Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #68: Released on GOG + Dragonfall Interview with Mitch Gitelman

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Mitch Gitelman; Shadowrun Returns; Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Having finally gotten rid of the DRM requirements in their licensing agreement, Harebrained Schemes have fulfilled their promise and released Shadowrun Returns on GOG, DRM-free. It's available at a 40% discount until Thursday, though to be honest, even at that price, it might be worth waiting for the Dragonfall expansion to be released next month so you can get them together for $25. The game's latest Kickstarter update has further information:

HBS is happy to announce that as of today, Shadowrun Returns is now available for Windows and Mac on GOG.com!

And please let all your friends know they can purchase the game at the special release price of $11.99 through tomorrow, 12/11/2013. Here’s the link: http://www.gog.com/game/shadowrun_returns

The DRM-free version of the game will continue to be fully supported and you'll be able to download all game patches, use the Shadowrun Returns editor and experience user-generated content downloaded from third-party sites such as Nexus. If you are a Kickstarter Backer or pre-ordered the game, we are happy to send you a GOG key if you contact us at info@hbs-studios.com.

We are also pleased to let our Linux-loving fans know that they’ll soon be able to access the game through the Humble Store. We’ll let you know about it as soon as possible.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall, the expansion for Shadowrun Returns, will also be available on GOG and the Humble Store when it’s released in January.​

Speaking of Dragonfall, Game Informer interviewed HBS producer Mitch Gitelman about it last week. Here's an excerpt:

Shadowrun Returns has been out for a few months now, and you’ve probably had the chance to get some feedback on how the game was received. What criticisms and praise have you taken to heart, and how will that be reflected in the new Berlin project?

We’re pretty passionate about our jobs and tend to take everything to heart: the good and the bad. Shadowrun: Dragonfall reflects quite a bit of feedback we received since the launch of Shadowrun Returns.

First and most important, Dragonfall has a more flexible story structure than the original Dead Man’s Switch campaign. Players will have the ability to choose which runs to complete first and a larger assortment of side missions to select from. In addition, you can complete optional objectives for factions in the story with their own agendas.

We felt that the Seamstresses Union location in the Seattle campaign provided an effective base-of-operations for the player, but it also wound up feeling restrained and a bit claustrophobic. In Dragonfall, we're providing the player a full Berlin kiez, or neighborhood, to operate out of. You'll be able to explore and interact with a variety of residents and merchants in the area, head to the street doc's office for some new chrome, or retreat to your hidden safehouse to plan your next move.

To support the new structure of the Berlin campaign, and in reaction to audience feedback, we’ve expanded the save game functionality to allow you to save your game at any time.

One of the things we really enjoy in RPGs is interacting with a team of interesting, nuanced characters throughout the campaign. This was something we didn't get to do as much as we wanted to in Dead Man Switch, though we were happy with where we were able to take a couple of characters, such as the bartender & aspiring shadowrunner, Coyote. In Dragonfall, we're introducing a full team of runners with their own backstories and motivations that players can get to know and choose for specific runs, rather than hiring random mercenaries who feel disposable. Each of the characters has a unique set of skills, abilities, and equipment and is designed to play a role on the team.

Overall, we received the highest praise for the look, the writing, and the tone of Seattle, which many players told us was what they’d always seen in their heads. With Dragonfall, our goal is to make Berlin feel like a new and distinctly European location with its own vibe, yet clearly set in the world of Shadowrun and consistent with the themes of the Berlin tabletop RPG sourcebook. To that end, Dragonfall features new environment art, a large new cast of characters, and a new soundtrack.

And, of course, we can’t ship an expansion for a tactical RPG without some new weapons like a sniper rifle, a grenade launcher, or a stun-inducing taser.

Beyond what we talked about above, what gameplay and technical features are changing in the new game?

In addition to the new story campaign and enhanced saved games functionality, Shadowrun: Dragonfall features enhancements and improvements to several character archetypes, new outfits, new character portraits, and new enemies - including new magical creatures. Plus, Dragonfall expands on and extends our game editor feature set, based upon feedback from the user-generated-content community, which allows for a host of new options for designers. These features appear in the Berlin campaign, and while they sound like relatively humble improvements, in a clever designer’s hands, they can have a powerful impact on the play experience - things like being able to keep track of objectives in the main game UI, exploding barrels, and the ability to enter keycodes and custom text strings in conversation.

What can you tell us about the storyline of the Berlin scenario? Who do you play? Who are some of the characters you meet? What sets it apart from the Dead Man’s Switch campaign?

Storywise, the Berlin campaign should provide a very different experience from the Seattle campaign. Where Dead Man’s Switch embroiled you in a noir-like mystery - a lone runner with a job to do - Dragonfall places you at the head a team of runners caught in a dangerous plot, and struggling to stay alive in a European city rife with conspiracy and intrigue. You’ll take jobs running against ruthless megacorporations, furthering the goals of shadowy factions with their own agendas, and coming face-to-face with some of the deadliest opponents the Shadowrun setting has to offer.

Forty-two years ago, the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge was shot down over the SOX, an irradiated wasteland between Germany and France. This event - the Dragonfall - has been all but forgotten by the world at large. But now, the people of Berlin are about to receive a grim reminder of the past, and with it, one of the greatest threats of the Awakened world.
Nothing new here, really, but let's hope it turns out as good as it sounds.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I hope that developer is not confusing writing with story. The writing was fine, the story was poor to average.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Or the bit where the serial killer showed up rather obviously at the crime scene. JUST IN CASE YOU MISS IT GUYS - THIS IS THE GUY YOU'RE AFTER

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The SOX sourcebook for Shadowrun 4 was great, if that's one of the foundation for the new campaign, story might be more intersting than Dead Man Switch. (Though I doubt they will use it extensively since it's a french-german sourcebook which was never published in english, I think.)

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, do backers/preorders get the GOG release, or only Steam keys?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, do backers/preorders get the GOG release, or only Steam keys?

They don't need either. They can download straight from HBS.
Uhm, thanks for the reply and that sounds pretty cool - but when logging into the HBS site I only get a Steam key for my pre-order of S:R (worse than useless, Steam go home, remove Steam from premises etc. etc.) - so it doesn't seem like it from here...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They don't need either. They can download straight from HBS.
Uhm, thanks for the reply and that sounds pretty cool - but when logging into the HBS site I only get a Steam key for my pre-order of S:R (worse than useless, Steam go home, remove Steam from premises etc. etc.) - so it doesn't seem like it from here...

Oh, sorry, only backers get the direct download. Don't know about pre-orders.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Strangely, I got more excited over Theme Park, that also had appeared to the GOG catalogue.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

belated

Augur
Got my GOG-key for my pre-order, nice!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom