Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cthulhu RPG game art.

Does this picture fit a horror game?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• I don't know or care, go away.

• Total voters

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, the town looks way too medieval at some points (like the central building with a spire. As always with Lovecraft towns, you should take cues from New England colonial towns). Overall, I think it should be less dense more than anything, it looks too much like a city. In fact, I like that it's bright, clear and sunny, but with a cover of fog. If the locale looks sinister to begin with, a more secretive horror like what's under Kingsport wouldn't work. It's not Innsmouth. It should look like a quaint little port with old wooden houses and market squares.

zenbitz

Scholar
Reminds me of "A Wizard of Earth Sea" by Ursula Le Guin.

Nice drawing though.

I think this would be superb fantasy art. For Cthulhu, I can't say, I usually think about Cthulhu in black & white. Check these out : http://www.haroldarthurmcneill.com/cont ... tings.html

Victor Pflug said:
Also, what does everyone think about game art these days in general?
Is there room for experimentation and branching out from the norm? Must all spaceships be black behemoths?
Does space armor always have to look like fucking rejects from a Starship Troopers storehouse? They bloody well wouldn't if I had any say over it...

In general, game art these days lacks the sort of character I feel older games had, not that I have played a lot of new games. It's too slick, too cold somehow. I don't know why old DOS games with crap resolution somehow feel more alive than anything new.

Of course there is room for experimentation, however it's good to remember that naturally experimentation also produces failures.

RatFink

Educated
i have to agree with the discworld crowd!
that was my initial thought.

i dont like the overall feel of it.

the problem i see with lovecraft artwork is that oh make it squiddy, make it slimey, make it tangled!
id much rather go with what derleth chose.
its tales of macabre..of weird..of abstract..of unspeakable..not of completely refined/defined slimeyness or a big picture of a squidmonster tangled in its own arms.
but that's just in general for lovecraftian artwork.
granted..you did go for kingsmouth..a town and not something unspeakable, so technically it's good work but it doesn't deliver on the lovecraft mood for me.

but strangely i do like that old picture of the yithians
emo-emot-smug.gif

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The city looks good, but as already mentioned, a bit too medieval. The sky should be bit darker, more cloudy maybe or have a more "sickening" color.

Also, I always thought gravure/relief style paintings (mostly as b&w prints in old-styled books) would blend well with Chtulhu mythos.

EDIT: weren't you making a modern horror-adventure game ? what happened to that ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom