Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #21: Happy Holidays and a free copy of The Bard's Tale

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale; Bard's Tale (2005); Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight; Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate; Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Hey, it's an actual Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update!

It doesn't really contain any new information, though. You'll have to check out Ask A Dev Week if you're interested in that. The Wasteland 2 team does send us their season's greetings, though, and presents all backers with a free Steam key for 2004's The Bard's Tale, inXile's first game, which as of October also includes the original Bard's Tale trilogy! You can grab your key at Ranger Center.

The update also reports that the art crowdsourcing experiment is progressing nicely, with dozens of art assets already submitted. Several examples are provided - check them out if you like bicycle racks and water towers. The Penny Arcade Report interviewed Brian about this initiative.

And that's pretty much of it. Something bigger is coming up in January though, so stay tuned.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Wo-hoo! Gifts!

EDIT: I did not get the classic BTs in my steam list so I assume you play them from the popamole version's launcher or something?

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't really want or care for this but I guess it's Steam Games +1.

:love: :thumbsup:

They didn't have to, but they still gifted us. Nice gesture. I especially covet the originals, I can play them now! :) Can I only get it for pc or can I get it for iOS too?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The iOS version was free a week ago in an unrelated promo, so...sorry, you missed it :( It's not too expensive on iOS tho, and will probably go on sale or promotional give-away again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just redeemed my code, so I ask: is the new one worth playing at all?

It's an action RPG that actually focuses on action instead of grinding for items. It also has a pretty unique system for "party members" that can add a nice tactical depth at times.

Unfortunately they didn't go far enough with it and the game loses steam midway through.

Still, I would give it a chance. The game's beginning is a bit bland and the camera will seem very weird, but bear with it, it gets better.

Zakhad

Savant
Just redeemed my code, so I ask: is the new one worth playing at all?

It's an action RPG that actually focuses on action instead of grinding for items. It also has a pretty unique system for "party members" that can add a nice tactical depth at times.

Unfortunately they didn't go far enough with it and the game loses steam midway through.

Still, I would give it a chance. The game's beginning is a bit bland and the camera will seem very weird, but bear with it, it gets better.

Cheers! May give it a try.

Turjan

Arcane
Nice gift, although I already have the game on Steam. Btw, is there an easy way to make screenshots out of the old games?
Fraps?
Maybe. Neither Steam hotkey nor Print Screen work, but didn't try that.
Do they run in Dosbox because then ctrl-F5 should take a screen shot.
That brings up the browser with an online manual :D. I guess I should should do the utmost and try and read the instructions ;).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Wow, I didn't think Bard's Tale (the "new" one) would suck so much shit.
The first of the classics wasn't very good either. Couldn't get 2 or 3 to work.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, I didn't think Bard's Tale (the "new" one) would suck so much shit.
The first of the classics wasn't very good either. Couldn't get 2 or 3 to work.

It's not the same as playing it on the C-64. In fact, I think the only way to enjoy it is on C-64, or an emulator, should
you have to. Then again, when I played it, drawing 20x20 maps on graph paper, one step at a time, looking in all
directions, casting light, playing songs, for testing of anti magic and silence fields, I was still in school and girls were
still a strange concept. Okay, I was still in school.

Dehumanizer

Educated
The first of the classics wasn't very good either.

It's good for what it is: a Wizardry-type game. In fact, at the time it was advertised as "Wizardry with decent graphics". Of course, one shouldn't expect choices and consequences from that kind of game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom