy is quite alot of +stat on every item), and like in Din's Curse, i suspect the variety of items will also be very, very small.

Half the game is scanning recovered loot in your cargo bay to see if there is some slight statistical advantage
Pretty much this.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the pacing bothers you play as a slow juggernaut instead. I'm still butthurt the level restrictions don't allow me to become a genuine aircraft carrier, but otherwise I'm quite happy with it and will be purchasing when my financial situation improves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom