Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANNO: Mutationem - sidescrolling action adventure with RPG mechanics

Modron

Arcane
https://anno-m.com

This comes out in a few hours thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread.

About This Game

Welcome to the neon-covered, 2D-meets-3D Cyberpunk world of ANNO: Mutationem. In this Action-Adventure game with RPG elements you become Ann: a highly-skilled combat-trained lone wolf on a personal mission in the giant Metropolis, full of sinister mega-corporations, mysterious fringe groups and creatures more bizarre than words can express.

跑图en.gif

Explore and discover
This is a world full of surprises waiting for you to find out! While going thru the main story you can chat with a Cyborg corgi, take on a part-time bartender job, hunt down vicious criminals reveal the true face of a trending V-streamer! By exploring diverse locations such as neon Noctis Town, an off-shore cargo ship and huge underground structures, players are free to go as they please and act as they want.

换装+夜店en.gif

Showing new perspective
Unique 2D-to-3D gameplay, seamless switching between 2D Action n' Platforming and 3D Exploration to interact with the world and its inhabitants. Let's dive into pixel gaming from another perspective!

战斗en.gif

Ann kicks Ass
Ann will slash, shoot, combo, grenade-throw & ground-pound her way through hordes of enemies and huge bosses. From great swords to double blades, from pistols to rocket launchers and uppercuts, time to become the one-girl army you always knew you had in you.

剧情4en.gif

Try to finish the jigsaw
A grand story, befitting a rich and dark cyberpunk décor, featuring our main hero Ann Flores and her trusty hyper hacker side-kick Ayane on a personal mission to find out where her missing brother has gone to. Little do the two know just what they will unravel…

英文养成新en.gif

Please arm yourself to teeth
Collect, buy or craft items & upgrade Ann's stats, skills and gear. Use chips to modify any kind of weapon you find. Equip Ann and make her combat-ready for all enemies (both humanoid and not…) that are about to head her way.

Last edited by a moderator:

toughasnails

I was expecting some kind of ANNO series spin-off, instead all I can see is more anime garbage.
Character designs suffer from some coomer pandering, yeah, but the game seems interesting. The way it mixes 2D pixel art and 3D reminds me of The Last Night, the infamous vaporware.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Anything non-western that looks aesthetically pleasing should by default be placed in the JRPG forum.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wow, this game rocks. Could benefit from allowing jumping outside combat, aside from that, really impressive. Really happy I gave it a try. A lot of work has been put into it.
I'm less than an hour in, will be enjoying it over the next few weeks.

Trithne

Erudite
So is this actually any good? Last night I saw reviews were Mixed, now they're Mostly Positive, but what is the Kodex Kritical Konsensus?

Why doesn't this shit have a demo?

Modron

Arcane
So is this actually any good? Last night I saw reviews were Mixed, now they're Mostly Positive, but what is the Kodex Kritical Konsensus?

It did actually have demos for various steam next fests over the last year but yeah no permanently available one.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I'm undecided atm: mouse support is non existent, combat is janky, bosses have hp-bloat but ... the atmosphere is great.

I will probably play a little bit more but later.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished it. Took me like 10 hours and I missed one side mission because of some bugs.

Anyway the game is a missed opportunity. The visual design is top-notch and the main reason why I played the game. It's unique and it has some charm associated with older games. I dig it.

Combat is mediocre but acceptable ... One good thing about the game is that each unlocked combo or weapon upgrade brought something new to the battlefield. Nice attention to details.

However the story is complete garbage. The devs tried to implement an onion plot where each layer reveals a bigger mystery. The problem is that there is no interesting mystery, just retarded info dumps. Awful.

Also they tried to do a edgy ending which basically killed any goodwill towards the game. I don't see someone enjoying the finale but at least the game is woke free.

I cannot recommend for more than 5 bucks.

----------------------------------------

the map implementation is good
10137DA953C9C14D01478739615991F01B9BCF58

jungle biome
0D8D665775F3C76C5B078E61C295C7D420F19976

the atmosphere is great at certain moments
2ECF64C4A30A04F1904036B4235F6CBC4CD9571B

fishing
E2C131DE8F1B150A6A1A58CF3C0C6F3530ADF0B3

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I find some of the criticisms leveled at the game recently on Shteam to be mostly unfair and in, many cases, just plain wrong.
The thing I do agree with, though, is that the story could have been much better in the way it's told. It tries to create and portray some complex interconnected plots, but there are important writing elements missing, such as the prose needed for the undertaking of the task, as well as deep characters and related material available for reading/perusing. While the game is visually very busy, with a ton of posters, neon signs and notices around, very few of them tie into the narrative.
There have been complaints about the protagonist, that she's too 'bland'. Absolute nonsense. Ann has a motive to drive the story forward, and that's all a character controlled by the player needs to do. Ann actually has more going for her than 90% of RPG protagonists. I wonder if the same people whined about COMMANDER SHEPARD'S personality. The problem in ANNO lies more with the supporting characters, who, once again, don't pull their narrative weight.
The most annoying thing for me thus far are the typos and ESL English translation, which often does not even match the voiceovers, but this is very common with Chinese games, as it seems. Still, hasn't stopped me from enjoying it.

I still haven't played too much of it, but I'm still able to appreciate the effort for what it is. Hitting things is fun, being immersed in a proper cyberpunk setting with a cute heroine whose outfits you can change is nice. Oh, and the music rocks.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Out of curiosity, I went and looked at the other game reviews of a gaymer who rated this negatively, only to find this shit:

upload_2022-3-24_22-51-22.png

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The visual design is top-notch and the main reason why I played the game

Everything works together nicely, and the sprites are looking great. What was visible, is that the animation was sometimes poor.Soundtrack is also great, especially the slower tracks from the main hubs.

The boss fights were hit and miss, plus the combat system could use some more polishing. I've played with gamepad, and that is the only option for the most smooth experience. The story at the beginning was good, but after some point and events I just went along and didn't question all the problems that were visible with them. I would like to see more interesting side characters and more fleshed out optional missions. Plus being more on the surface, and doing less crawling through laboratories. People are complaining about the text, which isn't matching the voice acting. I've played with japanese voices and english subtitles, which really fits the game. There is a lot of additional lore, which is totally optional, and typos with other errors are visible.

I still would recommend it for lower price, and after the developers will do some practicable polishing.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
New update, about to boot it up:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1368030/view/3215014689181826147

Code:
[1.03.05] Optimization of enemy behavior, bug fixes and various adjustments
New Features
1. DLC weapons will enhance their basic attribute values as they progress.

Bug Fix
1. Optimized English and Japanese text

2. Optimized other languages' text

3. Optimized RAM issues on different platforms

4. Optimized the problem of multiple shots overlap

5. Corrected the problem of game stuck casued by scene collision

6. Optimized the worm's behavior, attacking venom can also cause damage to the boss

7. Optimized the wanderer's behavior 

8. Optimized the worm's long-range and melee forward swing movement

9. Optimized the forward swing of the Stinger Worm

10. Optimized the hangman leader's swing, down smash forward swing length

11. Fixed the problem of two-step jump may cause game issues

12. Optimized the damage caused by the main character's counterattack

13. Optimized the attack alert of some enemy soldiers

14. Fixed some voiceover errors

15. Added the function of unlocking the information bar after finishing the game

16. Fixed the problem of QTE locking target

17. Fixed the problem that some maps are displayed incorrectly

18. Fixed the bug that execution does not cause damage

19. Fixed the timing of some enemies' attack reminders and undefendable reminders

20. Fixed the bug that some monsters' attack and action are inconsistent

21. Optimized the frequency of the main character being knocked away in the battle

22. Adjusted the double blades: wind whirlwind blade can move freely after release

23. Adjusted the attack range of Bounce Counter, now Bounce Counter can attack enemies further away

24. Adjusted the timing of the interruption of the bullet counter, now you can end the action earlier to interrupt other actions

Adjustment of balance
1. Adjusted combat values

2. Adjusted the random value of armor damage rate

It would be nice if they've finally fixed the discrepancies between voice and text, not sure what 'optimized language' is supposed to mean.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1368030/view/3216142491798170750

[1.04] New ending online, new costumes and easy mode added
Dear players,

Thank you all for your recent support and encouragement! During this time, we've received a lot of suggestions and comments from players. All of them are really helpful!

After more than a month of struggle, we have improved the game's experience, difficulty balance and added new costumes, while also adding a more complete ending. Players who have already finished the game can also experience the new ending through the cover of the "On the Eve of an Ending".

Meanwhile, due to time constraints, the translation of some languages and English/Japanese voiceover
are still in progress, we will update them as soon as possible.

1.04 Update
New Features
1. Added new costumes

2. Added Easy Mode

3. Added new ending

Bug Fixed
1. Optimized the checkpoint of Immortal Lizard

2. Fixed the problem of some text out of the box

3. Fixed the problem of missing avatars in some dialogues

4. Fixed the bug of the position of fighting robots in the training ground

5. Fixed the problem of inaccurate guidance.

6. Fixed the problem of misplaced points in the protection of enemy soldiers.

Adjustment of balance
1. Adjusted the speed of synthesizing items

2. Adjusted the behavior logic of some flying machines

3. Adjusted the attack point of some enemy soldiers

4. Adjusted the display of enemy HP

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I finished the game a week or so ago. It ended up being pretty short after all. But, yeah, enjoyable casual experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom