Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

'Adventures' in Diablo 3

AzraelCC

Scholar
From www.sclegacy.com:

ChaosSmurf said:
There is also a focus on maintaining the random aspect of the original Diablo games. This includes, in addition to random loot, dungeons and monsters, a new feature called "Adventures". This is a system in which the developers have managed, via a clever piece of programming wizardry, to create completely random scripted events within a game world. For instance, were you passing through a forest, you may happen upon a clearing where evil cultists had begun to summon particularly deadly foes. This wandering, and thus finding of these random events, encounters and delicious loot, will be assisted by an "opt-in" style of storyline, where a player can avoid or participate in the storyline as much as he wishes.

Sounds good.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Sounds great in theory. I'd completely dismiss this if it came out of most devs, but maybe Blizzard can pull it off.

Binary

Liturgist
I think the random quests in Diablo 1 were nice. For example, some games you had to kill The Butcher, others you didn't.

If we're back to something similar, I'm happy.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Hopefully this gets done right. If every 'adventure' is a 2 minute lootbag monster hunt it'll be no different from uniques in D2, and if they have too many of them with too little variety, the voice acting (Which is mandatory of course, /puke) will be a real mood killer. Hearing Zombies are rising from the graveyard! Help us!' 2 or 3 times per character will get old just as easily as mudcrabs.

I hope they put in some static uniques into singleplayer mode again. Getting Arkaine's Valor or the Guardian spell in Diablo was always so cool to me. D2 really disappointed me with the temporary uniques schtick.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Binary said:
I think the random quests in Diablo 1 were nice. For example, some games you had to kill The Butcher, others you didn't.

These aren't exactly quests, tho, these are just random happenings on your way through the game. And I do believe they are completely randomised, rather than a bunch of premade ones that are selected to on a playthrough.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
DamnedRegistrations said:
Hearing Zombies are rising from the graveyard! Help us!' 2 or 3 times per character will get old just as easily as mudcrabs.

This reminded me of the polish version of Warcraft 3, and the first mission in the undead campaign, when peasants who'd see you approach would run away uh... saying "Help, the undead are back" with such passion it could be replaced "oh, that's bad *shrug* ". Always made me laugh.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Binary said:

you ALWAYS had to kill the butcher (actually, you could avoid him and never fight him, but you still got the quest), it wasnt optional, it was the introduction quest, optional quests were king leoric, the mad "clan" smith quest, the poisoned water quest, and something about a mad wizard in the dungeons, there were very very few but yeah i loved them a lot more than diablo2's fixed quests that force you to follow the same damn path every game

Kz3r0

Arcane
I prefer quests available only to certain type of charachters instead of some random unimaginative stuff, by the way I get all of the quests but poisoned water in my first play of Diablo.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Sounds sort of like the random happening in the Genesis Shadowrun. Which is neat.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Random encounters/Class specific quests you say?
Guess Boyarsky works his ass off to bring us Diablout 3.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Skyway, you're bending the definition of RPG as much as those kids who say that the genre means playing a role.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I didn't say it is a RPG or that it will become one mind you. I'm just pointing at where Boyarsky's influence is apparently shifted it a bit.

Callaxes

Arbiter
I don't think it's Leo's influence, Blizzard just wants to have quality single player and multiplayer games in one box. Why does Starcraft 2 have point & click adventure game incorporated in its storyline? More randomized content is just more of Diablo, not more of Boyarsky.

Also anyone who says that D3 is shaping up to be more like Fallout the Fallout 3 goes on my ignore list.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I can say that D3 will be more RPG than FO3. Oh noez ignore list. Anyway apart from you taking me too literally...

It is definitely a Leo's influence. He is one of the main designers there and iirc he is also responsible for dialogues and quests as well (apart from world or whatever). So I think he is also keeping Diablo more intelligent than it could've been otherwise.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
But, but, but.. that's spitting on the Diablo legacy! OH NOES!!!

Chefe

Erudite
NOT CALLAXES' IGNORE LIST!!!!

In terms of RPG, D3 is shaping up to be one more than F3. Oh, how the times have changed.

Anyways, like Franco said, if anyone except Blizzard was saying this I'd call BS. I might even be able to look past the warcraft style graphics.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
But, but, but.. that's spitting on the Diablo legacy! OH NOES!!!
Actually making Diablo something more than just a multiplayer hack'n'slash wouldn't hurt.
There is nothing bad in making the game more intelligent while keeping the same dynamic gameplay. Especially today - when everyone dumb down their games - Blizz actually tries to make their Diablo more intelligent. Like giving NPCs actual dialogues and characters and working more on storyline according to Leo.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Leo as lead designer was the best thing that could ever happen to Diablo 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom