Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Characters in iso mode

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ichpokhudezh said:
Hmm, so could the same principle applied in reverse? I.e. a char holding a dagger with two hands has a boost to skill/damage?
No. That would get too complicated. There are different attack types though that modify damage/accuracy/penetration/defense/speed (like Fallout 2 HtH attacks or KOTOR 2 lightsaber styles)

How would one choose a combo of 2h-weapon held as 1h + HtH attack option?
One doesn't. HtH is not an option for some reasons I have now forgotten. Probably to avoid the temptation to use dialogues lines like: "Hmm, your kung-fu is good, but <dramatic pause> my kung-fu is better!"

Vault Dweller said:
That's what I like about him too, and that's how it should be. Assassins operate openly, it's a respected craft. Think of lawyers, for example. They don't hide from you, they can be nice and pleasant, but the moment someone decides to sue you, that lawyer is after you. Nothing personal, it's business. Same here.

Being an undercover policeman who brings down Mafia kingpins is also a respectable occupation, but it's not something you announce to the world. Also, if you see a lawyer on the street, there's not a very real chance you'll find a knife in your gut if you let him get too close. At worse he'll serve you a subpoena. I can't imagine assassins working that effectively openly. If someone knows they've got a contract on them, they're going to make sure all the sneaky newcomers announcing their presence get disappeared, without a trace if possible. What's the worst case scenario? The assassin's guild finds out you killed their first assassin and sends another assassin after you? Oh noez. Yeah, maybe they'll go after your family as retribution, but some folks probably still won't really give a damn as long as they're still alive for another day.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Walks with the Snails said:
Being an undercover policeman who brings down Mafia kingpins is also a respectable occupation, but it's not something you announce to the world.
There are many ways. Who am I to tell you how to play an assassin? Suffice to say that there are several ways from sneaky to, well, not very sneaky. The difference is that some ways may work better (or not at all) with certain people.

Vault Dweller said:
There are many ways. Who am I to tell you how to play an assassin? Suffice to say that there are several ways from sneaky to, well, not very sneaky. The difference is that some ways may work better (or not at all) with certain people.

That's cool. That's pretty much what all I wanted to see, anyway. The idea that all assassins are expected to prance around like twits in thier official "assassin" gear that nobody ever thinks twice about until he stabs them and then walks away whistling just makes me cringe.

RGE

Liturgist
I'd say that lawyers are more like gladiators. Lawyers follow rules and have a set arena for their activities. When a lawyer is coming for you, they usually announce it through legal procedures. Assassins are more like the people who serve subpoenas, who do try to act inconspicious just in case the intended recepient would want to avoid being served.

I suppose that assassins could be like mobsters though: Obvious badguys who are protected by their organisation, so the only time it pays to mess with them is when you know they're coming for you. Which you wouldn't know if contracts are confidential. But how can people be reasonably certain that someone hasn't put a price on their heads? Easy targets ought to be cheap, so if your neighbours hate you, how can you know that they won't hire someone cheap to kill you? Yeah, you'd better hire someone before they do! :shock:

And that's how the world came to be what it is in AoD - people simply hired assassins to kill each other, because no one felt safe enough.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
i'd say your mom is like a cocksucker lol she's always got a dick in her mouth lolz

So, it's like a cold war gone hot with assassins instead of nukes?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Asssassins need a more casual outfit. They don't need to look like assassin, heh. :)
remember - they are surprise attackers that don't need the enemy to see and PHEAR them. Quite the opposite, they don't need to see them at all.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nobody's forcing you to wear this particular outfit. To kill someone is a quest. Every quest has 4-6 ways to complete it. You pick the way and an outfit that goes with it. Some people are better killed in a small fight, some people surround themselves with bodyguards and fighting your way through isn't the easiest way.

Point is though, assassins operate freely. They are a final way of settling disputes. They are not something that lurk in the night, although your particular character might be.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Do you still get bonuses from off hand (or second slot) items? Say I've got a sword in one hand and a "wavy" dagger in the other that provides, say, a 15% disarm bonus, do I get that disarm bonus even if the dagger isn't active?

Vault Dweller

Developer
No, not at the moment, although that could be easily fixed. If you are actually using the wavy dagger, you get the bonuses. If you are holding it while you are using something else, you don't. Anything else won't make sense. Disagree?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Agreed. The weapon bonus should only be in affect if you're using it. Unless it's some kind of defensive bonus.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
No, not at the moment, although that could be easily fixed. If you are actually using the wavy dagger, you get the bonuses. If you are holding it while you are using something else, you don't. Anything else won't make sense. Disagree?

I think this goes back to a discussion we were having ages ago, about two-weapon fighting being a defensive style rather than providing extra attacks (mainly because I'm not a fan of shields.) So for attacking bonuses, agreed - for defensive bonuses, I disagree.

Say you've got a superior crafted weapon in one hand (that provides a to-hit bonus) and a disarm dagger in the other - the to-hit bonus would only apply to the attacks with the superior crafted weapon. The disarm dagger would still offer it's bonus while you're defending though (if you can attack with it in a round, you can defend with it in a round.)

How do shields work? You just stick it in the other slot and it offers a defense bonus, correct? Weapons with defensive qualities should work the same way.

Vault Dweller

Developer
EEVIAC said:
I think this goes back to a discussion we were having ages ago
We should have more of those

So for attacking bonuses, agreed - for defensive bonuses, I disagree.
Hmm, good point. Done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom