Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fable worshipping at NZ Thread

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Fable: The Lost Chapters; Lionhead Studios

<a href=http://www.thread.co.nz>Thread</a>, a New Zealand mag, has posted an overly enthusiastic and rather stupid <a href=http://www.thread.co.nz/article/1150>review</a> of <a href=http://www.microsoft.com/games/fable/>Fable</a>. The score is <b>4/5</b> because <i>the depth of character development is truly outstanding</i> and it has other amazing stuff like door requirements.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Finally, an RPG that puts emphasis on the character rather than just their environment. Lion Head studio’s fascination with the concept of good vs. evil has continued in their latest offering which combines stunning graphics, memorable audio and innovative character customisation and game play to produce a game that is sure to enthral all.
<br>
<br>
Some truly unique twists on the presentation of quests exist. For example, doors exist which call for certain requirements to be met before they will open, all of which require thought and effort and as some can only be opened by good or evil characters, add to replay value immensely.</blockquote>
<br>
Wow, that door thing is truly amazing. I shall go now and reserve my copy.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
You can't blame them for being so excited about something as mundane as doors. Down in New Zealand all there is to do is drink inebriating beverages and then sodomize sheep. I'm sure if Shagnak was here he could tell us all about it.

Chefe

Erudite
The "doors" (big stone walls with faces on them) are kind of like treasure chests with special requirements.

It is a shame that with all this ability to customise your character, character type is restricted to a white male only. Perhaps a patch on XBOX Live?

That's because the story is about him. I swear, what's with these people?

One of only a few complaints about Fable is that it sports a rather lacklustre combat system. For the most part this consists of frantic button mashing, and with no combos, I was left wanting more.

There are combos. You release different attacks when you successfully string together a bunch of hits without being hit back.

Lotsa Fable reviews, none talking about the new content. Yay!.... er...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
For example, doors exist which call for certain requirements to be met before they will open, all of which require thought and effort and as some can only be opened by good or evil characters, add to replay value immensely.

Next up: games that make you choose left or right.

Zli

Novice
Ugh... It was the same thing with B&W. Molyneux gets a lot of attention from non gaming press, and people who write those, well... :roll:

My guess is Lionhead studios' PR department faxes a press release to every magazine in the world, and the occasional ADD-editor gets attracted to the X in Peter's last name and has an intern write a story about it, just to have Molyneux on the page.

(Or Molyneux's concepts of BE A GOD! LIVE ANOTHER LIFE!!! have such a grand scale about them that even with a half-arsed implementation the public laps it all up... But the other explanation makes more sense.)

LlamaGod

Cipher
Role-Player said:
Vault Dweller said:
For example, doors exist which call for certain requirements to be met before they will open, all of which require thought and effort and as some can only be opened by good or evil characters, add to replay value immensely.

Next up: games that make you choose left or right.

That's just tyranny of choice. No need for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom