Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum: Slow scrolling

Redshirt #42

Augur
The problem occurs always when I play Arcanum. After some time playing, the scrolling speed becomes extremely slow. Also character movement is gradually reduced while scrolling, but they move normally while I am not scrolling. I tried turning off 3D acceleration, but it did not help. I have the latest Unofficial Arcanum Patch version installed. I tried using the High Resolution Mod also. It did not fix the issue, but the increased distance on screen is helpful, because the only way to move across the map is running near the edge of the screen, pressing the Inventory button twice and running near the edge again. Still it makes playing Arcanum rather unenjoyable. The only alternative is to restart Arcanum every time it happens, but it takes usually about 5-20 minutes, then the slow scrolling starts again. Once it starts it almost never stops, even after hours of playing.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Double Ogre

Scholar
This is a videocard related issue. Add -no3d to your Arcanum shortcut.

Updating your videocard drivers may also help.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Well, adding -no3d didn't help, at least not when running the normal Arcanum shortcut. I tried running it in Safe Mode instead and there was no slowing down, although the game was a little bit slower when I had a lot of buffs on my character and occasionally there were some graphical glitches, usually when changing armor.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Redshirt #42 said:
Well, adding -no3d didn't help, at least not when running the normal Arcanum shortcut. I tried running it in Safe Mode instead and there was no slowing down
It's the same thing, actually, -no3d IS the command line argument for the safe (software acceleration) mode. You use it like this:
C:\Sierra\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe -no3d

Redshirt #42 said:
occasionally there were some graphical glitches, usually when changing armor.
Yes, it's a known problem in the software acceleration mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom