Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adding npcs & menus from scratch

Luigi531

Barely Literate
What is my problem :

Hello everybody, i'm a junior developper but with all due modesty i would say that i'm good ! i've been developing for two years now (alongside with my studies) and started with web development but i quickly got myself
into the marvelous world of game development (even if i'm far away of it if you look my degree's program) and i wanted to mod DS:R (Dark Souls : Remastered) to challenge myself. I'll summerize my mod's goal and content :

"My mod is greatly inspired by Elden Ring's level redistribution system, as i would like to implement that feature into DS:R and with that goal to add a series of quests that the player shall follow to unlock the feature."

Then i started to search the internet looking for the modding tools existing for DS:R, and i did find some awesome and useful softwares as DSMap Studio, Yabber and FLVR.

Actual Modding Tools Problems :

All the afore mentionned tools are a great way to do some reverse engeneering but there's no feature in them to actually add files, packages and features in the game. As i do believe it is possible, i lack experience to do it blindly ! Without mentioning that DS:R is actually coded in C++ frm what i've looked and researched, i'm quite afraid of memory losses and even if i'm quite confident with my C++ coding abilities i'm not so much anymore when we speak about an unknown work environment. Note that i understand that those tools are made for everyone to use, as it's UX is clearly made for anyone that as basic machinery logic and knowledge. It just doesn't satisfy me for my project.

What help am i seeking :

If somebody as already done something similar in that game or another, or knows some mod tools i havn't find yet, i would be delighted to receive any piece of advice ! I'm in fact thinking of coding my npcs and menu in my IDE using reverse engeneering for dependencies and compatibility and bruteforcly adding those codes in the required game file but before i do anything i'll wait for some advices. Thank you for anybody that did read through my whole post and i thank already everyone that will respond and/or help me !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom