Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ 4 manipulation

Tiliqua

Liturgist
I just got a copy of Civ 4 and will play it in the next week or so.

I hated Civ 3 but loved Civ 1 and 2. One of the things I loved about Civ 2 was that if you boosted science and wonder production you could get railroad etc by about 800AD. Is it possible to manipulate Civ4 in a similar manner?

LlamaGod

Cipher
yeah, kinda.

There are no eras like in Civ 3, it's just one big tech tree (but your city graphics change once you reach certain points in research).

Thing is, is mass science production you have to balance with spending money on expansion.

All science = not many towns
all expansion = incredibly poor or incredibly low research rates

Civ 4 is quite different from the other Civs. It retains the original ideas, but it's a whole new game.

It's pretty good, though and I think making a whole new game is better then trying to take an old one and 'update' it ala Civ 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tiliqua said:
I hated Civ 3 but loved Civ 1 and 2. One of the things I loved about Civ 2 was that if you boosted science and wonder production you could get railroad etc by about 800AD. Is it possible to manipulate Civ4 in a similar manner?
Yeah, that's what I hated about Civ 3 too. In Civ 2 I could get the space race victory in about 1300 AD on Chieftain without trying too hard (IE: Going nuts on science strategy). In Civ 3, even on Chieftain, it was impossible unless you were a compete Civ Hardcore addict who could do all sorts of shit. I enjoy my Civ games for the "easy fun" aspect and not the hardcore strategy. Keep that shit to the harder difficulty levels. In fact, it's one reason I don't really play Civ 3 at all (evee since I bought it, in fact). The lack of ability to pummel the AI into the ground with tanks while they still have Pikemen was lost.

Anonymous

The good thing about Civ 3 was the areas of control, it really made the game alot more complex. I'll admit that the style of play is very different, but you can still pull out the tanks versus pikeman if you get a little bit of luck early one, either through your starting position or with a few barbarian tribes you find.

Jason

chasing a bee
Why isn't Civ 4 winning Gamespot's Strat Game of the Year in the news section? Get on it bitches. Gamespot waits for no one. Afterall, they have their own Alternative Sports section and I don't even know what that means.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I didn't think awards where that big of a deal to post.

It got PC Strategy Game of the Year on Shacknews, too.

Unanimous decision that Civ 4 roolz and AOE3 droolz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom