Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An CRPG focusing on the starting point

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
I'm convinced something like this has been done before in the game industry althought I haven't played it, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

I was thinking that there should be an CRPG which during the Character Custumization allows you to choose your starting point, you can choose to start the game in a different place, not just a Vault, Mortaury or on the IFS zephyr.

Although this doesn't sound too important, the game should also add a very strict time limit in which you have to complete the frst part of the Main Quest, after this, you are allowed to explore, do sub-quest or just level up on random occasions, but only AFTER you've completed the first objective which requires you to reach a point in the center of the map in a very limited time, the starting zones are layed arround the center and can decide the nature of your journey to the objective and wheter or not you will reach it on time.

Let's add a setting. Say... you are an average Joe who's been bothered by a disturbing dream a few weeks ago in which you saw a poor girl being raped and killed by a serial killer, you know the girl, you know the killer and you know the exact date in which the killing will happen - 24th December, one day before X-mass - that's means, ummmm... you have just 10 days to travel about 2000 miles and save the poor girl.

At this point timing is esential, nothing matters more then speed, except for... your starting place. You can either choose to start on a carrot farm in the Western USA, you can choose to be a lawyer in New York, you can choose to start in Las Vegas or Dallas, etc.

Now each zone is ballance so that each road is equaly difficult, but it also offers different challanges. Some roads might be longer, but with less challenges, while other might be short, but filled with danger. Some might have alot of diplomatic oportunities suttaible for diplomatic character while others might be filled with combat suitable for warriors, like murder scenes or secret pagan areas where you start halucinating monsters inspired by urban-miths or biblical descriptiuons.

In the end you need to reach your destination and the main deciding factor on your success is where you start in comparison to the statistics you've choosed (if you have some science skills, there would be places to start where you gain more scientific challenges then combat or diplomatic ones, like how to make a 70 year old car work again).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are some games where you choose your starting position, the only one I remember being Sacred now [but there it depends on which character you choose: gladiator starts in arena, seraphim in temple etc].

The time limit also has been done before, for example in Daggerfall. Sometimes you get time limits on the mainquest, sometimes you have as much time as you want.

The time limits for DF and Fallout weren't too restrictive (like WOW! 5 months of water supply, I realy need to hurry up!). I mean something along the lines that will keep you on the edge of the monitor planing which road to take and how to get there in order to save every hour you have[/b], because it might mean the difference of success and failure.

Edit: has for Sacred, I didn't play, but I don't think the starting place was essential for the player's success. I was thinking an CRPG where choosing the starting location is even more important then choosing you major skills or attributes

Kraszu

Prophet
Something like that is in many games like in sr but for smaller scale (like you want to got from one point to other), mq and different starting location could be good in game similar to sr. It could be done in just a side quest also (you can be teleported for example to other cities that have mage guild)

"Now each zone is ballance so that each road is equaly difficult, but it also offers different challanges. Some roads might be longer, but with less challenges, while other might be short, but filled with danger. Some might have alot of diplomatic oportunities suttaible for diplomatic character while others might be filled with combat suitable for warriors, like murder scenes or secret pagan areas where you start halucinating monsters inspired by urban-miths or biblical descriptiuons. "

Game like that would use difficulty levels (easier = more time, two levels would be enough I guess) each location should be finish able whit every type of character but some could have better time. Then it would not be frustrating at first try-error tries, and still be challenging even for character that would be build good for specific zone. Also game then would allow you to complete it whit character that struggle because he is in wrong place for him. Game could have point system that gives more point for using wrong character and still finishing game.

LCJr.

Erudite
The 1st part on different characters and different characters I like. If you haven't try the demo for Vogel's Nethergate. You're given the choice between having a Roman party or a Celtic party. Even though the main plot stays the same each group is working towards opposite goals and has it's own advantages and disadvantages. The Romans have good equipment and training but weak magic. The Celts have poor equipment and training but lots of magic. The Romans start in their fort and the Celts start in their village. Definately adds to the replay factor. One of his better games and to date no sequels although a rework may be on the way.

The 2nd part on real time limits probably won't appeal to lot of people. Look at the number of people that whined about Fallouts time limit on the waterchip which was what 150 days? Plus another 90(?) if you went to the water merchants.

LCJr. said:
The 2nd part on real time limits probably won't appeal to lot of people. Look at the number of people that whined about Fallouts time limit on the waterchip which was what 150 days? Plus another 90(?) if you went to the water merchants.

Yes, but that's because Fallout offered a rich and detailed world for the player to explore, so most of the time, players wouldn't hurry up to find the water chip and spend time building up their stats.

I'm proposing a game world that at the first part doesn't give you anything interesting to explore and only focuses on reaching the destination on time (how you want to finish it is up to you, jus tbe sure to make it on time). After that there is no time limit and you can explore and fool arround all you want.

elander_

Arbiter
Why do you need the time limit for? Daggerfall could have worked very well with this scheme. But since you are new to the place (Illiac Bay) you are free to make your own life anyway you like.

If the player was starting in an already established place (a Garrett like character), they could have used the biography generator to select your starting place, affiliations, reputation and also starting quests.

Poor guy, thief, warrior, mage aprentice: Starts on a big city, knows some fences or is affiliated to a local magic guild.

Rich guy, nobe knight, mage: Starts in a big city but has a noble house and some social rights and reputation.

Barbarian, scout, hunter: starts in an isolated place near the wilderness or hunting grounds. Theres a nearby town where to trade goods. Is not accepted and is even mocked in big cities for his looks and way of talking. Savage talk trait, it's fun and exotic if the player has high charisma, but it's even more annoying if ch is low.

Witch: Starts on a witch camp and follows witch culture. It's persecuted by Knights and local people. The society puts woman in a second place besides man in the social hierarchy of Daggerfall and witches defy it. Besides they summon Daedra which is forbiden. As a witch you would be able to use these abilities exclusively.

aries202

Erudite
In Dragon Age, your character has at least two different backgrounds to choose from when starting the game --- for each race. (I think or maybe it was for each class ??)

Anyway, say you're a dwarf nobleman. You then would start out in Dwarf City (or whatever the name of such a city actually is ;) ).

From there you'd venture out in the wild, after doing certain speficic tasks etc. in this city.
And then, people from the past will come after you ---- with a vengeance.

If Bioware can make this, this actually sounds a bit --- fun ? maybe ?

jefklak

Scholar
and everybody forgets Temple of the Elemental Evil
depending on your party alignment there's a different starting location
(wow, for 2minutes of the whole game... :roll: )

Best example - play this:

nox.jpg

Kraszu

Prophet
Nox have different starting location but that is hardly op point, Nox is linear game and each character have specific starting location. He wants a game where choosing specific character type to a specific place is part of the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom