Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apocalypse

NotAnAlt

Educated
So why is X-COM 3 disowned by fans of the series? Just as good combat, better overland map, all the researchie and training shit still intact. Sure it was half finished, but still a very good game. True sequal aswell, rather than the direct rip that was TFTD.

So whats the codex opinion? Likey or not likey?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's too different from the first X-com, while X-Com 2 is too similiar. I believe some gaming site did a write on up this, finding the sweet spot between similiarity and difference.

It was also incomplete(Transtellar doesn't want to transport my scientist!) and some people hate it because its realtime(eventhough there is turnbase mode). I actually just replayed it recently with the new mods and editing tools not available years ago.

spectre

Arcane
Realtime was clunky. I saw no reason not to play TB.
Actually, the main problem I saw was the difference in art direction. Aliens looked pretty meh (imo) and the colors were too much like candy.

However the straegic part wasn't THAT bad really, main problem was that the atmosphere was no longer there.
I also thought the overmap interface was pretty bad and unintuitive.

MM, any mods you'd recommend?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is a good game, but UFO was near perfect mix - making a sequel for a game like that is very difficult. Just like all the spiritual successors of Masters of Magic have come short, so have later X-Com games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Apocalypse did some things better, but some things much worse. Ground combat with vehicles is out of the question because all it takes is one hit on the road beneath whatever übertank you're using to insta-kill it. On the other hand, aerial combat is loads more fun.

Managing your team is micromanagement hell, and easily the most boring part of the game. But having hybrids and androids in your team can be a godsend...well, at least the androids.

The research tree is not broken like in TFTD, but it's about as retarded. The key element in the research tree is a live alien that's almost impossible to capture without killing it. What's worse, nothing about the alien suggests that it's of any importance whatsoever.

The enemy AI sucks, unless you start raiding human factions. Suddenly then you get half-decent AI opponents.

Panthera

Scholar
I found that this was best played in real-time, at very slow speeds. The destructibility of the terrain has yet to be matched, in my opinion, and watching it destroy itself in real time was thrilling. I liked the strategy mode portion better than the original X-Com's. Swarming with bikes was cool as hell.

NotAnAlt

Educated
Agree with the real time: the game was clearly designed it for it and it plays best that way. I still play tb (dos box fucks up the speed any other way), but a good example rt implemented well.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unkillable Cat said:
The research tree is not broken like in TFTD, but it's about as retarded. The key element in the research tree is a live alien that's almost impossible to capture without killing it. What's worse, nothing about the alien suggests that it's of any importance whatsoever.
What alien, the goo?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mighty Mouse said:
What alien, the goo?

Yeah, the green snotball. Micronoid...something.

Pantera said:
You should be trying to capture every single alien, really.

Easier said than done when it comes to the snotball. IIRC, standard "live specimen" tactics do not work with this thing. It's easier to get live Poppers.

EDIT: Typo.

Panthera

Scholar
They're just immune to stun gas. The grappler works just fine. Give it to a guy with decent psychic protection.

skyway

Educated
The game is shit, graphics shit, sound shit, map shit and so on.

Korgan

Arbiter
barelyliterate.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom