Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battleturd 3

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If you can disable the DOF and bloom I'm sold, otherwise it can go fuck itself.

It would also be much better if they went either historical or full-blown futuristic. This 10 minutes into the future stuff doesn't come out very well in this type of game and just adds an unnecessary distraction.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
battleturd.jpg

ortucis

Prophet
They demoed the PC version and RPS put up a glowing preview. Maybe after all these years I will finally have a replacement for SWAT4 MP (will even get a faster connection for this game itself :P ).

Oh yeah, and a DX11 card for this and new UDK release. Wooo!

:love:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Came in expecting Battletoads.

Disappointed. RPGCodex is full of FPSFags.

Joghurt

Augur
I liked the fact that in the new trailer for an AAA game you could see WASD buttons :D

Otherwise - SP CoD clone

:x

Waiting for them to show MP

MetalCraze

Arcane
EA learned how to photoshop their screenshots?
Guess recent collaborations with Epic Games taught them something

Otherwise - SP CoD clone
It isn't SP CoD clone.
Shitty console shooters are all like that.

Relay

Educated
MapMan said:
Nothing pisses me off more than fucking retarded bloom, hdr and contrast pushed to the max. Jesus fucking christ. Are they blind?

This is part of the trend toward making cinematic games and faking the limitations of a... camera. Think about it. Think about depth of field. Even if the human eye blurs the background when you look at nearer objects, it doesn't blur half as much as a goddamn camera or modern vidja games. The "blur setting" of the DoF effect in video games uses the same amount of blurriness you'd get using a telephoto lens to take a portrait.
HDR in vidja games is the same, it's faking the way a cheap camera works, whitening all the highlights (loss of data) when you take a photo of a darker place. The cheap digicams take summer photograph that look like bloom in vidja games. And what they call "hdr" in vidjaspeak doesn't even have anything to do with HDR in professional photography, which is all about working around the goddamn limitation of a camera, taking multiple pictures, some under, some over exposed and blending them together to get the FULL FUCKING RANGE.

It all boils down to what you prefer : something that looks like footage from a cheap camera or something that mimics the human eye ? Or... something that is better than both (like what we call "hdr" in photographerspeak)
The gaming industry spoke : it likes its cheap cameras a lot. Which will never work in a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER since it should mimics the feeling of being inside the character, it's not a fucking third person game.

Destroid

Arcane
Yep. That's why I always turn all that shit off (especially motion blur and depth of field), it's retarded as hell.

Exmit

Scholar
Shitty console popamole with new gfx,,, hurr durr , not worth 1 minute of my time playing it.

MapMan

Arcane
Destroid said:
Yep. That's why I always turn all that shit off (especially motion blur and depth of field), it's retarded as hell.

Well, yeah. While you can disable that most of the time you cannot however disable color correction and fix shitty textures... I miss the times when games had some color, now its all fucking OMG REALISTIC (aka everything is grey)...

Data4

Arcane
MapMan said:
Destroid said:

Well, yeah. While you can disable that most of the time you cannot however disable color correction and fix shitty textures... I miss the times when games had some color, now its all fucking OMG REALISTIC (aka everything is grey)...

Doesn't help for shitty textures, but fiddling with gfx driver settings has been a godsend for games that cannot into reasonable contrast/brightness/saturation.

Marobug

LOL @ those claiming to hate battlefield for whatever reason but at the same time being a regular presence in this topic.

In a more serious note and even though I'm no fps fan, this is looking really good at leasy visually, me thinks.

Rogue

Educated
I really must add - as many pointed out - that the above screenshot is abysmal. I imagine that things look like that if you spent a day in a pitch black cave and drank a liter of vodka before going to sleep, emerging with a raging hangover.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Data4 said:
MapMan said:
Destroid said:

Doesn't help for shitty textures, but fiddling with gfx driver settings has been a godsend for games that cannot into reasonable contrast/brightness/saturation.
Howhowhow

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom