Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial PC Gamer looks back at Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Blue Sky Production; Looking Glass Studios; Ultima Underworld

PC Gamer has published a retrospective article on Blue Sky Productions' (later Looking Glass Studios) Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss.

It’s difficult to overestimate just how many innovations Underworld brought to the genre, but it was what I was actually doing in the game that hooked me. Even at a time when complex, massive RPGs were the norm, it was exceptionally engrossing. I still have my notebook; it says things like ‘Sir Cabirus: eight talismans’, ‘Ironwit wants blueprints – SE of his complex?’ and ‘Uus Por: large jumps’, along with translations of a lizardman language and other long-forgotten reminders to myself.

‘Uus Por’ was a spell I’d discovered: in Underworld, you cast spells by collecting individual rune stones you find in the dungeon, then arranging them on your rune rack. Some of these spells you can find written down, others have to be discovered through experimentation.

Each of the eight levels of Underworld is artfully designed. As you descend deeper, you’re introduced to more and more factions. There are the goblins, of mutually hostile green and grey varieties; the lizardmen, with their seemingly impenetrable language; an order of knights described by the strategy guide as ‘depressingly virtuous’; and the usual ogres, trolls, ghouls, mages, bats and more.​

This is part of their Reinstall series of articles. Hopefully they'll cover more CRPGs in the future.

Project: Eternity
Hopefully they'll cover more CRPGs in the future.

One would hope; its easily one the top two or three genres that hold up well over time (sucks to be you, first-person shooter trailblazers!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom