Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum yet again pleasantly surprises me

Texas Red

Whiner
I started a new game with a backround that gives -20 reaction. I did not expect much and I was greatly surprised to notice that every character had his own "negative" dialog written. The game plays completely differently. Some characters can be threatened in to a better reaction, some will start a fight. They will comment on your "inferior" race if they extremely dislike you and you can act as a coward to please them. If you're playing a half-orc you will actually feel as one, instead of getting zero response when choosing drow in NWN 2.

Add to this that you can have totally different dialogs(and journal entries) if you play with a retarded character. Virgil will have totally different voiced dialogs. I urge you to install Arcanum just to try out a dumb character and witness the hilarious response from Virgil. In Shrouded Hills, everyone wanted to use the stupid character, offered him less money, acted absolutely differently etc.

Now compare this to FO 3. You'd expect that years later dialogs would only improve, but no... They don't even have the trademark Fallout dummy dialogs.

Drog or Shota, can you upload the infamous Arcanum "dwarves attacking Tarant" movie? Supposedly, with high intelligence and charisma, you can convince the dwarf leader to declare war on humans, which leaves Tarant desolated and gives a reportedly very cool movie. Only few have seen it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would love to know what the requirements are for convincing the dwarves to declare war. In all my playthroughs of Arcanum, I've never managed it.

I've also never turned Virgil evil, although there is apparently that's possible.

Solohk

Scholar
I'm actually playing Arcanum for the first time right now. I decided to roll a Half Orc who happened to start with 2 Beauty and Charisma. I have also been impressed that this affects my character greatly rather than just missing out on a [Persuade] dialog here and there. Everyone is prejudiced against me. If I'm talking to someone important and don't want to risk fighting them I've got to swallow my pride and kiss their ass.

I've also noticed that it has influenced how I play my character. It makes me feel like an outsider with a chip on my shoulder. It makes me not care about doublecrossing that guy who called me 'half-breed trash' (I love how many opportunities there are to double-cross people by the way). Also, since no one will join me aside from Virgil, it only adds to the feeling.

Even though Dex is king I am still impressed that a stat that is a dump stat in most games, is important in Arcanum.

Truth

Scholar
Yeah it's too bad you can't teach the appreciation of such finer things to people. Beat some sense, maybe...

I'm still mildly amused to find people that say Arcanum is so formulaic "you are teh chosen one cliche, buggy, ugly slow shitz LOLZ"

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Truth said:
I'm still mildly amused to find people that say Arcanum is so formulaic "you are teh chosen one cliche, buggy, ugly slow shitz LOLZ"
I'm equally amused by people who say KotOR2's story and NPCs were worse than KotOR1's...

But really, that almost as bad as Merilinda's PS:T bashing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Lumpy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Apparently it sucks so much because TNO is a predefined character.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... =111&sp=45
Could someone with a NWN2 CD-key talk to her politely?
I am NOT ever going over to shithole like that. Being on GameSpot is taxing enough for my sanity.

I did check if she had her own forums though. Goatse/tubgirl spam would have been golden.

Texas Red

Whiner
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Lumpy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Apparently it sucks so much because TNO is a predefined character.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... =111&sp=45
Could someone with a NWN2 CD-key talk to her politely?
I am NOT ever going over to shithole like that. Being on GameSpot is taxing enough for my sanity.

I did check if she had her own forums though. Goatse/tubgirl spam would have been golden.

I have a hard time imagining Revan as a women. I've seen posts about this before.

Lumpy

Arcane
The Exile too. His past as a tough captain who is willing to sacrifice his own troops sounds more fitting for a man than for a woman.[/lyricsuite]

Murk

Arcane
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take anything that comes out of that womyn seriously.

"I refuse to play a game where i can't choose my gender"

so you never played mario?

watched any cartoons that featured male protagonists? how about movies with male protagonists?

Vaarna_Aarne

Mikayel said:
watched any cartoons that featured male protagonists? how about movies with male protagonists?

Merilinda said:
And I generally don't like movies any more. I find that for me the CRPGs are far more successful form of entertainment than TV, particulary the modding aspect of it.

Merilinda said:
Even in my childhood fantasies, I always created a separate character to 'enter' and 'reinvent' my favorite books or historical events.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Arcanums greatness reveals itself after at least 2 or 3 replays with different characters. Its astonishing how much effort Troika invested to make you really feel that it matters whether you play a beautiful, elegant and silvertongued man or a social outcast half-orc.

Murk

Arcane
So basically instead of wathing any form of art/entertainment she will instead choose to alter it to fit her perspective.

Yes yes, i can see now so clearly.

that woman will die a sad and lonely death

Callaxes

Arbiter
The Exile too. His past as a tough captain who is willing to sacrifice his own troops sounds more fitting for a man than for a woman.[/lyricsuite]

Vaarna_Aarne

Mikayel said:
So basically instead of wathing any form of art/entertainment she will instead choose to alter it to fit her perspective.

Yes yes, i can see now so clearly.

Her horrible Bishop Romance Mod for NWN2 is the most downloaded custom content and has the highest rating... And it's unbelievable shit.

Vaarna_Aarne

JarlFrank said:
Mikayel said:

"I won't marry you if I can't choose your gender, job and appearance."
You don't know the half of it. I've almost finished playing through that piece of shit mod (no pain, no gain style LP)... She has an absurd fixation about Bishop. And pretentious shit.

NWN2_SS_062808_003158.jpg

Helton

Arcane
You guys seem butthurt. I don't think any media is crafted worth a shit if you can't picture yourself in the depicted world and think about how you'd act and what you would try and change. Honestly, I thought that was normal, especially here.

Murk

Arcane
where is that LP thread? or was it never made?

Yeah her content is nothing short of a crap romance novel infused with a retarded half-assed interpretation of feminism

Vaarna_Aarne

Lumpy said:
Post the link to your let's play thread already.
I think I'll just copy/paste it here. I think Yuku boards need an account to view.

EDIT: Scratch that. I'm not up for recreating the whole thing. Here's the link:

http://immateriumforum.yuku.com/topic/626?page=14

Nowhere near as good as the inspiration to start it, Darth Mordechai's Worst of the Worst thread in GFaqs or Locue's FF7 LP.

Murk

Arcane
Helton said:
You guys seem butthurt. I don't think any media is crafted worth a shit if you can't picture yourself in the depicted world and think about how you'd act and what you would try and change. Honestly, I thought that was normal, especially here.

Do you do that in movies that have pre generated characters with not only pre configured gender, personality, but also dialog and actions?

Helton

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Do you do that in movies that have pre generated characters with not only pre configured gender, personality, but also dialog and actions?

Good ones which keep me thinking about them once I'm done watching, yeah. More often with TV shows and books, though, since they are with you for longer periods of time.

But she didn't say she did that with movies, did she? Books and historical events. She doesn't like movies because they aren't interactive. I like movies but I agree completely, they're an inferior form of entertainment.

Vaarna_Aarne

Helton said:
Mikayel said:

Good ones which keep me thinking about them once I'm done watching, yeah. More often with TV shows and books, though, since they are with you for longer periods of time.

But she didn't say she did that with movies, did she? Books and historical events. She doesn't like movies because they aren't interactive. I like movies but I agree completely, they're an inferior form of entertainment.
You just haven't seen enough of her comments. She's batshit insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom