Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher Q&A at NWN Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://nwvault.ign.com>NWN Vault</a> has posted a <a href=http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Interviews.Detail&id=213>community interview</a> with CDProject about <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/>The Witcher</a> aka <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7725>RPG Redefined</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>1) Will there be such thing as hero's fatigue? How it will be realized? - Ksandr Warfire
<br>
The character's fatigue is realized in the game via Hit Points. Each complicated or powerful hit as well as sign casting causes the decrease of hit points. Whenever the number of HP is lower than the cost of a certain hit, the protagonist will only be restricted to using the basic attacks. The same applies to signs, when the number of HP is lower than the cost of a sign, the player will not be able to cast it. The Hit Points will regenerate in a few ways. They will slowly regenerate themselves at all times, though, when not in the fight, the player will be able to meditate, thus accelerating the regeneration process. During the fights the player will have to use special elixirs in order to replenish the HP's or accelerate the regeneration. In the novels Geralt would very often use various elixirs and we'd like to emphasize this fact in the game's mechanics. The elixirs will of course not only serve as a means of the character's rejuvenation, but they will be an inseparable element of the gameplay and the combat tactics.</blockquote>
<br>
Drinking <s>potions</s>, err, elixirs is an important element that shouldn't be ignored when one attempts to redefine RPGs. I'm glad they got this one right!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Vykromond

Scholar
Wait, what the fuck? They're calling fatigue HP? What the fuck are they calling HP, then? Probably "health," I guess, but it's still idiotic.

(If this is answered in the interview, mb; I don't really feel like reading through more interviews about The Witcher.)

Vault Dweller

Developer
It looks like they only have HPs and certain activities use HPs, so swinging a sword to damage an enemy also damages your own character. Very CLEVAR!

dunduks

Liturgist
Well according to novels elixirs are poisons, which, however, grant user great power (if the user is withcer, normal humans would die a horrible death), that would explain hitpoint cost.
And i think that they are reffering to witcher "sign" magic that also drains users life force, hence the mention of using simple sword/weapon attacks, instead of it.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Weapons were covered already, dummy! The repollution of RPG means that your character is a fencing master, uses two swords (one for monsters, the other for others!) and can use other weapons, but that is discouraged because he's a fencing master!

Vault Dweller

Developer
dunduks said:
Well according to novels elixirs are poisons, which, however, grant user great power (if the user is withcer, normal humans would die a horrible death), that would explain hitpoint cost.
That would make sense, but, according to CDProject, speshul elixirs RESTORE health, as crazy as it may sound.

During the fights the player will have to use special elixirs in order to replenish the HP's or accelerate the regeneration
So, stop trying to impress us with your knowledge of the novels! How many rpgs have YOU redefined lately?

RGE

Liturgist
Call of Cthulhu would've redefined PnP RPGs if they had let it. Instead of starting at level 1 and ending at level X, you start at level X and try to stay alive and sane for as long as you can.

Those special witcher elixirs sound like they ought to temporarily lower HPs and make the witcher more vulnerable while also making him more powerful. So I guess that from the description, that's one lost opportunity to make potions work differently from other games.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Yeah, RGE and dunduks are right - the potions, whilst giving the witcher extraordinary teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle powers, exhausted him a lot. And IIRC the healing elixirs he used made him fall unconscious at one point (but sped up his metabolism and thus he could heal more quickly).

yarpen

Novice
I don't know who answered the questions but he managed to mess it up quite nicely. It's pretty straightforward really, swings/"spells" (signs) cost mana (endurance), not hit points. Hit points are just, well, hit points. All there's is to it. I'm a humble programmer BTW, so I wont comment on this RPG redefined thing, dont ask.

Stark

Liturgist
yarpen said:
I don't knowI'm a humble programmer BTW, so I wont comment on this RPG redefined thing, dont ask.

it's silly to dislike a game simply because of some silly hype that came with marketing guy, but that is exactly how i felt after reading the bullshit "redefine RPG" article.

I am glad you came down to clarify though. it makes me feel more respect for the people working on this game.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
RGE said:
So I guess that from the description, that's one lost opportunity to make potions work differently from other games.
I disagree. I've got a preview video which explains that the potions poison the Witcher, accumulating until the level of poisoning becomes deadly.
The Witcher can cure himself with a "healing" potion, but this will cancel the benefits of his elixirs at the same time.

Vykromond

Scholar
yarpen said:
I don't know who answered the questions but he managed to mess it up quite nicely. It's pretty straightforward really, swings/"spells" (signs) cost mana (endurance), not hit points. Hit points are just, well, hit points. All there's is to it.

OK. Sounds good, thanks for clarifying.

I'm a humble programmer BTW, so I wont comment on this RPG redefined thing, dont ask.

*doesn't ask*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom