Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An idea I had...

Severian Silk

Basically a Flash-based cross between X-COM and MyBrute.

You control a squad of soldiers ala X-COM or JA2, and battle against human opponents ala Laser Squad Nemesis or Incubation.

However, advancement and "leveling up" is more similar to MyBrute. Three battles a day and wins = more XP than losses. The kicker: You also have no control over how you advance when you level up.

You start out with one unit at level 0. When you level up maybe you gain an extra unit. Maybe your existing unit gains a better weapon or an increase in skills. There's no knowing, and you have to live with what you get.

Some balancing is needed, as multiple units are usually better than one or a few elite units. Also, giving players control of units during combat may produce other side-effects when compared to MyBrute...

Could be in a fantasy setting instead of sci-fi.

Big Nose George

Educated
Sure, why not. You do the coding?
I also have lots of ideas nobody cares about no matter how good they are. =)

spectre

Arcane
An idea is nothing, unelss you have the chutzpah to coax a bunch of drones to do the dirty work.

Try harder.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If player has no control, how do you organize games? It's quiet possible that when Player A logs in, there are not opponent for him/her present. That's the beaty of MyBrute, since it's both simple and quick.

Severian Silk

spectre said:
An idea is nothing, unelss you have the chutzpah to coax a bunch of drones to do the dirty work.

Try harder.
I wouldn't mind doing the scripting. I found a tutorial that would get me up and running pretty quickly (network code notwithstanding). Art is also not a big problem, as I already have sizable library of sprites and can make more pretty quickly.

What I am lacking though is a copy of Flash. I looked at Haxe and Neko, but I would have to translate the tutorial, which is not the best way of learning a language.

GarfunkeL said:
If player has no control, how do you organize games? It's quiet possible that when Player A logs in, there are not opponent for him/her present. That's the beaty of MyBrute, since it's both simple and quick.
Yup. That's the biggest flaw AFAIK. Also, what if a player up and decides to quit? Sure, it would count as an automatic win for the other player, but it's no longer fun.

You could try Adobe Flex. Its developed by Adobe as a freeware, open source alternative to Flash. My understanding is that it uses a combination of an XML/HTML-like language with ActionScript, and compiles to the file format used by the Flash Player. Flex is supposed to be oriented more for programmers, so that may present a problem if you have little experience. I've only taken a couple brief glances at it, so I can't really give much of an informed opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom