Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any of these more modern adventure games worth playing?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Black Mirror
Culpa Innata
Dark Fall: The Journal
Everlight of Magic and Power
Last Half of Darkness: Shadows of the Servants
The Lost Crown: A Ghost-hunting Adventure
The Moment of Silence
Paradise
Post Mortem
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Scratches
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Still Life
Syberia
Tunguska: Secret Files
A Vampyre Story
The Watchmaker

I'm sure most of them are shit, but I figure at least one of them has to be worth playing.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Post Mortem and Still Life are both good, but you might encounter gamebreaking bugs in PM (at least I did) and some of the absolutely atrocious puzzles in Still Life might make you RAEG!1 Post Mortem is the better one methinks.

Black Mirror is okay-ish.

Scratches is rathergood, apparently. So is Syberia. Can't comment on both of them personally, as I haven't played them.

Erebus

Arcane
Culpa Innata is average. It has some good stuff, such as an interesting and original world, a decent scenario and nice puzzles. However, too much time is spent on useless dialogues, the navigation is awful and plenty of story elements are left with zero conclusion, waiting for a possible sequel. I wrote a more detailed review in this thread : http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24764 .

Syberia's main good point is its wonderful nostalgic atmosphere (well-supported by the visuals and the music). It's yet another game where the final surprise is that the true ending will be in the sequel... I usually feel like hitting with a hammer people who pull out this kind of crap (I'm looking at you, Pirates of the Caribbeans 2 !), but in this case, I was satisfied with the "conclusion" and never felt like playing Syberia 2.

Starwars

Arcane
Culpa Innata is basically what Erebus said. I kinda consider it to be worth playing though, the atmosphere is pretty good.

I quite liked Scratches. Some of the plotline is a bit forced but the atmosphere was tremendous, quite creepy. I really liked the soundtrack as well.

Finally, I liked Vampyre Story as well. Most people will say that it's not nearly as funny as the older adventure games, and I tend to agree. But I'd also say that the difference isn't as great. I mean, geez, does anyone really laugh out loud when playing something like Monkey Island these days? They're funny games, but they're quite a bit overrated in the funny department if you ask me.

However, Vampyre Story is also episodic, so it's only the first episode at the moment. It feels *really* cut off which was extremely disappointing. Might be better to wait until at least the second episode comes out (if it does, haven't heard anything in a long time).

And yep, even though it's not on the list, I'd second Kingstons recommendation of Penumbra if you haven't played it.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I enjoyed Syberia and Culpa Innata.
The only other game on your list that I've played is Vampyre Story... and I didn't like it very much. Most of the jokes were pretty stale. Its vastly inferior to the old Lucasarts games.

Also, "So Blonde" isn't on your list, but its an adventure game that was released last year, and I liked it quite a lot. Really good sense of humor. It reminded me of some of the old LucasArts adventure games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Post Mortem is the best of the ones that I played from your list. Great atmosphere , nice story, some good puzzles and it also gives you a feeling of freedom. Runway is decent. Watchmaker was also decent (if a bit unpolished) up to the point where my old HD failed , IIRC.

I got bored of Culpa Innata , Still life, The Moment of Silence and Scratches, but they may be worth of a try.

I consider Syberia to be a badly written and executed game form a moronic developer. Seriously, all Benoit Sokal does is write childish stories where he tries to blend fantasy with real places and historical events without any actual research or any writing talent. He completes his game by adding myst-like puzzles that don't blend with the environment, or story. He's like Jane Jensen's complete opposite.

I suggest you check the sticky thread and find some good older adventures you haven't played, because the majority of the newer ones is crap.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Played the majority of the more famous older ones (Gabriel Knight ones being my favourites), right now I'm just looking for something shiny and interesting to pass a few hours for a couple of days out of boredom . I haven't played any adventure games in a long time, so I figured it'd be the genre to hit up for a couple of good games.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Post Mortem was the most ambitious, I think. It really tried to be non-linear... I'd recommend playing it despite the bugs. Some very good ideas and great atmosphere.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Tunguska: Secret Files is badbadbad. Mediocre, generic, blaaargh.

The Lost Crown: A Ghost-hunting Adventure I couldn't stand to play for long. The voice-acting is so hideous, and every line is voiced.

Still Life is excellent, though, even if its sequel's pretty lackluster.

Coyote

Arcane
Dark Fall: The Journal is pretty good. It's a Myst-like adventure game (static screens, first person) that takes place in a decrepit old haunted hotel. It's very atmospheric - one of the better horror games around, comparable to Thief 3's Shalebridge Cradle from what I recall - and the graphics and sound are extremely well-done for a small Indie project.

Also, I think you can get a copy for ~$10-15.

Nedrah

Erudite
I greatly enjoyed Runaway: A Road Adventure for it's good sense of humor, decent story and interesting characters and locations. It also received a sequel, Dream of the Turtle, with a third part currently being under development. So, I guess Post Mortem if you're feeling like serious business, Runaway if you'd like some funnies with your adventures. Actually, scratch that, just play both.

Imbecile

Arbiter
PlanHex said:
Dark Matter said:
Which recent adventure games have amazing 2D graphics?
http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=17
http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=559

Ok, so maybe they don't have amazing graphux, but they're pretty fun.

Yeah, I can echo this.

your_face_here_01.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The Black Mirror

No. Played for a bit, got turned off by stupid dialog and terrible voice-acting.

Culpa Innata

No. Yawn.

Complete and utter failure. And full of bugs, even gamebreaking ones.

Post Mortem

Yes, kinda. More ways to solve the puzzles and they're decent. Same for the story. Haven't encountered game breaking bugs, but it was a bug that may look game breaking.

Runaway: A Road Adventure

Yes. Classic-like cartoon adventure. Good puzzles and pretty amusing.

Still Life

Shit, no. Still Life 2 is better but not by much.

Yep, it's good. Second one is crap.

A Vampyre Story

Boring, very boring. And it failed to be amusing, because it tried too hard.

Haven't played the others in your list.
However, a new adventure I'd recommend is The Experiment (or eXperience112). Not a true adventure per se and very easy puzzles, but very good atmosphere and concept, I thought. The story falls apart at the end.

Turok

Erudite
The Black Mirror Really good

1st Gabriel Knight is just awesome.

Play The Dig if you dont play it.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I really enjoyed A Vampire Story,tho I'm not that big of a adventure fan.Most adventure games I've played were the Monkey Island series and the Broken Mirror ones.I generally seek in a adventure game a way of relaxation,from the combination of great graphics and music,and,for me atleast,AVS has both.Some of the views were breathtaking for me,it almost felt like Monkey Island went on a trip to the mountains and woods,and the soundtrack is just great(listen to the one in her bedroom...wow).

Sure,the game aint that funny,and yes,the protagonist can be quite irritating sometimes(same goes for her bat,I guess) but all in all it's a great adventure experience,with easy to digest puzzles and awesome views.And last time I checked,it wasnt episodic,it was just a regular adventure game,with a sequel in the development.It was waaay longer than any S&M episode (and more recently Monkey Island episode too).

All in all this game is sort of a quick fix for gamers:it has decent to funny dialog,great cartoonish grafics,and decent to nice characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom