Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArmA2 - putting the 'role' (back) to military sim.

Suchy

Arcane
How are the civilians? Are the any kinds of rpg elements? Is the player able to change his abilities?

There is something really new: with only a few code it is possible to activate the civilian- and wildlife. After that you can find people in villages of Chernaurus, which flew of conflict zones or they do have a daily cycle. They drive, talk to each other or go into their houses at evening.

There is no possibilities to change your abilities. If you collect every Mission the campaign, the “story time” will be something around 2 weeks. So it would not fit to the story if your characters got more muscles etc…But they have different “load outs” for their specific jobs.

How ist he new dialogue system?

With this new feature you are able to get informationes by civilians where the enemy is supposed to be. It will be a kind of answer system you know from adventures.

The dynamic campaign

With the above mentioned communications menu you can also warn people. It is to you if you are strict to the plan and attack the tank in the village, where civilians are. But you can also warn the civilians or abort the mission. Marek told me, that your decision really makes a different ending to the further campaign. As you already know it: Every decision retight its consequences.

Looks like Armed Assault 2 will feature more interesting RPG elements than most of the next-gen "real" RPGs...
http://forum.armedassault.info/index.php?showtopic=2486

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well, more RPG elements are what I actually wanted to see in OFP already. Let's hope it turns out good and not just the usual hogwash (A-Life, Radiant AI).

Fez

Erudite
GlobalExplorer said:
Well, more RPG elements are what I actually wanted to see in OFP already. Let's hope it turns out good and not just the usual hogwash (A-Life, Radiant AI).

Seconding this.

If they can keep the combat as good as OPF too then it should be great.

Suchy

Arcane
From what I've seen in game vids, it's just an upgraded ArmA. And ArmA was upgraded OFP, so the combat should be pretty much the same.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
With the above mentioned communications menu you can also warn people. It is to you if you are strict to the plan and attack the tank in the village, where civilians are. But you can also warn the civilians or abort the mission. Marek told me, that your decision really makes a different ending to the further campaign. As you already know it: Every decision retight its consequences.

Wanna bet that when I warn the civilians of my impending attack on the tank and then shoot them all through the head I'll still get the "good" ending?

Burning Bridges

Despite all it's flaws it's still the only game that at least tries to simulate the virtual battlefield thing and not just rail the player through missions. I sure feel ArmA already looked some kind of outdated but what alternatives are there?

I am looking forward to Arma2, and the RPG features are what I would put into such a game if it were mine.

I am also not giving up hope about OFP2 though. Last time I checked it still did not look like they want to turn this into a console game, in fact some of the features (like completely autogenerating terrain from satellite data) sounded really good (if done right).

P.S. I hope that also means persistent resource management between missions, ideal would be if the player manages weapons and personel and choses where to attack next. Though I am afraid that's not what we're going to get.

Burning Bridges

And I'd defintely prefer retro campaigns, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Tchechenya not modern US.

Fez

Erudite
Retro campaigns and alternate time line ones could be good. The original OPF worked well enough that way.

Kz3r0

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
And I'd defintely prefer retro campaigns, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Tchechenya not modern US.
Wishful thinking :?:

John_Blazze

Augur
GlobalExplorer said:
(like completely autogenerating terrain from satellite data) sounded really good (if done right).

It's probably as vital to OPF 2's gameplay as soil erosion and speed tree to oblivion's..

Suchy

Arcane
Maybe it's not vital for gameplay directly, but it's a great help for addon/mission makers - and thanks to those guys OFP is still being played.

Destroid

Arcane
It's just a shame the two games are coming at the same time - it will split was is largely a niche community (unless one game is clearly better).

Burning Bridges

John_Blazze said:
GlobalExplorer said:
(like completely autogenerating terrain from satellite data) sounded really good (if done right).

It's probably as vital to OPF 2's gameplay as soil erosion and speed tree to oblivion's..

I was expecting silly comments in that direction .. but think about it .. the kind of autogenerating they are envisioning for OFP2 is actually a good thing, giving you the ability to model whole countries just with available satellite data, and the computer places trees, cars, forests and such. this way game worlds could encompass the complete earth not so far away in the future. Actually Microsoft has already done it with their Flight sims, the next step will be to have real photorealistic fps environments.

Data4

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
John_Blazze said:
GlobalExplorer said:

I was expecting silly comments in that direction .. but think about it .. the kind of autogenerating they are envisioning for OFP2 is actually a good thing, giving you the ability to model whole countries just with available satellite data, and the computer places trees, cars, forests and such. this way game worlds could encompass the complete earth not so far away in the future. Actually Microsoft has already done it with their Flight sims, the next step will be to have real photorealistic fps environments.

Hmm... Flight Simulator's world coverage with Crysis-level detail at ground level...

Anyone remember Spectrum Holobyte? They had this dealie called the Electronic Battlefield series, which incorporated Falcon 3.0, a tank sim (the name of which escapes me), and a heli sim (ditto), all within a geographically realistic environment. This wasn't no Battlefield game, where you fly for 10 seconds and immediatly have to turn around because of being out of the "battle zone". It was friggin Iraq during Desert Storm.

This would be fucking awesome if done up like a MMO (subscription-free, of course) a la WW2 online, with realistic flight physics, and a groundwar that could be fought like ArmA/OFP.

Nael

Arcane
Data4 said:
Anyone remember Spectrum Holobyte? They had this dealie called the Electronic Battlefield series, which incorporated Falcon 3.0, a tank sim (the name of which escapes me), and a heli sim (ditto), all within a geographically realistic environment. This wasn't no Battlefield game, where you fly for 10 seconds and immediatly have to turn around because of being out of the "battle zone". It was friggin Iraq during Desert Storm.

That never got finished. You could play F16 against Mig 29 if you were lucky enough to get it to work, but that was about it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Destroid said:
It's just a shame the two games are coming at the same time - it will split was is largely a niche community (unless one game is clearly better).

One game is clearly better - OFP2 will be shite.
I mean - a hardcore game from Codemasters? lol

Suchy

Arcane
I've seen some interview video with a OFP2 dev and there was gameplay visible in the background. In general it looked pretty much like ArmA2 (couldn't see any details though, because of low quality), but I totally didn't like the way your guy holds a gun. Actually it doesn't look like he's really holding the gun (like in OFP and ArmA), it's just stuck to the right side of screen, always pointing center at center. Like in any random shooter, gives that feeling of flying blob with gun.
Here's the video http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0CfvnAzm ... ted&fmt=18

Fez

Erudite
I'm tempted to go and try OPF:Resistance again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom