Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Centauri - Medium for a Story

Helton

Arcane
Alpha Centauri has great mechanics. Social Engineering. Terraforming off the chain. I've continued games long after I'd won just terraforming, you can really do some incredible stuff. Unit design. Interface is exceptional. Ambience is pretty good. Just every fucking thing about it, really, such a great game. I got the expansion recently so I've been playing a bit.

What I notice, though, is that none of this is actually what I consider to be the strongest part of the game. It excels beyond most TBS's in almost every way, sure, but I just really dig the story.

I've not even read the novelesque background stories and what not, I'm talking just the huge wealth of quotes, movies, event-pop-ups, ect. which really get you inside of these character's heads. I think its an amazing, epic, story which would be hard to tell in any other medium. A story which spans a thousand years and dozens of different perspectives. A story about generation-long wars, intrigue, exploration, and human ascension. But its a story with so much down time it would be smothered by the pace of even the slowest mediums.

But since its a game, that down time isn't an issue at all because that's what your moment-to-moment activities represent.

I think Alpha Centauri is a model for game narratives. This is the type of story which not only travels well in our medium but could not be told as well, or even at all, in another.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, I've noticed it as well, but I lack eloquence to put it into words. Well done.
Btw, that is an other difference between other 'Civs' and AC, and yet an other in favour of AC.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I read two novellas I found online some years ago. called Alpha Centauri - Journey and Arrival. They're official. They tell the story of the Faction leaders as the Unity arrives at the planet (Journey), as well as shortly afterwards (Arrival). From what I remembered, Morgan was a stowaway who bribed himself onboard, Santiago died before ever reaching the planet, Zakharov is a total dick and Chairman Yang is Yoda.

The second novella even features the faction leaders from the Alien Crossfire expansion.

Unkillable Cat said:
I read two novellas I found online some years ago. called Alpha Centauri - Journey and Arrival. They're official. They tell the story of the Faction leaders as the Unity arrives at the planet (Journey), as well as shortly afterwards (Arrival). From what I remembered, Morgan was a stowaway who bribed himself onboard, Santiago died before ever reaching the planet, Zakharov is a total dick and Chairman Yang is Yoda.

The second novella even features the faction leaders from the Alien Crossfire expansion.
So... utter shit then.

puke

Novice
yeah, i tried to slog through the graphic novel but lost interest before i got more than a couple pages in. the original arrival story was okay, but really i didnt think any of it held a candle to the non-naritive story that unfolds through the gameplay.

even in strategy games, my favorite ones incorporate interactive story telling. wither they are complex and open ended to let you conjur your own story from events in the game, or wither bits of story are laced through the game like in SMAC or MOO or something, or wither the games are linear stories like war/starcraft

oldschool

Scholar
puke said:
the original arrival story was okay, but really i didnt think any of it held a candle to the non-naritive story that unfolds through the gameplay.
+1. I think that was the intent. Just to set up the backstory for the game.

Also:
Unkillable Cat said:
Santiago died before ever reaching the planet,
The story implies that she and her followers will take over the pod that contained Lal's wife. Unless I missed something in my speed-read. It wouldn't make much sense for her to die, since she is one of the faction leaders.

Helton

Arcane
puke said:
the original arrival story was okay, but really i didnt think any of it held a candle to the non-naritive story that unfolds through the gameplay.

Exactly what I'm talking about!

L'ennui

Magister
I read Journey because AC's setting kicks much butt. Novella kicked much butt. Read it if you want to get a glimpse of what's going on in every faction leader's head.

Carceri

Arcane
Frank Herbert's Pandora trilogy was one of the inspiration sources for some Alpha Centauri concepts. One hell of a trilogy, really, you might want to check it up.

puke

Novice
Carceri said:
Frank Herbert's Pandora trilogy was one of the inspiration sources for some Alpha Centauri concepts. One hell of a trilogy, really, you might want to check it up.

a bit off topic, but it vaguely reminds me of "pushing ice" by Alastair Reynolds. a deep space mining and research ship is forced to become a colony, and it goes into how factions develop and the personal relationships between faction leaders and power figures.

i really enjoyed it.

edit: also, that wasnt the only Herbert book that influenced SMAC. "hellstrom's hive", anyone? i think a quote from it even made it into the research audio clips, about the final duty of citizens being to return to the vats.

Helton

Arcane
"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the Tanks, and become one with all of the people."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom