Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence April Update: State of the Game (and More)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

Vault Dweller has put up another monthly development update for his turn- and choice-and-consequence-based RPG The Age of Decadence. Have a snippet concerning the current state of the game:

State of the game.

We’re doing the final Maadoran pass, going over loose ends and such, expanding the content a bit, etc. For example, if you pass a streetwise check in the merc vignette, the merchant refers you to a man in Maadoran:

“If you're ever in Maadoran, talk to Kemnebi and tell him I sent you. He’s a careful man and doesn't hire anyone without a recommendation from someone he trusts.”

So, we did a good quest involving there different raiders and merc companies down on their luck, but it’s sort of shame to restrict this quest only to mercs who passed a streetwise check. At the same time, if you let everyone get the quest, the reward for passing that check is meaningless. So it has to be something interesting.

Now, if you recall, we had plans to port the arena demo to the new engine and combat system, add more fights and release it as a stand-alone, 5-dollar game, but then decided against it. Still, I wrote a mini-story for the extra content, so we tweaked it a bit to allow more options (didn’t need many for a straight combat game) and are adding it to Maadoran, which will be a good way to arrange an alternative introduction to Kemnebi.

Sneak preview:

You find Basil talking to a well-dressed man, backed by two grim-faced guards. The guards look at you as if they consider your very existence an insult.

“As I was just explaining to Basileios,” says the man, smiling politely, “we have a bit a problem. We have a lot of interests in this districts, as well as the others, and we employ local … collectors to keep things running smoothly. Imagine my surprise, when I was told that the collectors in this district have run into a problem and disappeared.

“We’re always concerned for the well-being of our employees, so we asked around and, well, here we are. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that mistakes were made, but let’s not dwell on the past. Moving forward is what I’m here to discuss.”
“Who are you?”
The man raises an eyebrow. “I would have thought that it would be obvious. I represent the Forty Thieves guild. Now, we’re willing to overlook what happened,” he says looking at Basil. “Of course, payments would have to be resumed –”

“Of course,” says Basil quickly.

“ – and examples would have to be made,” continues the man, looking at you. Basil shrinks and looks away. The bodyguards move toward you.
Start making examples of your own.

Wait, what about the beta-test?

Planning to start beta-testing Maadoran, related locations, and system changes in early June. Speaking of which:

R4

Looking better and better. Ivan's mostly working on DS these days, but he found some time to do the animation for the new 2H attacks: the "double-tap" and 'all-in" attacks. No, these are not their actual names.​

For the character of the month and the filler characters’ deadline, as well as the problem of memory leaks and loading times, read the update in full.

BobtheTree

Savant
Glad to see they are plugging along. Also glad they're continuing to seek more content through depth of replayability.

MCA
When will they start using Unity and solve all of their problems?

:troll:

Next game? Maybe we can convince ObsidinXile to license their code to Iron Tower. :P

Why not. It sounds to me like they are having way too many problems with Torque. Either Unity or UDK sounds like a much better outfit and I doubt they would have a particularly difficult time adapting their current dev tools to either platform.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Looking(and reading) better and better, i love the writing in this game compared to all the other shit we have to put up with in fantasy crpg's.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Next game? Maybe we can convince ObsidinXile to license their code to Iron Tower. :P

Why not. It sounds to me like they are having way too many problems with Torque. Either Unity or UDK sounds like a much better outfit and I doubt they would have a particularly difficult time adapting their current dev tools to either platform.
In all seriousness, Torque seems like a piece of shit to work with. But after all the time and effort it took VD getting AoD where it is now, I doubt he'll be willing to give up on it easily.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In all seriousness, Torque seems like a piece of shit to work with. But after all the time and effort it took VD getting AoD where it is now, I doubt he'll be willing to give up on it easily.

The Frozen Synapse guys like it!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Torque's a bitch to work with, but it works. The latest round of tweaks fixed most issues I've had with it - occasional crashes due to memory leaks and long loading times. The Unity looks good, but I don't see it as an answer to all our problems. No 3rd party engine is perfect, so better the devil you know than the devil you don't. From what I know the Unity is easier to get into and put something playable together, which makes it appealing for new developers (I don't mean established companies like inXile and Obsidian, obviously, but a fairly large user base). Torque offers a better scripting engine, which is a big plus. Can't say much more than that. I guess playing WL2 and PE would be a good way to evaluate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom