Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good IF/CYOAs recommendations?

Any good IF/CYOAs recommendations?
So far my favourites are the Sorcery series and Infinity series.
I've tried Fallen Hero (it's tumblr dogshit), and I, The Forgotten One and it was pretty mediocre and was more of a novel than an interactive text-based game.
I might try Zombie Exodus, Samurai of Hyuga, Tin Star, and Choice of Robots next, as these are the most commonly recommended, but I was wondering if the codex has any recommendations of their own?

3 others

Scholar
The Impossible Bottle is the only freeware text-only IF game that's made a genuinely positive impression. Very inventive main gimmick, charming story, and a good hint system.

Inkle's 80 Days is also very good. Well worth its reputation.

Modron

Arcane
The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is probably one of the best CYOAs, has a good ratio of player input to text dumping. It has considerably different outcomes and the routes through the game are divergent enough to make you want to replay the game.

As far as IF, I would ask if you plumbed the depths of 1970-1990 IF and graphical IFs like the stuff from Legend Entertainment because modern IF is mostly relegated to Choice of Games and Hosted games stuff which is 98% written for they/them lgtbq oriented types and the occasional VTM/Werewolf game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom