Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #57: Post-Release Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

A week and a half after the release of Wasteland 2, inXile have published a new Kickstarter update summing up what's happened since then. I quote:

Wow! We've been extremely humbled and electrified at the feedback coming in during Wasteland 2's first week as an officially released game! We love seeing you discover all the little touches and intricacies of the game. We have been very happy to see people engrossed by the game we made with your help, and the high praise directed at it! So, mission accomplished, time to wrap this baby up!

I kid..I kid. We started working on our first patch even before the game was out, and released it last Friday. You can find the 9 pages of patch notes over on our tumblr.

Many fixes were to issues we were aware of but we've also been keeping an eye on your feedback, and tweaking the game experience based on the masses of information flowing across the various discussion boards on the web. One example of this was reducing the jam rates for guns that most frequently caused problems. Our design team is busy cleaning up issues in the various levels and will continue to do so. We are also hard at work fixing memory-related issues to reduce crashes on 32-bit machines.

The game launched with some problems in localizations causing keywords to be entirely missing which could lock you into dialogs. With the latest patch these bugs should be resolved, we will continue to catch any straggling bugs and to polish, edit and improve the localized versions in the future. We fully intend to continue supporting and updating this game, while we are also starting on the development of our modding tools.

Reviews

Part of the fun and horror of releasing a game is watching reviews stream in, both from users and press. Thankfully it was more fun than horror as Wasteland 2 currently stands at 88% recommended on Steam, with a lot of great reads in the top helpful reviews.

Press reviews have been great as well, such as these from Game Informer (8.75), Gizorama (4.5/5), and GamesBeat (94). We're rounding up all reviews on our tumblr (116 and counting).

Physical Goods Shipping

While everyone can and hopefully is playing Wasteland 2 now with their Steam or GOG keys from the Ranger Center, we've been awaiting timelines from Deep Silver on physical shipping. Because they assembled different elements from different locations in the world and generally used slower shipping, the timeline of physical goods was much longer than we anticipated. As it is looking now, our timeline will be:

- The first batch of physical goods will be standard boxes only, shipped on the 3rd week of this month. These will go out to backers receiving only the standard box.
- Batches of physical goods including the metal Collector's Edition box will ship next and we'll announce a more precise time as soon as we have it.

Deep Silver will ship them with general post shipping (without tracking). We will keep you informed as we get more info on the specific batches shipping out.

We apologize this process took longer than we'd planned or hoped for at the outset. Unfortunately, things outside of our control made it take longer than anticipated. We will do our utmost to ensure you get your physical goods as soon as is possible and in good order.
So, Deep Silver sucks. Who would have guessed? At least there's a nice shoutout to the Pathologic Kickstarter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So how about that Steam-free DVD? Better be pretty far along with patches with how late it's coming. :cool:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I see that Brother None and sea have time to respond to Roguey but not me... :x. I hope you have noticed the growing number of complaints on the KS page as well as your own forum in regards to this PR damaging distribution deal with Deep Silver. How about a comment or statement... anything but the silence so far. KS games are supposed to be different in how they approach, not only game making, but also openness and communication with your fans/backers/customers. If Deep Silver is trying to cheapskate their way through this then they're screwing over your backers/customers and you will reap the bad PR. At least acknowledge there is a problem and try to reassure people that your actually doing something about it, not just some lame "throw up your hands" and say "things outside of our control." That's what a publisher would do... InXile states they want to be better than that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I understand what you're saying but it's tricky for them, too. They have a deal with Deep Silver. They can't say anything remotely bad about them right now, like "Deep Silver sucks ass and is taking way longer than they quoted" because that'd be bad for business. Plus, such an admission also implies that they were making bad choices when it came to finding a distributor, again casting them in a bad light.

The problem with PR is that if you say anything but the typical PR bullshit, no matter how much people hate that too, it'll always bite you in the ass. It's the same with politicians. We all know they constantly lie but if they didn't they'd get even less votes than if they simply play the game. It's fair in a way since we all know the rules.

But I hear you. I'd throw money at inXile if they were all " Deep Silver is a bunch of faggots and lied to us about their distribution time, making excuses. We'll never partner with those asswipes again." - and to hell with any distributor who then no longer wants their business! Yeehaw! I'd rather a company go down gloriously than thrive 'safely'. But we all know deep down that's not realistic and livelihoods are at stake.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I understand what you're saying but it's tricky for them, too. They have a deal with Deep Silver. They can't say anything remotely bad about them right now, like "Deep Silver sucks ass and is taking way longer than they quoted" because that'd be bad for business. Plus, such an admission also implies that they were making bad choices when it came to finding a distributor, again casting them in a bad light.

The problem with PR is that if you say anything but the typical PR bullshit, no matter how much people hate that too, it'll always bite you in the ass. It's the same with politicians. We all know they constantly lie but if they didn't they'd get even less votes than if they simply play the game. It's fair in a way since we all know the rules.

So InXile are now just like politicians... that, my friend is really sad and depressing... :negative: It will have an impact on their future Kickstarterss if they don't find away to address this. I think of myself as a relatively reasonable person (especially here on the Codex :P) but this really has me shaking my head in mild rage and disappointment (maybe disillusionment in the better term) as I truly thought they wanted to be different... OMG, I now know how many Obama supporters now feel!!!

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now I want to see the contract between Fargo and DeepStit and read what damages they pay to inxile if they fail to deliver on time.

Discs have already been manufactured so we're not cutting Steam out of the general backer version, but we're still gonna ship out those Steam-free discs for those that want it.

Will there be a point where you ask that question or are the concerned backers supposed to take initiative on this?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

So InXile are now just like politicians... that, my friend is really sad and depressing... :negative: It will have an impact on their future Kickstarterss if they don't find away to address this. I think of myself as a relatively reasonable person (especially here on the Codex :P) but this really has me shaking my head in mild rage and disappointment (maybe disillusionment in the better term) as I truly thought they wanted to be different... OMG, I now know how many Obama supporters now feel!!!
That's not the issue, but if you're asking for a statement I'll end up just repeating what the Kickstarter already said: No, we're not happy about it. Yes, we realize this is not the timeframe either us or our backers were picturing. No, there's not a ton we can do about it since it is out of our hands, but yes, we are and have been hard at work to ensure they are distributed as soon as possible and in good order.

mindx2

Patron

That's not the issue, but if you're asking for a statement I'll end up just repeating what the Kickstarter already said: No, we're not happy about it. Yes, we realize this is not the timeframe either us or our backers were picturing. No, there's not a ton we can do about it since it is out of our hands, but yes, we are and have been hard at work to ensure they are distributed as soon as possible and in good order.

Thanks for the reply even if it was as Jasede predicted and I expected. One other piece that is just as concerning as the massive delay is Deep Silver not using any tracking! Are you guys prepared for the deluge of complaints that people didn't receive their 100s of dollars worth of rewards, it was damaged, etc.? How will you even know if the person actually received it and states they didn't? I have a sinking feeling you will say the same thing as in this update "Sorry, it's out of our hands. Contact Deep silver" and just walk away from it. I can already guess Deep Silver's reply for a replacement. I hope that's not the case as everything up till this point InXile has been backer friendly. If, and that's a big IF, it does play out like that be prepared for a worse KS experience (ie. fewer big money backers) next time.

Not trying to pile on to you Brother None (you've always been a true :bro: to me) but I need to vent as this really was pretty disappointing. Your deal with Deep Silver wasn't a good choice and now come the consequences... :troll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This thing isn't even close to being finished so my care-levels are quite low. :)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How will you even know if the person actually received it and states they didn't?

Well, between countries in Europe there's no tracking that I'm aware of. If there is, it's probably too expensive. People still get their things, though.
Although I do miss the cheap tracking that was available when I was in the USA. :negative:

Deleted member 7219

So many tears about Steam. Just use your fucking GOG key.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So many tears about Steam. Just use your fucking GOG key.
No, I don't want to download anything except patches. Additionally, there's already been one big mess-up with patching Wasteland 2 on GOG. I'm also going to be giving away my extra key.

Shut the fuck up about it already, i think i read that a dozen times now.
You seem awfully mad about inXile's unfinished game. I'm not, I have Skyrim and D:OS to occupy my time.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Well I see that Brother None and sea have time to respond to Roguey but not me... :x. I hope you have noticed the growing number of complaints on the KS page as well as your own forum in regards to this PR damaging distribution deal with Deep Silver. How about a comment or statement... anything but the silence so far. KS games are supposed to be different in how they approach, not only game making, but also openness and communication with your fans/backers/customers. If Deep Silver is trying to cheapskate their way through this then they're screwing over your backers/customers and you will reap the bad PR. At least acknowledge there is a problem and try to reassure people that your actually doing something about it, not just some lame "throw up your hands" and say "things outside of our control." That's what a publisher would do... InXile states they want to be better than that.

I can wait. All I care about is the box arrives unmashed.

Seerix

Arbiter
Ha ha, this deal with Derp Silver was too good to be true. And I see they went a predictable route of just being as cheapest as possible about everything* I do hope InXile will contract somebody else to do physical goods for Torment. Or is Deep Silver signed up for that already as well?

*Can't wait for news about abysmal quality of materials used or even craftsmanship itself. :lol:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Deep Silver not using any tracking!

Of course they are using tracking. They're just saying that so they won't have to answer questions constantly. In case a package is lost on the way, they'll magically produce a tracking number to see what happened...

Fry

Arcane
If you're still running 32-bit hardware, FFS upgrade.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I remember something about inxile praising deep silver for their experience when they announced the deal? I hope they didn't sign a multiple game contract with them involving torment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:lol:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/535779

“This is a perfect opportunity for inXile: it allows us to continue to focus all of our energy and money into the creative aspects of the game while letting Deep Silver take our game outside of the pure digital space. This has the added bonus of allowing us to spend more of the Kickstarter funds on development while continue to retain all ownership and control”, says Brian Fargo, CEO inXile Entertainment. “I’ve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with.”

Deep Silver will also assist inXile in the QA testing of the localized international versions of the game.
For our backers and fans, it assures you that distribution will be handled professionally and quickly, and will assure a smooth experience for getting the game and goodies into your hands. This deal also allows us to put a retail version on the shelves, so people who discover the game later can still get a physical copy.

Good old Lyin' Fargo.

I like that "people who discover the game later" part, considering I could buy a physical copy right now and have it shipped almost immediately, but the copy I bought years ago is going to take several weeks to arrive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom