Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News StarCrawlers crawls to Early Access

Angthoron

Arcane
Tags: Juggernaut Games; StarCrawlers

StarCrawlers, a rare Sci-Fi blobber successfully funded on KickStarter a year ago has finally crawled its way to Steam Early access, complete with a launch trailer, non-vaporware gameplay and a development plan:

Why Early Access?
“Early Access is a great opportunity to continue creating new content for StarCrawlers while refining and improving based on your feedback. There’s a ton of abilities, enemies & missions already - we’re excited to show you what we’ve accomplished so far and work with the community to take it to the next level!”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We will be in early access for about 6 months, during which time we’ll be focusing on creating new content (additional missions, events, random encounters, environments and loot) to make the StarCrawlers universe even more dynamic, interactive, and fun to explore.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“For full release, we plan to not only complete integration of the main campaign, but also add additional abilities, enemies, environments, and tons of random events and traps to encounter. Based on player feedback during Early Access, we will be refining the balance between class abilities, enemy power and game difficulty. Also loot. Lots of loot.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“StarCrawlers has been in development for over a year and we’re proud of the stability and fun of the current beta experience. The prologue of the main campaign is fully playable alongside infinitely generated side missions. As the beta progress, we will be introducing additional campaign chapters in sequential updates. We’re committed to updating the beta frequently, not only to resolve any issues that crop up for our beta testers but to add lots of new content to explore.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Final pricing has yet to be determined, but it will not be lower than the Early Access price.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“The Early Access community will be vital in helping us to balance the game and to bring a higher degree of polish to the StarCrawlers experience. We’re already building a vibrant community on the Steam forums, and everyone is invited to post feedback, email us directly at contact@starcrawlers.com, or contact us via twitter @juggernaut_news at anytime. We’re crushing bugs and making gameplay tweaks based on user feedback - jump in!”​

As of now, the game is still quite bare-bone, as could be expected from an Early Access game, however, each update has added loads of noticeable improvements and additions to the game, and seems to be shaping up rather well. Procedural map and mission generation, distinct classes and homicidal robots are certainly a welcome addition to the blobbing family. It's also being sold at 25% off the "full" price until March 24th.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are these the ones who came here and pitched their KS a few years ago? Wasn't it originally real-time and we convinced them to go turn-based? I also thought their KS failed.

wesleyclark

Augur
Are these the ones who came here and pitched their KS a few years ago? Wasn't it originally real-time and we convinced them to go turn-based? I also thought their KS failed.

Not sure on the turn based vs real time thing but they did get funded.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Yeah, I remember they were originally LoG like.
Nope:
Strategic RPG style combat
Combat in StarCrawlers has a traditional turn-based RPG style with a time unit action system. Unleash a series of light attacks with speedy, low cost actions, or strike a mighty blow with a heavy, high cost action. Smart choices about which abilities to use and when make the difference between victory and defeat. Take a look at the video below to see combat in action.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125859261/starcrawlers

and

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-now-on-kickstarter.89850/page-2#post-3161346

(RIP :( )

Angthoron

Arcane
Eeeh, 6 months from release and still in bare-bones state? Hope they're planning hefty patches down the line, or there won't be much replayability. What is there looks cool, tho
There was a world of difference between the first build and the second build, so yeah, I'm pretty sure a lot of meat will be added to the bones in the next 6 months. Right now what the game has is functioning systems that the devs can easily build content on top of/polish. It's bare-bone in the WL2-style beta, you see that it's a work in progress rather than a showpiece like, say, Darkest Dungeon.

Angthoron

Arcane
One side to provide turn-based, and the other the rtwp combat that can be toggled, just like in Arcanum!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I backed it and recall it being turn-based.

One side to provide turn-based, and the other the rtwp combat that can be toggled, just like in Arcanum!

And that turned out so well!
Yeah, it's in Codex's Holy Trinity list because of that!

lol i see what you did there

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think the KS was unclear on which direction they were going with combat but Codex brow-beat them into going turn based. Either than or the forum feedback they solicited came before the KS.

Nevermind, I guess I was thinking of Space Shock, too.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
The Spaceshock guy was on the fence about combat and eventually picked TB. At first it was first person then combat switched to isometric. That caused some confusion that probably hurt his crowdfunding. He's still updating but like the guy says, he isn't allowed to work significantly on the game as he is under contract for another company.

Strangely this is the first I hear of Starcrawlers.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Strangely this is the first I hear of Starcrawlers.
We had two news posts about it (before this one). We have at least one thread running in GRPG. And I name-dropped it in one or two other threads about blobbers.
Are you saying you don't at least follow the codex news?
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom