Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD - first 3D screen

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Unfortunatly it looks good. God damn you.

Maybe next time add some bloom to your screens, VD? It should please gw-s.

PS[Edit]:
Actually there is something wrong. Not really wrong but for me, personally, that blue component of the armour is not the best choice. That's maybe just me, but here is your armour with changed color balance.

But, in overall, it looks fine. From distance its better. Just that I would like somekind of this kind armour color kind.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Some stuff that is used to promote/sell game engines:
Nowadays, pretty stuff sells better than dry mechanics, so it's logical that engines' promotions focus on that.
Hmm, I remember seeing reproductions of some early artists when they figured out perspective laws (bent lines and such) and a lot ot them played with relief.

If character models/barrels and greenery were the reasons for conversion, I would prefer the prior 2d look.
Why?
Well, the first and most obvious concern that there might be not enough time/resources to trow the afterthought pieces in the more complex environment:

True, but development time is always limited ... Some people throw out dialogues and valuable, imo, gameplay elements. I throw out some scenery elements

Secondly, with better graphics it's harder for me to turn on the 'inner vision' to fill in the missing or turn the blind eye to the grating details like shiny armor (or the most recent rusty one).

I'm ok with the 'world view' being a rough approximation as long as the Inventory screen shows me current equipment with stats.

I beg your pardon, I didn't realize the better animations meant _more_ animations as well, and what suprprises me that you find that (for argument sake, I don't know exact proprotion) haiving 2 animated attacks per weapon in 3d is _less_ resource intensive than having same number of animations in 2d.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Kamaz said:
Unfortunatly it looks good. God damn you.
Thanks, Kamaz

PS[Edit]:
Actually there is something wrong. Not really wrong but for me, personally, that blue component of the armour is not the best choice. That's maybe just me, but here is your armour with changed color balance.
It does look good. Thanks again.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ichpokhudezh said:
Secondly, with better graphics it's harder for me to turn on the 'inner vision' to fill in the missing or turn the blind eye to the grating details like shiny armor (or the most recent rusty one).
Good point, actually. I assume you didn't like the rusty armor too. Give me some details.

...haiving 2 animated attacks per weapon in 3d is _less_ resource intensive than having same number of animations in 2d.
I meant the dl size. At that crispy detail level each animation would weigh a few MB. Having 2 attacks doubles ALL attack animations (attack without armor, in light armor, in med armor, in heavy armor, etc). Throw in shields, and you double everything again. Another attack, and the size goes up again.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I assume you didn't like the rusty armor too. Give me some details.
It looks disturbingly similar to the local oxidized metal office art, you may read this as 'very unusual for an object in constant use'. Rust is too bright - as under a spotlight. Midriff and belt area are much better. And for the record, I like the blue version much better - color/brightness balance versus the red liner is much more natural.
I would say, put any of them in reasonable environment and both can be quite agreeable.The bluish hue can be quite fitting under moonlight or for some rare metal. The mega-rusty version (Kamaz's) would be ok right after the armor was looted off an old corpse in some cave.

I'm not against 3d per se, I just happen to think it's harder to pull it off.

Sandelfron

Scholar
ichpokhudezh said:
It looks disturbingly similar to the local oxidized metal office art, you may read this as 'very unusual for an object in constant use'. Rust is too bright - as under a spotlight. Midriff and belt area are much better. And for the record, I like the blue version much better - color/brightness balance versus the red liner is much more natural.
I'm guessing that's just a light mockup since the model is going to be in 3D; the
illumination and hue would vary with the lightsources in the environment anyway.
It would actually be harder to get a good single neutral illumination for 2D sprites.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Don't forget the furniture. People get very angry if there isn't a lot of furniture. [/quote]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom