Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alternativa

Seolas

Liturgist
This cyberpunk adventure game is finally out and looks like one of the better made p'n'c adventures of late. Still waiting for some reviews but with this out and Gray Matter almost here, some promising adventure titles are arriving.

BTW, it is 10% off on Steam right now but I'm still waiting for a review or two.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33990/

ss_4a017a0ec287d0c7528b1e9cad55fa17d40d85bb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_17858f57eb2ca122abb8b09a2bdbcf652ff06961.1920x1080.jpg

ss_5783499238c7d20c24737eb7cc90b8927552f9dc.1920x1080.jpg

ss_e75ade70e476d9c8f6bf18476fd9ba61fc54224d.1920x1080.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't know about the actual content, but frankly it looks like crap both in actual graphics and in art direction. Also, too bright for a cyberpunk title. If it doesn't have atmosphere, it better have some superb writing,

zeitgeist

Magister
So, has anyone tried this yet? The Adventure Gamers review seems pretty negative, especially considering that they usually overpraise anything that's even remotely adventure-like.

Jaesun said:
It's fucking shit. Do not pay any money for this.
I noticed this thread the other day and thought I'd translate a few excerpts from Czech reviews but was ultimately too lazy to do it. Then Jaesun bought the game on Steam. I could have prevented it. Oh, the guilt.

Czech reviewer said:
[...] I was originally [...] very much looking forward to Alternativa, because I like Czech adventure games, especially if they're serious in nature. [...] The protagonist solves banal problems [with] solutions that while still (barely) logical would more accurately be labelled as naive. Do you feel like joining a super-secret anti-government resistance movement? No problem, all you need to do is procure batteries that the first drunkard you come across needs for his radio. [...] The puzzles are unimaginative and clichéd, making it hard to get stuck at all even on the harder of the two difficulty levels. [...] The fast and easy progress might not have been a bad thing if the game made you look forward to what happens next. That is however not the case. The plot is tired, characters black and white, dialogues contrived. The creators apparently never came across a cliché they did not like [...] The worst let-down is the story's climax, or, to be more precise, its complete absence. [...] There are no answers to even the most important questions and the odds of a sequel are extremely low. [...] I honestly cannot recommend this game to anyone.
Suchy said:
Do they speak in Czech with English subs?
I totally want a cyberpunk in Czech.
Czech reviewer said:
There is no Czech audio track, only subtitles [...] that have been (paradoxically) translated from English.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Topher said:
What makes it so bad?

Besides what Marquess Cornwallis quoted, here is what made me ragequit:

After playing for a while, I acquired a Citizen Pass (that allows you to visit a certain part of the game) and also a Employee Badge to a certain company.

So I immediately head straight to the company, but the game will not even allow me to enter. Instead I am given the following line, "I have no reason to hang around, so I'll keep my distance". What in the fuck does that mean?

Fuck, anyways so I look around at a previous screen and see there is an NPC. In order to actually enter the company building I have to (your character is named Richard):

Approach the Work Assignment Office window and talk to the Civil Servant.

Richard will ask to be assigned as an Endora employee, but, no matter what reasoning he uses, he will be told that there Endora is not hiring at the moment. [This is the point where it's possible to lose the game by giving a wrong explanation to why Richard still has a personal card even though he was fired.] During the conversation with the guy Richard will notice that he doesn't speak well of Theolex.

Examine a Calling Card on the Civil Sevant's table to read the guy's name: Roman Pitra.

Now check the Theolex information display. Richard thinks that the Civic Servant might have spoke strangely about Theolex in connection with a recent mass layoff. Richard examines the list of recently fired personnel carefully. He notices a card number on that list which doesn't look like a Slum number. He also notices that the layoff is only effective tomorrow. [This is a good example of extraordinary detective work which would leave even Sherlock Holmes surprised. It seems completely implausible that Richard could deduct something from a list of personal card numbers and connect it to the guy working at the office.]

Talk to Civil Servant. Richard asks the guy about his experience with Theolex, complaining that he had a bad experience with the company himself, that he was falsely accused. Civil Servant reveals that his son is in the same situation right now and that his situation is very unclear at the moment. The guy offers Richard to get a job for Endora in exhcnage for erasing information on his son from the Theolex database. [Civil Servant doesn't say what the accusation against his son is, still, Richard writes in personal notes on his PDA that he must erase information on clerk son's theft. There was no mentioning of theft whatsoever.] [Also, that information Richard was able magically to dig up - about the guy being fired the next day from Theolex... How was he able to connect that person to clerk is beyond me.]

:PicardFacepalm:

It basically suffers from really bad Engrish and shit adventure game design.

The ambient music was pretty good though.

Hegel

Arcane
Only Westwood's Blade Runner holds the right to be called cyberpunk adventure game.

BR-SplashSM.JPG

3413-blade2.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's got the original actors voice overs too. Though Rachel is a little robotic (derp).

Wolfus

Arcane
It is possible to set other resolution than 1024*768??? I like this game otherwise... Voices are english-only I think, but I changed subtitles to czech via parameter -lang:cz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom