Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BLACKTAIL - Archery, Magic, and Slavic myths

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Looks great, I don't mind if there is not much exploration, puzzles, investigation, etc. after all. But I would really appreciate a game with heart at least once for a change.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I'm only 30 mins in, so I can't tell much about the overall quality of the whole thing, but the vibes I'm getting are indeed genuine, heartfelt, brooding, touch of twisted humor here and there too. Some elements, music score included, give chills right away. It'll be a nice December after all.

Sòren

Arcane
i understand why this thread was largely ignored (morgoth is not the best promoter of anything), but i felt the need to draw attention, as little as it might be, to this game.

gameplay-wise it's far from perfect, kind of repetitive. u have a limited arsenal at ur disposal, three different kind of arrows, "dashing" and magic. the RPG elements are negligible, u can max out most of the skill trees without much effort during one playthrough.

the visuals are great and i found the lore to be highly fascinating. good voiceovers. it has a lot of heart.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I played the demo when it was first announced and it was ok. I can't imagine the full game is worth the price tag, will wait for a sale.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
i understand why this thread was largely ignored (morgoth is not the best promoter of anything), but i felt the need to draw attention, as little as it might be, to this game.

gameplay-wise it's far from perfect, kind of repetitive. u have a limited arsenal at ur disposal, three different kind of arrows, "dashing" and magic. the RPG elements are negligible, u can max out most of the skill trees without much effort during one playthrough.

the visuals are great and i found the lore to be highly fascinating. good voiceovers. it has a lot of heart.

I felt that repetitiveness after some time, too. The game element's unfolded more after some time. Again. Strange, but I am glad I didn't give in to the mid-play crisis.

By unfolding, I mean several times more skills to apply during combat. Areas, situations, or quests I can't get to or solve yet because I don't have the appropriate equipment. E.g., I do absolutely nothing to crystals, and crystal-form enemies who kill me in two blows. When I accidentally stumble upon those in the heat of the combat, I just run for it. Combats have become more and more tense, AoEs, debuffing have become more important.

I understood the moral points better, and there are more choices to move to and fro between the bad, balanced, and good morals with the respective bonuses, buffs, or 'quests' outcomes now too. I have several active quests now, not just two. Quests usually have different moral outcomes. Evil shrooms now threaten me or mock me for being a stuck-up saint when I pass them by; good shrooms greet me with words of praise, eheh.

Etc.

I find the game really charming now. I sunk the whole weekend into it, not knowing where the time had gone. Last but not least, the voice-overs and the added dimension of the whole experience being narrated from two points of view are really great. And, lol, the actions and amicable voice of the protagonist herself and her wildly different, often sarcastic inner voice—just wonderful :P

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
It plays smooth, things make sense, it has all the neccessities of FPS with lite RPG and crafting. The overal decor isn't as outlandish as, say, Tim Burton's, so it's accessible to non-niche audiences too. Humor is ok, narration is great, the twists on the Slavic mythos are surprising and well-thought-of.

If you don't expect or don't need to compare it to System Shock 2 or Dishonored kind of FPS/RPG hybrids, I'd recommend it.

Sòren

Arcane

I felt that repetitiveness after some time, too. The game element's unfolded more after some time. Again. Strange, but I am glad I didn't give in to the mid-play crisis.

By unfolding, I mean several times more skills to apply during combat. Areas, situations, or quests I can't get to or solve yet because I don't have the appropriate equipment. E.g., I do absolutely nothing to crystals, and crystal-form enemies who kill me in two blows. When I accidentally stumble upon those in the heat of the combat, I just run for it. Combats have become more and more tense, AoEs, debuffing have become more important.

I understood the moral points better, and there are more choices to move to and fro between the bad, balanced, and good morals with the respective bonuses, buffs, or 'quests' outcomes now too. I have several active quests now, not just two. Quests usually have different moral outcomes. Evil shrooms now threaten me or mock me for being a stuck-up saint when I pass them by; good shrooms greet me with words of praise, eheh.

Etc.

I find the game really charming now. I sunk the whole weekend into it, not knowing where the time had gone. Last but not least, the voice-overs and the added dimension of the whole experience being narrated from two points of view are really great. And, lol, the actions and amicable voice of the protagonist herself and her wildly different, often sarcastic inner voice—just wonderful :P

the game's polished, it has very interesting story and lore to provide, the environments and its colours are not repulsive to the eyes, despite being very colourful, great voiceacting (much better than higher budget games from Obsidian for example). gameplay might not be that engaging, boss fights tend to repeat, as does the paradigm you engage certain enemies....but you can run past most of them anyway.

it's a highly tasteful and interesting game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom