Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company of Heroes

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Apparantly, the guys who did Dawn of War are making a new RTS, this one set in WW2. WW2 gets about 9x10^10000 FPSes, but not very many RTS games.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/com ... e=previews
That preview is full of "revolutionary" and "push the boundary", no "epic" as far as I could see, but I might've missed one., So far, I'm not really all that sure how this game is going to play. I don't know if it is squad based like Dawn of War...they said they were keeping some parts of the Dawn of War resource model, though, and the weapons are going to be "authentic" rather than "realistic," whatever that means, but he did say that you won't be able to hurt tanks with mere rifles, stuff like that.
Also, I wonder why they (THQ) named their new game engine after women's perfume.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the demo, whenever it's coming out.

Section8

Cipher
I prefer the company of heroines. Or failing that, just plain old heroin.

Anyway, I can't help but think RTS is the most stagnant genre, especially when a game that's getting close to ten years old still holds the crown in the mind of most. But, I'll grab a trailer and see how this one looks. Relic have at least one fairly original RTS under their belt, so maybe it will show some promise.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I dunno about totally stagnant. I found Ground Control 2 both original in it's mechanics and enjoyable, especially in multiplayer. Seems like no other developer is willing to adopt any of the ideas presented there, though. DOW looked as if it might head down a similar route, but upon release I found it had more in common with Starcraft than GC2. Not that it was a bad game, it just relied on a few mechanics that I've never been overly fond of (i.e. the all important factor in success being the order in which you build/research and how fast you can progress through the tech tree, instead of the logistical/tactical organization of your forces).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom