Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodline Champions gone F2P/Open Beta

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Obligatory linkie: http://www.bloodlinechampions.com/

Coming in the heels of League of Leagends and Heroes of Newerth, some dudes made another entry into what marketing people want us to call the MOBA genre. I've given the videos they released in the past a looksee and was not sure if want. Anyhow, it's gone Free to play on the same model as League of Legends. IE: Some of the classes can be played, the ones available rotating at set intervals. Classes and cosmetic crap can be unlocked via ingame currency earned by playing the game, or by real money. (Or whichever kind of coloured glass they use in eastern europe converted into a real currency).

I assume most of Codexia is familiar with the other MOBA games (Defense of the Ancients (DotA), LoL, HoN and so forth), given that they've already been brought up before. And I know at least some of you have played LoL with me in the past. So I'll list how this new kid differs from the rest instead of going into detail about how the gameplay works).

1: Everything's a skillshot. In other games, many of your dudes special abilities requires you to click on (or near) a target and they'll hit. (Like useing abilities in most modern RTS'es). Skillshots (which is a crappy name, but that's what they call it) are aimed manually and can miss or be dodged. So a bit more actiony-top-down-shootery. Also, mouse is for aiming, movement is WASD.

2: Multiple small maps. A dozen at the moment, split between Arena (deathmatch), Capture the Artefact (capture the flag) and Conquest (capture and hold control points).

3: Short, quick matches. Instead of the tower control, farming up stuff in other games, this is more akin to first person shooters. You have a set number of lives (usually 1). Whichever team runs out first loses.

4: Your little dudes (called Bloodlines) have 6 abilities + an ultimate (as opposed to 3+ult in most other games), but won't be getting new levels or items as the round goes on.

5: It has sort-of-decent singleplayer bots. But given the game's more actionny and a lot less tactical than other entries in the genre, I guess coding an AI is a lot simpler.

So anyone got this? Anyone got any impressions? Anyone want to stomp my face into the ground (in game :P) and tell me what a tremendous n00blet I am on the european server?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I tried it, but I sucked horribly so I uninstalled it after a few matches.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yep. I was wondering why noone had made a thread about this before. a few hours with the game showed me why. It's not even bad in a way that makes it interesting to complain about. It's just bland and uninspired. Ah well. Kudos to funcom for making the game free so I didn't have to go to a dubious torrent site to find out it was a turd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom