Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fable unfing at Armchair Empire

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Fable: The Lost Chapters; Lionhead Studios

Fable: The Lost Chapters has been <a href=http://www.armchairempire.com/Reviews/PC%20Games/fable-lost-chapters.htm>reviewed</a> at <a href=http://www.armchairempire.com/>Armchair Empire</a>. They loved it enough to give it <b>9/10</b> because, wow, you grow horns.<blockquote>With the review package I received, there was a letter "from" Peter Molyneux stating that the intention of the Lost Chapters was not to make a straight port of the original console iteration of Fable, but to create a more complete experience and to put back some of the elements that were taken out of the original. As such, the Lost Chapters includes a few more quests and most notably a more significant quest tacked on to the end of the game.</blockquote>It would have been better if they'd included that long winded apology Molyneux posted after the game was released for Xbox and people noticed it didn't do half of what he'd promised.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

Chefe

Erudite
The review was good, better than most that I've read. The score is a little to high though, an 8 or 8.5 would be more sufficient IMO.

It didn't say horns once.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
After accepting a quest, you are directed to an area and you are not able to leave that area unless you want to forgo your quest progress for that mission as the game cannot be saved mid-quest.

I still think that sounds like a terrible idea. I tend to play games in small sections, and this idea is a real turn off - it's one of the reasons why I can/could never put the time into Guild Wars that other people do/did. The unresumable missions were a killer.

I know it's not going to be a good RPG, but it still sounds like it has some fun factor. So, I'll prolly still buy this game and add it onto the steadily growing pile of games that I don't have time to play.
DS2 is still sitting there (yes - fool that I am I bought it; there was enough there in the demo to tip the balance just); along with Boiling Point, Sacred Undies, and many others. *sigh* still haven't even got back to Div Div yet, Lunchie.

Anyway, does anyone know how long (in gameplay hours/minutes/whatever) that these missions take? Hopefully they can't be very long if the entire game is still only about 16 hours of gameplay.

Chefe

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Anyway, does anyone know how long (in gameplay hours/minutes/whatever) that these missions take? Hopefully they can't be very long if the entire game is still only about 16 hours of gameplay.

Quests are not that long. It varies, but the complaint that you can't just stop in the middle of one isn't that big of a deal. You can still save, and keep all your experience and such.... you'll just have to undertake the quest again. But again, quests don't really take that long to complete to being with. There are some later in the game that are longer, but no 40-60 minute quest.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I think the save system is pretty hard to forgive - the player should be free to choose when they want to save.

It's not a big deal most of the time but there are a couple of main story missions that probably ~45 mins to complete. One particular section I had to replay three times because I kept getting interrupted - really quite annoying when there's no good reason for it to be that way.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Fable was pretty good, but...not 9/10 good. Thats a bit too much. I would stick with 7-8 as maximum due to some obvious gameplay problems.

That horn or err nimb..numb? stuff sucks pretty much - really silly. I hated also that equipment part - every good dungeon crawler has plenty of armours to choose from. Fable is total suckage in this area - you can have practically one set of armour for each "class" (rounds up to fullplate for tanks and robes for wizards). That really sucks. With weapons there are more to choose but still they are pretty similar and useless. Augemntation would add nice distinguishing features, but..well, thats too unnoticable (not counting teh c00l effekts!).

And yeah, saving system, which I actually liked, because it played kinda realistically for me (not being able to save pushed me to be more cautios in unexplored area), but sure it would be much easier with traditioncal PC saving style. And yes, definetly, I hated spawning enemies. And there was too much hack`n`slash towards the other half of the game.

ANd, btw, as a person, that has played only Fable Lost CHapter version, I'd say it didnt feel that attached. I actually liked the part where you kinda defeat that jacky and guild is rebuilt. The thing I didnt like was, for sure, the fact that the main evil still was Jack. Oh come on, "he has returned" thats so lame...but..oh well, I'd say I didnt had any "addition" feeling while playing the "lost chapters".

Chefe

Erudite
You've already played TLC? It hasn't been released yet!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Depends on what you mean by release... I would just like to say its important for gamers to support developers who make games they like to play, or they won't be around for too much longer.

Chefe

Erudite
Oh, I see.

Well, then, tally ho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom