Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An interesting concept for a crpg- AND ITS OPEN SOURCE

Bluegrazz

Novice
Well, I have learned a ton of great information from you guys and have found this site to be a virtual treasure trove. Glad to have finally found something to contribute.
This is an open source game I came across that aims to bring the feel of pen and paper gaming to a crpg. It had the potential (I say potential because the user created content and scripting engine provides alot of possibility in the hands of creative individuals) to be extremely deep and provide a true RP experience.
It has TURNED BASED and semi strategical combat. Lots of character options. Looks promising.
The graphix pretty much suck so if you are a graphix whore this probably isnt your thing. It kinda reminds me of a graphical rougelike in a way, but I only started playing today so I cannot give a informed opinion. Just decided to shut the game down and let you guys check it out as well. Looks good. :lol:

http://runesword.sourceforge.net/

check it out, its a small download and might be a deep game.

Here you go, buddy.

eba44j.gif

LCJr.

Erudite
@Bluegrazz Glad you found it but it is in the indie RPG thread already. Actually if you do a search you'll find topics going back as far as 2003.

As for the rest of you I think you need to look up what the term opensource means. You might also want to check and see if a product is being sold before labeling someone an advertiser too.

Crosscut Games released the game and the sourcecode into the public domain back in 2004 as was reported here on the Codex.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... =runesword
Fucking noobs the lot of ya.

LCJr. said:
As for the rest of you I think you need to look up what the term opensource means. You might also want to check and see if a product is being sold before labeling someone an advertiser too.
Advertising doesn't just mean you're trying to get money. Advertisers can just be getting people to try a game, even if it is free.

SkeleTony

Augur
The work being done on the source by Titi and others is pretty phenomenal. Almost comparable to the JA2 1.13 mod work.

I still have issues with the wonky game system/mechanics but it is at least fully feasible now to create an entirely new RPG by messing around with the built in editor functions and scripting stuff they have added, even without doing any coding.

But I am a lazy bastard so I am waiting for someone to come out with a non-Eternia default setting with more generic systems for magic and such.

LCJr. said:
Is that the best excuse you can come up with?
Yes. Plus what tips me off is the "graphix whore" comment, someone else trying to advertise before said the exact same line.

burrie

Scholar
Why yes, that is such raw and incriminating evidence. Only advertisers have been using that term on the Codex.

burrie said:
Why yes, that is such raw and incriminating evidence. Only advertisers have been using that term on the Codex.
Well they always say "if you're a graphix whore, you probably won't like this." Who the hell would need to say that at an RPG forum? Who gives a damn about graphics? But fine, fuck me, I called him an advertiser rather than someone shelling some random game he played for 5 seconds.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
muds_animal_friend said:
sportforredneck said:
Who gives a damn about graphics?
All those people who bitch about the graphics every time there's a topic on Spiderweb games?

But... but...
Spiderweb graphics are ugly!

Even games from the late 1980's look better.

mondblut

Arcane
This game is quite old, I remember playing it like in 2000 or something. It was pretty decent too, but quite unpolished. Didn't seem to have any beginning nor end, just a bunch of small adventures/dungeons scattered over the world map.

mondblut

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
But... but...
Spiderweb graphics are ugly!

Even games from the late 1980's look better.

Exile series were excellent-looking for topdown games.

But bad isometry is bad.

obediah

Erudite
This isn't fucking teacher of the month, wedding registry details or some other stupid bullshit telephone game.

If you find or make a crpg, this is a fine place to post information about it. Just don't spam us or start trolling, you'll end up with a few hundred preteen stalker fanbois hanging on your every post.

Bluegrazz

Novice
I am so not an advertiser, lol. You can look at my previous posts and see thyat I am just new to crpgs and thought I would share a game I came across.
I am in no way affiliated in any way to any game and was just trying to be helpful. Didnt know it had been posted before.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Fez said:
This game is already in the game database here. It's actually not a bad game. You might like it. It's free to downloadanyway (~21MB).
When I read that post, I was convinced those two links were gonna be to goatse and tubgirl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom