Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any X-Com fans tried UFO: Alien Invasion?

Silellak

Cipher
Apparently there is an X-Com "inspired" freeware game called UFO: Alien Invasion. I am currently in the middle of downloading it, but I was curious if anyone here had tried it and what their thoughts were if so.

It can be found here:

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Silellak

Cipher
SuicideBunny said:
there's also project xenocide

i tried one of the ai releases from half a year ago or so, and it didn't even start.

So far I'm not really getting that "X-Com feeling" from UFO:AI.

Not really surprising. I have significant doubts a fan project could ever live up to the name, sadly.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Silellak said:
I have significant doubts a fan project could ever live up to the name, sadly.
or commercial project, for that matter.

someone needs to make the love child of silent storm and fully modded ufo:extraterrestrials.

Punck_D

Novice
Alien Invasion sucks big time. The art direction and atmosphere is far away from the original X-Com and they put many features and changes into the game nobody asked even for. Best thing is you can not save in Battlescape, and it won't be implemented in the future, because "it's a design decision". Oh, and it's buggy, but it's forgiven since it is far from finished and open source.

Chork

Scholar
It's decent... but that's about it. Problems include: terrain can't be destroyed, balance is screwy, tons of line-of-sight issues, some poor design decisions.

I can see it being good down the road, but right now it's only worth the download if you really, really want to play an X-COM clone and are sick of playing the real thing for whatever reason.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Here´s another one:

http://ufo.yaa.dk/

What´s wierd is that this one, Xenocide and Alien Invasion all have exacly the same look on planet earth(I mean textures and such). :o

aron searle

Arcane
I thought it was an OK beta, if you bear that in mind it's fine, but yea, it needs more polish.

The latest version fixes the main bugs, mostly it just lacks content, and by that I mean mostly end game content.

The music is suck ass, play a CD.

Personally i think it's a really bad decision not to be able to save during battle, limited saves yes, but battles can be long on certain maps just due to their size.

Soldiers don't gain XP.

And that's it really, it does what it says on the tin. It's ok for a few play throughs and you'll probably like it, but after a few hours you'll probably put it down and not pick it up again.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Punck_D said:
Alien Invasion sucks big time. The art direction and atmosphere is far away from the original X-Com and they put many features and changes into the game nobody asked even for. Best thing is you can not save in Battlescape, and it won't be implemented in the future, because "it's a design decision". Oh, and it's buggy, but it's forgiven since it is far from finished and open source.
You obviously know nothing.

It's not supposed to imitate the atmosphere of X-Com. It's just got the same concept (geo-scape and squad-based tactical battles). Many of the mechanics have also changed (many for the better).

The latest UFO:AI is perfectly playable and worth playing. I got more out of it than any other turn-based squad game, UFO:ET is more polished but is too similar to excome.

Severian Silk

I played one of the early demos a few years ago and enjoyed it. Granted, I only played two missions...

Silellak

Cipher
The loss of destructible environments is a huge blow, I think.

Firing a rocket launcher at a wall and watching it do no damage to the surrouding terrain is a bit depressing. The destructible environments in X-Com weren't just fun and realistic, but added a lot to the strategy of the game.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yep, I remember writing the game off precisely because of that a while back. I still gave the demos/beta a shot, of course, but wasn't overly impressed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom