Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #26: Turn-Based Combat Wins

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update announces the expected result of the combat system vote - a resounding victory for turn-based combat. As the vote was very close, Kevin Saunders took the time to write a comprehensive apologia for the decision, in an attempt to mollify the RTwP hordes. Here's an excerpt from that:

As we explained in Update 24, we were leaning toward turn-based combat because we believe it’s better suited for the kind of tactical complexity we're looking for through our Crisis system. We believe it’s a stronger fit for bringing narrative elements, including dialogue with NPCs, into hand-crafted combat situations. We have considered the vote, but more important than the vote are the comments (not just in our forums, but on many of the community forums and articles on this topic). Your comments have helped us greatly in understanding why people have the preferences and concerns that they do.

We have decided to go with turn-based combat. Ultimately, there are no losers here. This is all part of the process of making an RPG we are all passionate about and we think you’ll like Torment’s combat even if you voted for RTwP. While we have not been looking forward to disappointing half of our backers, we were happy to find that many of the reasons people gave for disliking TB and preferring RTwP can be addressed through the details of our combat system and encounter design. I’d like to go over some of the more common comments we saw either for RTwP or against TB and explain how we will address them.

Comment #1: Turn-Based combat can be tedious

If one were to take Planescape: Torment and, changing nothing else, switch to TB combat, the result would be miserable for many. You'd be stopped midstride in every Hive back alley to perform the same boring actions on meaningless thugs and zombies.

This isn’t what we’re going to do.

Turn-based combat certainly can be tedious, but that comes down to encounter design. As we stated during the Kickstarter, Torment will have no trash mobs—those hordes of filler battles that require little thought from the player. That type of gameplay is at odds with our emphasis on the story and character development, so each Crisis in Torment will be hand-crafted. It will have narrative relevance and consequences. We'll iterate on them until each one is a quality encounter and provides the experience we seek for that moment in the game.

If any combat situation in Torment were tedious, it wouldn’t be because it's turn-based. It would be because we failed in our goal. And our Crises aren’t just combat. They contain exploration, dialogue, and time-relevant actions and events that can exist outside of combat, like pursuits, environmental puzzles, and application of special skills. You’re going to have to work throughout the game toward your goals, and the Crisis concept is a primary way that we put your intentions to the test.

We understand the importance to you of combat not being tedious. Emphasis on encounter design is important for any CRPG, but for Torment, the bar will be even higher – we believe that through well designed encounters, and extensive gameplay iteration on them, we’ll be able to address the majority of the concerns expressed by those who favored RTwP.
And there's even a choice quote from Chris Avellone himself:

"The Planescape: Torment experience was never defined by its combat. In Torment: Tides of Numenera, the combat is intended to complement both the narrative systems and the basic gameplay mechanics. It is a challenging decision for the team to make, and I respect and support their decision to choose turn-based."

-- Chris Avellone, Lead Designer of Planescape: Torment; Creative Director at Obsidian Entertainment​

In summary - suck it down, smudboy, SUCK IT DOWN.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
ITT people pretend it wasn't rigged.

Yeah. Like people who have always specialized in TB and have been developing a full-fledged TB system for Wasteland 2 for over a year would throw that away and opt for RTwP they have little to no experience with. It's enough to read their description of both systems on their forums to see which one they favour.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Didn't they say from the beginning that they were leaning toward TB and the vote wasn't anything other than a litmus test of the community's opinion on the two systems?

ColCol

Arcane
Yes, the rtwp cultist are fleeing the battle, now let us drag their god before them and burn it down.

CWagner

Augur
If the stats were reversed and RTwP would have won with that margin they probably still would have gone with TB. But holy hell, that would have been a clusterfuck of rage. Actually that would have been hilarious, kinda sad we missed out on it :D

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
e8ljl3.gif

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This will be fun.

For some of you, the combat may have been an important part of your PST experience, and we hope that you’ll find the combat in Torment: Tides of Numenera to be at least equally enjoyable.
:lol: aim low.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All this shared-schadenfreude is killing my buzz and making it less fun. I can only truly enjoy things when it's me (and maybe one or two others) against the world.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You should have pushed phase based then.
That was off the table because of some nonsense about it being too similar to real time with pause even though they could have followed the advice of the guy from my sig and implemented a movement and action phase.

Amn Nom

Learned
I was hoping for real time with pause because there are so few good ones, but I sort of expected this given the company's inclination towards turn based.

himmy

Arcane
All this shared-schadenfreude is killing my buzz and making it less fun. I can only truly enjoy things when it's me (and maybe one or two others) against the world.

This revolution got gentrified, but I'm sure there are other barricades there that have started their calling.

hiver

All schadenfreude anyone feels about this issue is hereby proclaimed righteous, just and approved by all the spiritual realms and all major world religions as an emanation of positive karma.

ive just read the update in full.

damn... So thats what they meant by a polite email from Kevin huh?
:lol:

vEBkW.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom